NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Tim B
Banned

Fred,

I am aware of all your good work. And the dating of the Mantle photo seems plausible though I don't know if it's 100% conclusive. My sister in law makes the same face in every photo she posts on snapchat and Instagram so I'd be comfortable with 90-95%.

Hope that's ok. Also, I know people had mentioned contacting General Mills - what about tracking the photo from the photographers end?

I hope this is all ok - I own one now and I'm not trying to mess with its 1951 designation. I suppose without proof from General Mills or Wheaties this will be a 1951 'card.'

Thanks to those who posted theirs. Anyone else got one?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbegs View Post
Fred,

I am aware of all your good work. And the dating of the Mantle photo seems plausible though I don't know if it's 100% conclusive. My sister in law makes the same face in every photo she posts on snapchat and Instagram so I'd be comfortable with 90-95%.

Hope that's ok. Also, I know people had mentioned contacting General Mills - what about tracking the photo from the photographers end?

I hope this is all ok - I own one now and I'm not trying to mess with its 1951 designation. I suppose without proof from General Mills or Wheaties this will be a 1951 'card.'

Thanks to those who posted theirs. Anyone else got one?
Tim:

I did no work. Only asked the question. Others DOCUMENTED WHEN the photo was taken.

It's no skin off my nose if you accept it it 100% or the 90-95% you are comfortable with.

Just curious how you can not be 100% when the photo was taken at the World Series in 1952. What more do you need to convince you?

You say your sister in law makes the same face in all her photos? Is her entire pose the exact same? Her eyebrow not raised in one? Her elbow in the same exact position, her lips parted the same, her fingers on the same exact place on her bat, her hat the same distance from her ear?

Get what I am driving at?

When is your birthday? How can you be sure? Your parents told you, but other than that what proof do you have? I would be skeptical if I were you. :>) just as you are about when the photo was taken.

I do agree that it is too late to change any designation for the set. It will always be 1951 Wheaties even though there is now proof ( in some of our eyes) that it can't be 1951, and I have seen no proof it is even a Wheaties issue. It looks more like an early version of the Jay publishing photos to me.

Fred
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 AM
Chris

Default Here's mine.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Tim B
Banned

Fred,

If I saw a legitimate looking copy of my birth certificate with a date of yesterday - yes, I'd question it. And my sister in laws pictures would surprise you.

Funnies aside, I say 90-95 percent because in the earlier thread you contributed to we had a Getty Image with a date of '1955' that momentarily 'proved' the photo could not be from 1951. Then we got another photo that 'proved' the image was from 1952. Forgive me for being skeptical when we are relying on type set on the back of a 65 year old photo to determine the authentic date of it being taken. I mean, we've already had two examples that claimed to be conclusive 'proof' that this card was not a 1951 issue, one of which was already disproved. I could type 1951 on my senior portrait from High School but that doesn't make it from 1951.

Do YOU get what I'M driving at, Fred?

Like I already mentioned, I am looking for a smoking gun. What you have provided is very solid circumstantial evidence but without the photographer testimony about the date I don't reach 100% certainty. I appreciate you jumping back in and I have read the other thread from start to finish. Great read, for sure.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Tim:

I did no work. Only asked the question. Others DOCUMENTED WHEN the photo was taken.

It's no skin off my nose if you accept it it 100% or the 90-95% you are comfortable with.

Just curious how you can not be 100% when the photo was taken at the World Series in 1952. What more do you need to convince you?

You say your sister in law makes the same face in all her photos? Is her entire pose the exact same? Her eyebrow not raised in one? Her elbow in the same exact position, her lips parted the same, her fingers on the same exact place on her bat, her hat the same distance from her ear?

Get what I am driving at?

When is your birthday? How can you be sure? Your parents told you, but other than that what proof do you have? I would be skeptical if I were you. :>) just as you are about when the photo was taken.

I do agree that it is too late to change any designation for the set. It will always be 1951 Wheaties even though there is now proof ( in some of our eyes) that it can't be 1951, and I have seen no proof it is even a Wheaties issue. It looks more like an early version of the Jay publishing photos to me.

Fred
Would have been a lot easier to simply get another photo of Mantle in the same pose at the same angle than to clean up the '52 photo and add the pinstripes. Far from proven it is the very same photo. I seem to recall that Bob Lemke categorized it as being from '51 based on them originally coming out when a Wheaties exec retired (Mantle's consent to use the photo was reportedly never obtained) and that person's statements regarding the date of origin. But to each his own. That the grading companies have not changed the date of issue may or may not be significant, but I think it's hardly likely that they simply are ignorant of the threads appearing on Net54. For my money, it will stay a 1951 issue long after all the posts here have been forgotten. Quite a nice early Mantle in any event, and it is in fact a card rather than an actual photo, as it has a halftone printing dot pattern.

Just my buck and a half's worth.

Regards,

Larry