NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default 1983 AJAX Dog Food

I found this card by chance and picked it up on ebay having never heard of it or seen one before.

The seller calls it a 1983 AJAX Dog Food card and also has a Chili Davis (giants) and Kent Hrbeck (Twins) for sale. I haven't seen any other examples of this set. I also haven't been able to find it cataloged in SCD or Beckett Almanac to view a checklist and determine who the other players in the set are.

Do these go by any other names? The backs are blank and there are no other print markings or designations. Just what you see on the card front. Am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ajax guerrero.jpg (8.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

might be some help here..... includes a checklist as well.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...ck-others.html
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Bob Lemke

Just to reiterate . . . both the "1983" and "1984" Ajax Dog Food card sets were an unauthorized collectors' issue, i.e., bad-looking "Broders."

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Well, that was easy...you both summed it up pretty well. Thanks for the link to the other thread...I've gotten out of the habit of searching over there.

That thread on FCB fails to mention two things though. And Bob, you're probably the guy that can answer this too (forgive me if this is a tired subject that you've had to repeat multiple times in the past), but ...

1) How was it determined that these were AJAX dog food cards since there is no mention of AJAX on the card? Were they distributed in plastic or cellophane packs inside the dog food or were they a test run item for the following year? '83 wasn't that long ago...I'm sure some collectors on this board would remember possibly finding them while feeding their canine companions.
2) What was the determining factor in changing it from an "authorized" collector's issue from earlier SCD publications to an "unauthorized" one? Is there certain criteria used for all cards and/or sets in determining what is authorized? And what person(s) determines this, is there some type of committee or something?

Thanks for your patience with my ignorance...

Last edited by 4reals; 02-19-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

After further inspection it appears as though the word AJAX faintly appears (very faintly - can barely make it out) in the bottom left black border. I looked at the other examples in the FCB forum and they have the same...still wondering if they were actually distributed in product. If so, I wonder if unopened packs of any of these exist?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Yes, they were inserted as singles in a cellophane wrapper inside the dog food. I believe (if my memory is correct) the card/wrapper was attached with some glue on the inside of the bag towards the bottom on the side.

I think I still own a few of these, and I can VIVIDLY remember begging my parents to buy that specific type of dog food just for the card.

I can also remember getting bitched at for opening/dumping the entire bag as soon as we got home

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 02-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Howie Schenker

Maybe you are thinking of the Milk Bone cards. As Bob has stated, the AJAX cards were Broder type collector issues not associated with an actual dog food company.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Bob Lemke

I'm not sure what you mean about "authorized" collectors' issue. I believe they were always cataloged as unauthorized in the SCBC.

I also think Steve is thinking about the Milk Bone cards. "Ajax" cards were never associated with any product.

I believe that when they first came to market they were advertised with the Ajax name in one or more of the hobby periodicals, maybe even SCD.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Actually, now that you guys mention it .... I believe it was purina dog food. Not ajax or milk bone.

Now you got me wanting to sift through the mountain of 30 year old stuff in the closet
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
I believe they were always cataloged as unauthorized
So, they were never associated with product, which means I don't have to look in vain for an unopened Guerrero pack.

But I'm still stuck on this unauthorized thing. Who has the authority to categorize something as authorized or unauthorized? What is the criteria for determining such a thing? Does unauthorized mean they were made without compensation to the players? Or does it mean there is a secret society of ancient card collectors in a smoke filled room who put a large red DECLINED stamp on the AJAX baseball card submission form?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Alan Elefson

Joe-
I believe a Broders type issue, or an unauthorized issue, means that a collector/dealer made the set on their own, with no MLB license. Further, these sets were made to sell to unsuspecting collectors as legitimate product (hence the Ajax label on your card). Personally, I have several of these from Ball Street and a few other "companies" in my Don Mattingly collection. I buy them if I do not have them and if I can find them for less than a dollar. Some collectors will never touch them, especially those who were burned speculating on them in the 80s. Others will never touch them because there are so many legitimate issues out there. Even collector issues such as TCMA are considered legitimate, because there was never an intent to defraud buyers. As awlays, collect what you like but keep in mind there are hundreds of these sets produced in the 80s, and very little of it is catalogued in any standard hobby publication.
Alan
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thank you for your response Alan. I've heard the term Broder-type used for years but incorrectly assumed it was a name brand like "Jay Publishing" or "Score" or whatever. I didn't realize the term Broder had a specific meaning. Damn, I missed the bus on that one! That's why when Bob said it was a bad looking Broder it didn't register as a negative to me (shaking my head at myself). I guess in the end it doesn't really matter if something is authorized or not, all that matters is whether the card has perceived value and what a collector is willing to pay for it. If a set of these sold for over $100 like the FCB thread said then who cares if it's unauthorized, there's buyers out there for them...kinda like those Helmar hand painted replica cards that keep popping up on ebay. Seems to me those would be a great present day example of an unauthorized Broder card, but hey, people are paying money for those too, probably as a cheap secondary option to owning the real thing.

Bob, I just read your excellent description of legitimate issues and collector's issues on pg. 5 of the SCBC under the Major League Issues sub-title. That explained everything perfectly.

Feb. 20, 2013 - the day 4reals finally understood the true meaning of "Broder". I just looked up the definition...it's French and means - to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth.

Last edited by 4reals; 02-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Ballstreet was in a gray area. No MLB license of the cards but they were part of a magazine so it sort of slid by as allowed editorial content just in card form.

Personally I like some of the unlicensed cards. I collect them when I find them cheap.

I think many of them were as good as the products from the licensed companies, at least one issuer -Pacific- eventually did get a license. And there was an actual Broder. There were a few sets he did that were unlicensed, and some that were a bit gray area like a japan baseball set mostly showing american players.

There was a big push by the companies to stop the production, sort of an early look at the whole rights management thing.
What I found silly was the ways they went after them.
Basically forcing Becketts to not list them was one tactic, then getting writers to denounce them as having no quality and no value since the issuer could just print more. Which is something Upper Deck got caught doing and last I looked they're still listed.

There were abuses, sets "limited" to 15,000, but available with red borders until they sold out then another color later. (Another thing that sounds familiar, like 8 different refractors for each set....)

The later ones took advantage of a loophole. Most league and player licensing groups decided that the minimum number of players they'd license was 8 or something like that. And that they wouldn't try to shut down the unlicensed stuff with fewer players.

And that's part of where Star company got into things, and when Pacific made the Ryan and Seaver sets. And the unlicensed stuff became basically groups of single cards rather than sets.
The licensing enforcement was pushed off onto the teams and individual players and their agents who usually didn't have time to chase down some guy selling a few thousand cards of a popular player out of his garage.

The publicity smearing them and lack of listing in most of the guides meant they died out quietly as demand faded.

Steve B
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Derek Granger

Default 1983 Ajax

These are definitely tough to come by. I have one complete set (of 6) and one incomplete set of 4 (missing the Henderson and Ripken, both of which I sold).

Chili Davis, Pedro Guerrero, Kent Hrbek, and Willie McGee don't command much of a premium. The Ripken will often fetch around $75-$100 and the Henderson is a $30-$50 card.

As others mentioned, this was not distributed by the maker of Ajax (cleaning product) or a dog-food company...it was fictitious. The Guerrero you have is from 1983 (according to the 2003 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards). There were also some white-bordered 1984 "Ajax" cards of a few players. I don't have any of those as there is no R. Henderson in that set.

All the best. If you want to see scans of the other cards (or are interested in purchasing any - other than Henderson), let me know.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
And there was an actual Broder. There were a few sets he did that were unlicensed, and some that were a bit gray area like a japan baseball set mostly showing american players.
Keep in mind that there were two "Broders". Ed Broder prodiced the TCMA-style sets of Japanese players or Americans in Japan in the 1970s. In the 1980s, Rob Broder started selling his unlicensed cards as advertisements for his glossy 8x10 photos. Very quickly he, and others, realized collectors would eagerly scoop up any new cards of popular players and just started cranking out set after set of the simple, unauthorized sets to be sold at card shows. He was eventually sued by MLB and settled for a fine.

About that time, MLB changed it's licensing rules to prevent "publications" like Ballstreet or Legends from basically printing baseball cards in a magazine wrapper. The cards were supposed to be simply a feature of the magazine to enhance articles, and as such, were subject to the rules of your average newspaper or magazine (as started by Baseball Cards Magazine in the 80s), but eventually people saw that as a way to print their own baseball cards without a license, and wrap it in a tissue thin veil of a magazine.

Last edited by DaClyde; 02-22-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Keep in mind that there were two "Broders". Ed Broder prodiced the TCMA-style sets of Japanese players or Americans in Japan in the 1970s. In the 1980s, Rob Broder started selling his unlicensed cards as advertisements for his glossy 8x10 photos. Very quickly he, and others, realized collectors would eagerly scoop up any new cards of popular players and just started cranking out set after set of the simple, unauthorized sets to be sold at card shows. He was eventually sued by MLB and settled for a fine.

About that time, MLB changed it's licensing rules to prevent "publications" like Ballstreet or Legends from basically printing baseball cards in a magazine wrapper. The cards were supposed to be simply a feature of the magazine to enhance articles, and as such, were subject to the rules of your average newspaper or magazine (as started by Baseball Cards Magazine in the 80s), but eventually people saw that as a way to print their own baseball cards without a license, and wrap it in a tissue thin veil of a magazine.
Interesting, I sort of knew there were two, but didn't know what stuff went with which or even if it really was two different people and not just the same guy using a different name to confuse things.

I've never seen the cards that were ads for the photos. Did they have ad backs or were they more like regular cards than promos?

I should make a start at cataloging these things, but it's not easy. There's probably some ads in the hobby magazines for a little while, but they eventually stopped allowing them.

While they're unlicensed, I find that they're all a good deal harder to find than the licensed stuff.

Steve B
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Jason Presley

Actually I guess it was the 1986 Scott Cunningham cards I was thinking of that actually advertised the photographer's photos:

Look up Tim Peichel (tpeichel34 on eBay), he's spent the past 2-3 years attempting to catalog all the unlicensed issues he could find. He's assembled quite a database (and collection) of them.

Last edited by DaClyde; 02-22-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Michael..Adams

The ugliness of the cards would make keeping them....challenging.