NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Default 1975 Clarence Mengler Baseball's Best

I figure I'll post about these too as long as I'm in the "M" section of my Standard Catalog. Has anyone put together a full set of these or at least possess the Ralph Garr error? I have a handful of these but am always looking for more Carews. One note for anyone looking for their player: I found that some of my cards have a copyright line stamped on the back in either red or black and have received confirmation that the 1st two series can be found with either the stamp or blank on the back. Here's one of mine with the stamp:

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM

I just got the Lou Brock one on ebay a few months back, the return address was Mr. Mengler, so he apparently has a jillion left from 35 years ago, or he let the presses run again.

he also threw in a few extras, some had the stamp on the back some did not.

chicagosportsmiley is the ebay id
Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Mr. Mengler sent me a Twins set which is how I got my Carew. I've bought Menglers from him several times now. He is also the source of pretty much all of my info on the set. He told me when I first contacted him that he had used his cards as scratch paper for years. He indicated that few sets had been sold before he had to shut down, so if you even supposed that he had half of the initial inventory that's 10,000+ cards he would have been left with. He's a great seller to deal with and has always been generous with sending extra cards.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Is he an artist? Did he draw the picture of the player or have someone else do it?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Keith Peterson did the drawings. He's the Peterson in "Mengler-Peterson".
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM

These were absolutely impossible to find until Mr. Mengler started selling them on ebay.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
These were absolutely impossible to find until Mr. Mengler started selling them on ebay.
Here is what Mengler told me when I asked him about the set:

"I probably sold 25 complete sets. i think around 200 or so were printed of the 1st 2 or 3 series and around 100 of the last 2 series."
Old 01-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Hello, first post here... a search for Mengler turned this forum and this thread specifically up for me...

I am searching for a Mengler Johnny Bench card... any leads would be greatly appreciated... I don't think I have ever seen one before...

I can't wait to browse around and see what interesting things are on this site too...

Thanks!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Bob F.

I have an almost-complete set (no Gaar....er, Garr). I love the Standard Catalog price of $4.00 for that card--I'd pay $100 easily.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Al Richter

Default Welcome

Welcome to the board, Jason. You have already run into Bob, who has the best post war collection of cards I know of. But, unfortunately he is not all that interesting.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-05-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
But, unfortunately he is not all that interesting.
You sweet talker.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 PM

I am ECSTATIC to announce that I finally have in my possession a 1975 Mengler Johnny Bench card... but it gets better... I also have the ORIGINAL pencil sketch of the Bench that is also SIGNED by Bench... I am going to take a hit on the unsigned card for a corner or two, but I HAVE to have it graded for my PSA Master Bench set...

I will probably also have the Stargell and Concepion cards graded too since I have them now... I can never reveal the price of the Bench cards, but I can tell you I wouldn't sell them for $10,000...

I call them my unicorns!!!

Sorry if I am over excited, I have been collecting Johnny Bench stuff since I was about 11 years old in 1985 and I have NEVER seen one of these for sale, let alone the obvious rarity of the 1 of 1 signed original sketch...

That being said... I am interested in any other Bench Mengler cards that show up on the market in the future only because I feel I will be lucky to see a VG3 or 4 on this one due to the corner... it is still BEAUTIFUL to me and I will cherish it even if it receives a PR1...

The Stargell I am not going to part with either, but I could be persuaded to swap the Concepion and some cash on my end for another Bench in hopes of a slightly better grade...
Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Curt

scans, man…where are the scans!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason94Cobra View Post
I am ECSTATIC to announce that I finally have in my possession a 1975 Mengler Johnny Bench card... but it gets better... I also have the ORIGINAL pencil sketch of the Bench that is also SIGNED by Bench... I am going to take a hit on the unsigned card for a corner or two, but I HAVE to have it graded for my PSA Master Bench set...

I will probably also have the Stargell and Concepion cards graded too since I have them now... I can never reveal the price of the Bench cards, but I can tell you I wouldn't sell them for $10,000...

I call them my unicorns!!!

Sorry if I am over excited, I have been collecting Johnny Bench stuff since I was about 11 years old in 1985 and I have NEVER seen one of these for sale, let alone the obvious rarity of the 1 of 1 signed original sketch...

That being said... I am interested in any other Bench Mengler cards that show up on the market in the future only because I feel I will be lucky to see a VG3 or 4 on this one due to the corner... it is still BEAUTIFUL to me and I will cherish it even if it receives a PR1...

The Stargell I am not going to part with either, but I could be persuaded to swap the Concepion and some cash on my end for another Bench in hopes of a slightly better grade...