NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default Worst Trim Job Ever????

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2784637695&category=16271

Note the bottom border...and the seller's claim that he was just about ready to submit this card to PSA for crossover...

Old 02-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

nice bulge. Looks like the bottom boarder is putting a little weight in the middle

Jay

Old 02-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

I sent this guy this-

" could you kindly close this auction when the card has minutes left andsend the card into PSA ( The 56 mantle in the PRO holder ) and I will secure it from you by paying you four times whatever it closes at here. How about that?
I prefer PSA graded cards and it seems like you need money so I will help you realize the most you can from this card! your thoughts? "

The response should be slightly entertaining!

Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I actually offered him $1000 for the card as long as it was graded by PSA--no matter what grade it receives. Still waiting for a response....

Old 02-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Picking on the "ethically-challenged".

Old 02-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Administrator

It looks like some of those professionally re-backed N172's sold recently on ebay (plethora of them that the seller advertised as such, and did a fantastic job on the restoration) are making their way back to ebay, sans "re-backed" description. I could be wrong, but then again I could be right...doh...doh...Who would do such a thing?

Any opinions on near-perfectly re-backed OJ's circulating in the market?

Old 02-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I think so too.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

This has got to be the best trim job ever, it made it by our favorite PROFESSIONAL graders:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2785530155&category=31718

For you PSA lovers out there, HOW many times do you have to see nonsense like this to think this company has a chance in hell for a future market, they are becoming PRO jr.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Administrator

At least they labeled the Lundgren card MC, lmao!!! All that room left in the slab might be a clue that the card has been trimmed just a little.

Jay

Old 02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Administrator

You have to use your common sense on this type of thing. The card is short, but that happens. Corner wear is consistent all the way around, and...what reason would anyone have to cut the top off of the original card? It's a mis-cut.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Administrator

last post sounded a little mean - unintentional. I know both of you have loads of common sense.

I have seen a bunch of short t206's that look very similar to this one, so I'm assuming it's a production problem that happened every now and then.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: slacks

<<For you PSA lovers out there, HOW many times do you have to see nonsense like this to think this company has a chance in hell for a future market, they are becoming PRO jr.>>

Oh, please. If you're going to bash PSA, it's not too hard to find misgraded cards, but you're stretching.

I think it's safe to say the PSA has "a chance in hell for a future market." The sky's not falling.

This is a miscut card.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

My above post is in reference to the ugly Lundgren card.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Why should he have taken your $1000, he ended up with $1250 - in that nice PRO plastic.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ward

that PSA didn't have a chance in hell. Damn, when is today going to come?

Tackle that beast if you can. Ford makes great cars (LMAO) but they're not out of business.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Can you guys honestly tell me that you would buy thes cards that are constantly put up to demonstrate how consistantly bad PSA has become. If the Lundgren was as it says EX (MC) it should have gone for at least double if not higher. If you have so much confidence in PSA you should be buying up all these examples that are posted on the board, they come at a bargain price the grade put on them.

Oh, but we are smarter than that and do not bid because the card is serioously flawed and we know it even thoough the professional grader says otherwise.

That's All

be Good

Lee

Old 02-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Administrator

We need to remember that not all trimming has been done in the last 15 years. Don Mcpherson and others did it ages ago for purely innocent reasons. The years would have allowed for 'normal' wear to occur if someone who was not a 'true' collector that took care of their cards.

I've seen short cards, but that would most likely ahve to be the shortest ever legitimate t206. There is just way too much space between the top of the card and the top of where a normal size card would go.

Jay

Old 02-13-2004, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Lee - Just because I don't believe it has been altered doesn't mean that I don't think it is a butt-ugly card I'd never want in my collection.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Jay - what is the incentive to cut the top off of a card?

Wouldn't this card have looked way way nicer if a little had been cut off the top, and a little off the bottom?

PSA slabbed it as mis-cut, which is exactly what they should have done provided it fit within their acceptable guidelines for the length of a t206 - if not, then they shouldn't have slabbed it.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Administrator

<<If the Lundgren was as it says EX (MC) it should have gone for at least double if not higher>>

Lee - you would be right if collectors ONLY bought the holder, and didn't look at the card. Just because people don't want to pay book value for a holder that contains an ugly example of the grade, doesn't mean that the card has been trimmed.

<<Oh, but we are smarter than that and do not bid because the card is serioously flawed and we know it even thoough the professional grader says otherwise.>>

You nailed it. The professional grader marked it "MC", which is exactly what the card is. Until PSA comes up with a designation for the severity of the miscut, this has to do. Some miscut cards are uglier than others - this is perhaps the ugliest in existence.

I have an SGC40 t206 black cap Matty that has near-perfect corners, perfect surface, perfect registration and color; however, it has two wrinkles that don't break the paper, but knock it technically down to "VG". On the other hand, we have all seen SGC40 examples with rounded corners, poor gloss, stains, and terrible registration. It's a no-brainer which card you would pay the most for.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

The SGC40 on the left, or the SGC50 on the right
(left out slabs to reduce space and concentrate on card detail)

Old 02-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Here is my Matty with surface wrinkles graded SGC30:

Old 02-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Administrator

too many wrinkles, regardless of whether or not they break the paper of significantly affect the presentability, hammer the grade.

I would take your 30 over the 50 any day (assuming the back's as clean), but I like my 40. If I ever decided to sell it I would definitely crack it out, but my "permanent" collection is all SGC-encased, for safety and presentability.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joshua

It is fairly obvious to me that the T-206 Lundgren is trimmed from looking at the space in the holder...but odds are it was trimmed long ago on the bottom, not the top. Several miscut T-206s have been trimmed over the years to remove the remnant of the top of another card that was left after the original factory miscut. This might be the case here...no cut off the top, it was already miscut and the person just cut below the name to remove the extra picture. I have seen miscuts with the second picture often enough.