NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Slight taping of old cardboard display pieces, Large Drum box?

Hey guys,
Just a quick question per some items I have on display. I fully understand, as I have read the board a few times now , that most taping of display pieces is a no-no. That being said I have a few old, tattered, cardboard items that I feel would be much better to be reinforced with some archival scotch tape I have. One is a Coupon Cigarettes carton and the other is this ebay item, a very large Drum Carton, pictured below in auction. There were no bids for a few days, so I asked the seller if there was a price they would take for it, they gave one and I bought it. It has some dangling and torn pieces. Should I ever so carefully use the archival, clear tape to help? I can't imagine it (them) losing value because of it, but I want other thoughts before I do it. I will put the tape on places it won't show, as much as possible. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330610347292
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Leon,

If a little tape makes the item display better, and makes you feel better about the way it looks, I say go right ahead. If the items are already tattered, I don't think you can do much to hurt their value.
I love the fact that you display companion items to go with your cards, and I have recently done the same.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Adam B

Leon- IMO- The box you bought on ebay looks pretty good to me. Maybe you could try those acid free glue dots, this may help keep a box top down or the side of the box from protruding. IMO- I don't see a problem taping the box if you don't go crazy with it. I would probaby look at each box differently based on value and condition and determine when and where to apply the tape. Either way go with your gut.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks

Thanks guys. Any other comments are welcome too. I guess we always have to at least keep in mind the day when we might sell, so that is sort of the premise behind the questioning. If I were to buy one of these I don't think I would mind some reinforced tears, especially with small pieces of archival tape.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The little glue dots would be far superior to taping, IMO. But the Box really doesn't look that bad to me. I would leave it as-is, but if you feel compelled to alter it, go with the glue (as it is far less conspicuous than the tape). Future re-sale would be better as well....
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Leon,

As others have said, I would probably leave it alone as well, unless one of the flaps was about to come off. It displays nicely and is a cool box. I had a very similar situation where a dealer had a BIN for a tobacco box but didn't sell, so I put in an offer and it was accepted.