NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Default The Strange Saga of the Autographed B&W Hall of Fame Plaque Postcards

In the interest of sharing information , thought I'd post this story which I'm asked about often instead of repeating it over and over . Most long time collectors and dealers are aware of it but it still surprises me how many haven't.
In the 1980's I was visiting the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown in the winter. I loved visiting the Hall in the winter because there was never anyone there , there was snow on the ground it was cold and you could walk around inside the HOF and not see a soul, Like being in your own private museum. Anyway I remember on my way out stopping at the gift shop and along with the usual trinkets they sell there were boxes upon boxes of the old Black and White Hall of Fame plaque postcards all in mint condition , There must have been at least a few thousand. I thought they had stopped selling those in the 1950's or 60's so I asked the clerk and she said they had stumbled across the boxes in storage and had just that week put them out for sale.
I walked down the street and into a gift shop and MORE boxes of black and white plaques which they had bought as overflow from the Hall with a slight markup in price and were selling them too.
I always liked the look of those old style plaques displayed with autographs and was going to buy a bundle of them because they were priced pretty cheap but didn't want to jockey them around with me on the airplane so I asked about shipping and was told it was no problem. I enjoyed the rest of my vacation and when I got back home a couple weeks later I called the Hall to place my order and guess what ?......SOLD OUT. I figured there must be some mistake so I called the gift shop down the street and to my surprise they too were SOLD OUT
So I figured since they were priced so reasonably that someone smarter than myself knew a bargain when they saw it and that was that. UNTIL ABOUT A MONTH LATER....................
In those days not EVERYONE was an autograph dealer that sold baseball autographs so I used to get ALOT of mail from people selling their collections. I still do today but back then it was Crazy ! In fact even when I used to do card shows if someone walked in the door with a box of autographs the dealers who were all selling baseball cards would tell them "You got autographs ? Go see Jim"
So now I start getting mail from all over the country with ....you guessed it , Autographed Black and White Hall of Fame Plaque collections , and not just one part of the country , they were coming out of Mississippi, Lousiana, NY, etc etc , complete with photo copies and the signatures looked convincing , many were even inscribed. All from different people that when I called them on the phone and asked them where they got em ...all seemed to have the same thing in common. "My grandfather.....blah, blah, blah"
I tipped off all of the other collectors and dealers I knew who amazingly were all getting the same offers that I was. It was easy to network then.
So Maybe it was just a coincidence that all the Hall's plaques got bought up at exactly the same time as dozens of "Plaque Collections" hit the market. Maybe I am just a cynic
Anyway rumors began swirling about where those things ended up, and one of the stories was that a well known autograph dealer (now out of business) and another well known dealer (now deceased) bought most of them. But it was after that the trail went cold. So probably some well intentioned individual realizing his folly destroyed them all and that was the end of the story. Or Maybe not. But to this day after over 30 years as a collector/dealer I can count on maybe one hand the number of tough signed HOF Black and White plaques I've bought and sold and always tracked the provenance back beyond that day at the Hall of Fame when I looked at ALL THOSE boxes of plaques and asked myself "What would somebody DO with all these ?"
Old 10-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Richard Simon

Sounds like Chapter 9 in the life story of Ron Dross.
He bought them and pulled off a huge scam, nailing a couple of dealers in the process for big bucks.
I still have the photocopies from this scam.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-02-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Default JimStinson

I had heard that Dross was involved but I have always suspected it was more than one person , Because some of the forgeries were REALLY convincing and while I will admit the fakes that Dross was cranking out could fool alot of people especially compared to the relatively crude stuff that was floating around back then. Alot of the ones I looked at and still have copies of would fool most people and in fact have !
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Richard Simon

I was actively doing New York shows at that time and the 100% consensus in NY was that Dross was the one and only forger though he had a front man selling them for him. I cannot remember the name of the front man but I know of at least three New York area dealers who bought this crap. I bought some of them, sight unseen, with a money back guarantee. I bought them from one of those New York dealers but as soon as I saw them I returned them and got my money back.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-02-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 AM
MICHAEL

Default The front man

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsimon View Post
i was actively doing new york shows at that time and the 100% consensus in ny was that dross was the one and only forger though he had a front man selling them for him. I cannot remember the name of the front man but i know of at least three new york area dealers who bought this crap. I bought some of them, sight unseen, with a money back guarantee. I bought them from one of those new york dealers but as soon as i saw them i returned them and got my money back.
for ron dross....was "bobby moore". He disappeared at the exact same time ron did, ron's dead...for along time. I was close friends with a lawyer who told me that, as he had handled dross's divorce also. Dross even gave the lawyer a few fake balls which i saw in the guys office and i told him they were fake. Thats when he told me he got them from dross and i said....oh, boyyyy...lol....

Thats how i found out ron had died....this happened in 1997 or so.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERTO View Post
for ron dross....was "bobby moore". He disappeared at the exact same time ron did, ron's dead...for along time. I was close friends with a lawyer who told me that, as he had handled dross's divorce also. Dross even gave the lawyer a few fake balls which i saw in the guys office and i told him they were fake. Thats when he told me he got them from dross and i said....oh, boyyyy...lol....

Thats how i found out ron had died....this happened in 1997 or so.
--