NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2019, 01:00 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Funding your hobby...

Does anyone actively look to "buy low, sell high" with stuff online or elsewhere in order to make cash on the side to fund your hobby? I've had the inverse of that equation down for decades now, :-) but seriously. Increasingly I think this may be something I would have the ability to do if I could be disciplined about it. I've just never approached buying cards with that mindset. (Normally my style is more of the "buy now, figure out how to fund it later..." variety).

If so I would be interested in any specific pointers, thoughts folks have. I know for example waiting out auctions at deals over high-priced Buy-It-Now's would probably be one tactic.

Thanks.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-12-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Michael G0nz@lez

Depending on exactly what you collect, you could buy lots from which you only need/want a few cards, and part out the rest of the lot individually. In some cases, you can essentially get the cards you wanted for free, or nearly so.

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Rich

I just sneak money out of my wife's purse...
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Albert Bee

Default buy low sell high

I think many guys stay glued to Ebay in that hope of - Wow, I steal that ..and I can turn it around for a profit. Most times when you add the shipping and now this annoying" state sales tax "or some other add on.....it doesnt work out..especially when - after all is said and done..that 57T Drysdale which cost you $ 29, you barely sell it for $34 a month later !

Also, when an item it bought off ebay..and then attempted to be sold on Net54....dont you think most passionate collectors have seen it..maybe even bid on it
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
..especially when - after all is said and done..that 57T Drysdale which cost you $ 29, you barely sell it for $34 a month later !
This story sounds very familiar, except with me it was a '57 Koufax in about VG condition 15 or so years ago - that I bought for $50 and probably sold for $40.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default Funding your hobby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I just sneak money out of my wife's purse...

I wish. Right now my collection is kind of a revolving door. Essentially the only "new" money I spend on cards each year is Christmas and birthday money, things like that. There is certainly no category in the family budget for my card habit. If I splurge on something later which is not tied to that, I usually have to wind up selling something from my collection to make up the difference. This actually usually works out; I sometimes tire of certain things and it keeps my interest in the cards new and usually somewhat varied.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-12-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I wish. Right now my collection is kind of a revolving door. Essentially the only "new" money I spend on cards each year is Christmas and birthday money, things like that. There is certainly no category in the family budget for my card habit. If I splurge on something later which is not tied to that, I usually have to wind up selling something from my collection to make up the difference. This actually usually works out, I sometimes tire of certain things and it keeps my interest in the cards new and usually somewhat varied.
I get too attached to my cards to do this, even though it's a smart way to operate. If I sold any of my vintage cards, as soon as I did, I know I'd want them back...
Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Matt

I picked up a property management client on the side that pays north of $3k/month. I might have 15 hours a month invested in actually being at the property.

I fund my Roth IRA first, put $10k in my regular investment account and the rest is spent on my choosing (aka cardboard).

Successful transactions with: Wildfireschulte, bengineno9, Davids resale shop, dougcats, wcsportscards, Bryan Long, Moonlight Graham, sycks22, Set Builder, itjclarke, mybuddyinc x 2, Double-P-Enterprises, Michael McGuffin, sebie43, T2069bk, JollyRoger, LukeLyon x 2, drjdog5150, Beatles Guy, GehrigFan, piecesofthegame, AddieJoss, Marty, HOF Yankees, FrankWakefield, Tim Fritz, vcuono, T206blogcom, btcarfagno x 3, Bleedinblue, Tolstoi, brewing
Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I get too attached to my cards to do this, even though it's a smart way to operate. If I sold any of my vintage cards, as soon as I did, I know I'd want them back...
This x10
Old 02-12-2019, 09:01 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I often get this feeling too, but 95% of the time it's what I call "pre-" seller's regret. In that I think about and agonize over which cards I really want to sell before I actually do it, but then a large majority of the time after they are gone, I don't think twice about it and am able to move on. I have a few passive regrets on cards that got away years ago - I remember getting rid of them and occasionally wish I hadn't - but it's nothing that keeps me up at night.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Keep in mind paypal transactions are now reported to the IRS, in case that's a factor for you.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Keep in mind paypal transactions are now reported to the IRS, in case that's a factor for you.
Yeah but only if over $20K or more than 200 payments in a year, I think.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:48 PM

I always keep an eye open for a deal. I buy cards all the time that I have no interest in but am able to pick up on the cheap for resale only.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

It is definitely possible to do. The big question is how much time and effort do you want to put into it and how long are you willing to hold an item to get the price you want. I believe knowledge and patience are the keys. I'm a firm believer you could make money selling 88 Donruss, if you buy them at the right price.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 02-12-2019, 02:06 PM
John Donovan

Great question John. I've bought cards strictly for resale a couple times, but I keep coming back around to just trying to enjoy my cards without over thinking the profit side of it. Trying to buy and sell cards for profit suddenly starts to feel like too much work

That's another cool aspect about this hobby...you absolutely CAN use it to generate a little extra cash, and it appears that there are some people on this board that are making a living out of it. And that's awesome!

But I've realized I personally have more fun acquiring cards I like in slightly lesser condition to look at them in my albums, research the players, etc. I do try and be sure not to overspend on the cards I buy, because I'd love to be able to at least sell my cards for near the same price I bought them if I ever quit enjoying them.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That explains 5he guys in black suits in the blacked out Suburban parked across the street from my house
Old 02-12-2019, 03:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Does anyone actively look to "buy low, sell high" with stuff online or elsewhere in order to make cash on the side to fund your hobby?
This is exactly what COMC is for...
For example, I just bought 15 nice 1962 Topps Mars Attacks cards at $10 each and expect them to resell between $25-30 each. Then I'll buy a Mantle I need with the profit.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 02-12-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add'l info