NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Kevin

Question Babe Ruth Signature - Opinions & Comments Welcome!

Hey all,

Just added a piece from a guy I never thought I'd own, Just wanted to share it with you and opinions on signature and how to go about displaying it are very much welcome!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Banned

Not trying to sound like a dick but what made you buy a cut like that and not a index card or something like that
Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 AM

Certainly it has to do with price, but it's an outstanding bold example of his signature.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
Not trying to sound like a dick but what made you buy a cut like that and not a index card or something like that
Are you sure?
Old 01-20-2016, 05:32 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Certainly it has to do with price, but it's an outstanding bold example of his signature.
I certainly agree with Scott it comes down to price sometimes but that is a great example of his signature
Old 01-20-2016, 06:06 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Ruth

Why didn't you buy a '52 Mantle PSA 10? Certainly we all have funds to buy high end stuff here.....right? 😒

Congrats on the Ruth. Really a cool piece. Find an inexpensive photo and frame/mat together. Great color on it.!!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Congrats on the Babe Ruth.
My first Babe Ruth autograph was a cut 25 years ago. Then a few years later I sold it to buy a Babe Ruth autographed GPC and so on . Now I have 5 Babe Ruth autographed items.
I would not let this be my only Babe Ruth autograph, because better ones are out there that are affordable. To me this is a great entry level piece.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
Hey all,

Just added a piece from a guy I never thought I'd own, Just wanted to share it with you and opinions on signature and how to go about displaying it are very much welcome!
Awesome piece. I would try to tap it straight in the slab (be careful as I broke out a card doing that once), and then matt it with a nice photo, assuming you have some place to display it that is out of the sunlight.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Why do you buy cheap photos, rather than the multi-thousand dollar ones?

BTW, that's a trimmed (heavily trimmed!) GPC, and a beautiful autograph.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Understandable question, and to the points of several on here, it came down to a few reasons. Price was definitely part of the equation, but to be honest, I can get over the shape, its the boldness of the signature itself, the condition on the overall piece and the fact that it included the salutation. I have seen much duller sigs on index cards or penciled autos/lined paper sigs sell for more because the shape was as you described, but the auto wasn't as nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Thank you, Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
Why didn't you buy a '52 Mantle PSA 10? Certainly we all have funds to buy high end stuff here.....right? ��

Congrats on the Ruth. Really a cool piece. Find an inexpensive photo and frame/mat together. Great color on it.!!
Thanks! I thought I'd pick up a few '52 Mantle's this weekend with my extra savings from this auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Congrats on the Babe Ruth.
My first Babe Ruth autograph was a cut 25 years ago. Then a few years later I sold it to buy a Babe Ruth autographed GPC and so on . Now I have 5 Babe Ruth autographed items.
I would not let this be my only Babe Ruth autograph, because better ones are out there that are affordable. To me this is a great entry level piece.
Thanks, and yes this is, indeed, my first very first Ruth auto, and took me trading away a couple of other nice pieces with some Cash on top to get it. This was always my dream auto, I never thought a day would come where I'd be fortunate enough to own an autograph of his but now that's been realized and I am very grateful for that. I, like many collectors, am certainly am open to upgrading it down the line, but for my first piece I think it's a great bold example and was happy with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Awesome piece. I would try to tap it straight in the slab (be careful as I broke out a card doing that once), and then matt it with a nice photo, assuming you have some place to display it that is out of the sunlight.
It does tap straight as I was able to do it before, and will obviously do so before framing it. As for framing, fortunately, it resides in a room with no direct sunlight, which is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post

Thanks David!

Yes, you are correct (not surprising), it's on a GPC. You are able to see the original addressee and postage mark indicating the year on the back (I can add a photo of that id there is any interest).

As for anyone wondering why this signature/cut, I wish I was fortunate enough to have an extra 5-10k available for a "nicer" Ruth but that's just not the case, I had to sacrifice a nice Jackie Index Card and a Clemente cut plus a little bit of cash to get this and am quite OK with having done that.

Last edited by Kco; 01-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

True. I apologize if i offended anyone with my question. That was certainly not my intention and i shouldve re-worded it differently.

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 01-20-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Are you sure?
Positive. It was a simple question

Kco- great pick-up. Congrats

Last edited by JoeyFarino; 01-20-2016 at 10:17 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-20-2016, 11:20 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i'd make a custom card out of that. the sig is great, but the cut/slab combo is not very aesthetically appealing.

with the sincerely it might be too big for a tradition card but maybe a 5x7.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-20-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:21 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i'd make a custom card out of that. the sig is great, but the cut/slab combo is not very aesthetically appealing.

with the sincerely it might be too big for a tradition card but maybe a 5x7.

It's definitely a cool idea Chad. I do like how that one is mounted to the card it's very elegant looking. The other option I've considered is getting it mounted onto a similar color 3x5 index card and reslabbing/framing that way
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i wouldn't have it glued onto anything so the process can't be reversed. i'd get it "sandwiched" in between the custom...it may get loosy/floaty like you see sometimes with the topps insert stuff but i'd rather sacrifice some of that then being glued on. for cheaper sigs i probably wouldn't care but with a ruth i'd be more discerning...ymmv.

there are a couple good custom people on the board.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-22-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Just leave it as it is. Why would you ever make a baseball card out of it? It is what it is. It doesn't need to be beautified.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Just leave it as it is. Why would you ever make a baseball card out of it? It is what it is. It doesn't need to be beautified.
Hey David, I wouldn't make a baseball card out of it. My thoughts currently are to keep it in encapsulated, tap it straight and mount the PSA holder with framers tape to a background which can be matched in color to the GPC. This will ensure the case stays damage free and it doesn't look as if the cut is floating too much.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Michael I.

Kevin, That is a really good looking Ruth auto!! I agree with David I would keep it as is. Great pick up!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Best Ruth cut I've seen.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Best Ruth cut I've seen.
+ 1 I really am impressed with the cut...wish I would have saw it first...