NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Default Best high end packs?

I mostly collect very specific player focused vintage cards but every now and then I have the urge to open packs like I did in my youth. Since I don't keep up as closely with the current issues I'm always a little behind trying to figure out what I should buy. What's the most interesting high end packs in 2014? What else from recent years would you suggest?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Personally I like both Gypsy Queen and Allen and Ginter. Both are similar, with a mix of current players and past stars. Allen and Ginter has a number of cards of other sports or non-sports. Usually subjects I think are pretty cool anyway.

There's the obligatory mini inserts in various forms, and some paralells of the regular cards as well as short prints. And an even wider array of assorted inserts. Hardly any are super glossy reflective refractive, whatever else.

There's also the usual bit of fabric and wood cards and some that have been written on. (Last year I got one with supposedly a bit of Mark Cubans suit)

Each year they also do something odd like including an old stamp or penny on a handful of cards. I've never gotten one.

Or, if you like your modern to be modern - I'm partial to Bowman Platinum. Small shiny set with another even shinier set along side it but different players. Plenty of inserts of all sorts.

One interesting tip, the late production retail packs seem to have a much better insert ratio. Especially the jumbo ones that have three packs and a pack of exclusive inserts. I think the blaster boxes are done in one run, and the jumbos are done continuously, They're harder for the pack searchers to feel so they don't get picked over. And I also guess that the published ratios are based on estimated sales with the late packs getting loaded with leftover inserts if sales fall short. So no big deal inserts, but a better chance at the mid range ones like die cuts and that sort of thing.

Steve B
Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Thanks Steve. When it comes to modern cards, I can appreciate the retro styles and the newer styles. Some of the refracting gets a touch overboard IMO, but I certainly don't mind shiny in a variety of layouts.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 PM

Can't go wrong with Heritage, love this year's 1965 look.