NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2024, 09:38 AM

Default 1936 Sport Stamp Conundrum - Ebay Guarantee

Interesting event just happened last week when I sold a graded Sport Stamp. It was graded by SGC a 1.5. Here's the timeline:

- Sold on Saturday Jan 20.

- Shipped on Tuesday Jan 23 (21st was Sunday and 22d postal was closed)

- Received at authenticator on Jan 24.

- Shipped to buyer from authenticator on Friday Jan 26.

- Item delivered yesterday, Jan 30.

The timeline isn't bad at all. However, on Friday Jan 26 I received the following email notification from Ebay. Here is an extract:

"We wanted to let you know that your item is on the way to your buyer, but unfortunately we can’t provide our Authenticity Guarantee. The item was miscategorized in your listing and is therefore ineligible.

This may be disappointing for your buyer, so if you have similar listings, we recommend you update the item details to ensure this doesn’t happen again. In the meantime, we’ll notify them to let them know their order is on the way."

I listed the Sport Stamp under the sports cards category, as this is how I view the Sport Stamp. I believe this is the proper category and would receive more views than it would if it were listed in a different category.

Here are the issues I have.

1. I believe it to be a sports card.

2. There was no reason to send it to an authenticator if it had been authenticated by a reputable company.

3. It caused an unneeded delay and expense for no sound, apparent reason.

4. With whom does the liability lie if it is lost, or damaged, between the authenticator and the customer. I insured the card on my end.

5. How will the customer view the transaction.

Hopefully all ends well, since it has now been delivered. Under what category is the proper one for a 1936 Sports Stamp?

I would be interested in anyone's input, since I know several members own Sport Stamps. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:50 AM
Dave

It's in a slab, and that's supposedly what they authenticate, so not sure why it matters what they classify it as.

I got a similar message when I sold a Boxing Cabinet card I listed in the trading cards category. They just sent it on to the buyer, the buyer didn't care a single bit about the authentication anyways, so it all ended up fine in the end.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:50 AM
pete ullman

im sorry but to me...these are newspaper clippings...not "cards" in any way, shape or form...and should not be considered as such.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:53 AM
pete ullman

Nor is it even a stamp, imho...as these have no adhesive properties. I do think they are kinda cool...and can be scarce or even rare...but not a stamp...def not a card. I'm sure the recipient will be fine as the card is entombed.

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-31-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
im sorry but to me...these are newspaper clippings...not "cards" in any way, shape or form...and should not be considered as such.
I respect that Pete, not everyone does. I happen to be on the fence, as there are a lot of items out there one might not consider a card. Heck, even the ones we cut off cereal boxes in the 60s I can see as someone not considering them cards. How about the ones that came in potato chips, ice cream, or cut out of magazine such as Sports Illustrated, etc. It could go on and on and on.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:20 AM
Dave

IMO SGC slabbed it as a "card". even if it says "stamp" on the label. SGC is not a "stamp" grading company. They are a "card" grading company. So it's a card in the spirit of what the authentication program is about, regardless of what anybody's else's opinion is on the matter.

This is a low stakes debate however. As long as it eventually gets to the buyer in safe order, then all is well with the world.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If T332s and T330-2s can be considered cards these can too. But at minimum, the Sports Stamps were stamps in a newspaper to be collected. Just my view, yours may differ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t330walsh2.jpg (95.6 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg bees.jpg (109.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg sport3.jpg (157.3 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:48 AM

Great opinions so far. I don't know if Ebay is now charging for their Guarantee Program, but if I was a customer that paid for the Guarantee Program and the item was sent to them saying the item was misclassified (which I believe it wasn't), I would be a little upset.

That's why this is a little bit concerning to me, as I feel I didn't misclassify the item simply because I listed it under the sports card category.

By the way, this was an expensive card that far exceeded the minimum requirement.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:54 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Great opinions so far. I don't know if Ebay is now charging for their Guarantee Program, but if I was a customer that paid for the Guarantee Program and the item was sent to them saying the item was misclassified (which I believe it wasn't), I would be a little upset.

That's why this is a little bit concerning to me, as I feel I didn't misclassify the item simply because I listed it under the sports card category.

By the way, this was an expensive card that far exceeded the minimum requirement.
The customer isn't paying for anything. You are paying for it.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-31-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:07 AM
qualitycards

Topps has issued stamps several times, they are not mean for postage, but they are stamps
Same as the 1936 Sports stamps & Leon's examples

Old 01-31-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The customer isn't paying for anything. You are paying for it.
I was not charged a Authenticity Guarantee fee for the listing.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I was not charged a Authenticity Guarantee fee for the listing.
It is part of the fees you get charged for selling items on eBay. It is not a separate fee.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:27 AM
Dave

I think it's only slightly hilarious that PSA is in charge of authenticating SGC's holders.

Is this an issue that PSA doesn't grade (yet)...so they're sticking it to the SGC holder out of spite?
Old 01-31-2024, 11:55 AM
Al Stein

I don't know how much difference it makes which section you post your "stamps" on ebay. If someone searches for sports stamps, all the items with sports stamps in the title should come up.

If you want to keep putting your stamps in the baseball card category anyway , you should probably give your buyers a heads-up that, despite the info on your listing, ebay doesn't consider sports stamps to be cards and will not authenticate them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2024, 12:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Nor is it even a stamp, imho...as these have no adhesive properties. I do think they are kinda cool...and can be scarce or even rare...but not a stamp...def not a card. I'm sure the recipient will be fine as the card is entombed.
One group of stamps I specialize in was issued without gum. So they also never had adhesive properties. (and are far from the only ones just in US stamps. )

The same stamps were also issued 5 separate times on three different card stocks.... So while they're stamps, they might be closer to cards that depicted stamps that were issued in sets.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:38 PM
pete ullman

i can live with that steve.
Old 01-31-2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I don't know how much difference it makes which section you post your "stamps" on ebay. If someone searches for sports stamps, all the items with sports stamps in the title should come up.

If you want to keep putting your stamps in the baseball card category anyway , you should probably give your buyers a heads-up that, despite the info on your listing, ebay doesn't consider sports stamps to be cards and will not authenticate them.

I have already decided to just change the category and that will solve the GA issue. I agree, it probably won't make much difference, most buyers just search for players i.e. Babe Ruth, and just drill down if they are looking for something specific such as 1962 Topps, etc.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I've voiced a similar opinion in the past and was shot down as well. No problem; this is one that people will always disagree on.

To me, simply (practically worthless) period newspaper clippings. To someone else, a treasure, I guess.

I just noticed the header: "Reprints of Sport Stamps". Where are the originals? It's an honest question. This is not my area.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-31-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I've voiced a similar opinion in the past and was shot down as well. No problem; this is one that people will always disagree on.

To me, simply (worthless) period newspaper clippings. To someone else, a treasure, I guess.

I just noticed the header: "Reprints of Sport Stamps". Where are the originals? It's an honest question. This is not my area.
Funny thing, I know a lot of people that think the same thing about every baseball card ever issued! Those same people say they wouldn't pay a nickel for every Mickey Mantle card ever issued.

It's all just cardboard and paper - right?
Old 01-31-2024, 05:33 PM
Tim

If the card is slabbed, they're just evaluating that it hasn't been tampered with, if I understand it correctly. Who cares if they want to call it a card or not? That seems irrelevant to what they're asked to authenticate.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not sure I follow what happened here.

They don't grade these?

No, that can't be it.

They didn't pass it? Then it should be sent back to the seller, not sent to the buyer, per the rules of the program:

"If the inspector cannot determine that the product is authentic, or if the product is not as described in the listing, the item will be returned to you and the buyer will receive their money back."

I don't see anything that allows them to send it to the buyer and also refuse to honor the authenticity guarantee.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-31-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not sure I follow what happened here.

They don't grade these?

No, that can't be it.

They didn't pass it? Then it should be sent back to the seller, not sent to the buyer, per the rules of the program:

"If the inspector cannot determine that the product is authentic, or if the product is not as described in the listing, the item will be returned to you and the buyer will receive their money back."

I don't see anything that allows them to send it to the buyer and also refuse to honor the authenticity guarantee.
The authenticity is not the issue. It is real and authentic. They stated that I had not listed in the correct category, I listed it under sports cards. Since they evidently don't consider the Sport Stamp a "card", it was not authenticated and simply forwarded to the buyer. They don't authenticate anything other than "cards".
Old 01-31-2024, 10:05 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
It's in a slab, and that's supposedly what they authenticate, so not sure why it matters what they classify it as.

I got a similar message when I sold a Boxing Cabinet card I listed in the trading cards category. They just sent it on to the buyer, the buyer didn't care a single bit about the authentication anyways, so it all ended up fine in the end.
Dave, along this same line, I asked an eBay rep this afternoon why this N173 Old Judge cabinet card was not included in eBay's Authentication Program. and I was told it's because this card is listed in the Sports Memorabilia category, and not the Sports Trading Card category. I countered that either the eBay computer program or an eBay staffer should have flagged this card as being in the wrong category when it was listed. The rep's response was that eBay can't catch everything, and no, eBay is not going to take action now so that this card will be subject to Authentication. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404761183339
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:42 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Dave, along this same line, I asked an eBay rep this afternoon why this N173 Old Judge cabinet card was not included in eBay's Authentication Program. and I was told it's because this card is listed in the Sports Memorabilia category, and not the Sports Trading Card category. I countered that either the eBay computer program or an eBay staffer should have flagged this card as being in the wrong category when it was listed. The rep's response was that eBay can't catch everything, and no, eBay is not going to take action now so that this card will be subject to Authentication. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404761183339
How do you get ahold of an ebay rep?

Old 02-01-2024, 08:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
The authenticity is not the issue. It is real and authentic. They stated that I had not listed in the correct category, I listed it under sports cards. Since they evidently don't consider the Sport Stamp a "card", it was not authenticated and simply forwarded to the buyer. They don't authenticate anything other than "cards".
So they slab and grade them as cards but don't consider them cards? Yeah, that tracks...

Or not...
Old 02-01-2024, 08:33 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
So they slab and grade them as cards but don't consider them cards? Yeah, that tracks...

Maybe THEY consider them cards, but they don't think SGC should consider them as cards.

Old 02-01-2024, 05:13 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
How do you get ahold of an ebay rep?

Al, eBay seems to do everything it can to keep an eBay user from speaking with a live eBay rep by making one jump through many hoops first. I have reached an Ebay rep via these 3 ways: (1) call 1-866-540-3229, (2) go to www.ebay.com/help, and (3) clicking on "Seller Help" in the upper right area of the Deller Hub Pverview" screen. No matter which method you use, Ebay wants you to use their various canned responses to the subject of your issue. You have to keep geeting past these by indicating they didn't resolve your issue. You will eventually be able to click on "Contact us" or "Chat with our automated assistant." Eventually you will see the opportunity to have an eBay rep call you, which may be 5 minutes later or 25 minutes later, depending on their call volume. Hope this helps. Others may be able to help you better than me.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Al Stein

Thank you, I appreciate the tips. I never knew you could talk to an actual person.

Old 02-03-2024, 07:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the tips. I never knew you could talk to an actual person.

I wouldn’t call it “talking” as much as listening to someone barf canned policy answers at you.

Or not...