NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Dennis Winters

Default Autographs related question

These are two Paul Andrews autographs that I have purchased over the last year. I feel really good about the one with Dimaggio. However, the other one seems really different than what I have seen before. Both are supposedly confirmed by PSA. Is it common to have this kind of variation between autographs? I have no reason to believe that either is a fake. I would think that more time would be spent on faking Cobb or Ruth.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001_NEW.jpg (43.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002_NEW.jpg (23.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 PM

They were not signed by the same person. The signature on the partial team sheet is that of Paul "Ivy" Andrews.
The other is not. It's not a fake, though. It was signed by Paul Andrews.

Just not the right Paul Andrews.

This tells you more about PSA's "expertise" than it does about signature "variations."

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-16-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Updated info

The signed business card came out of a mastro auction lot (see link below). I didn't pay very much for the autograph (<$30 as I recall). But, now it would be nice to know who signed it. On the back of the business card, it has "NY Yankees" written on it (by hand using pencil).

I can easily see how a mistake could occur, but I would think that PSA would have noticed this error.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=83709
Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters View Post
I can easily see how a mistake could occur, but I would think that PSA would have noticed this error.
Why would you think that? Aside from their own horn-blowing, what evidence of their expertise is there?

The absurd errors they have made--and continue to make--are legion.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Dennis Winters

Default On second thought....

I may be too forgiving. 71 autographs shoudn't be that difficult to confirm authenticity.

Perhaps this is a "systematic" Matro/PSA issue. Maybe I should contact the FBI

This is the reason that I will always be shy in putting money into autographed items.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinters View Post
This is the reason that I will always be shy in putting money into autographed items.
This is the reason you become your own expert.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-16-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Dennis Winters

Default Another autograph found

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=16285

I have been searching for another sample of the "variant" Paul Andrews autograph that I purchased on an index card several months ago.

I found the same variation on this 1932 Yankees team signed ball.

This autograph has again been authenticated by several "leading" companies.

So, would it be safe to say that Paul Andrews had two autograph styles or signed his name differently in 1932 (for whatever reason)? Perhaps he had a doppleganger?

Thanks again for any and all input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16285b_1932_yankees.jpg (67.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 10-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Those PSA blanket auction lot letters don't mean much; they apparently just skim through the stuff. The Bill Daniels lawsuit (scandal largely ignored by the hobby press) shed light on this practice a couple years back. They're far better than, oh, STAT or Morales, but that ain't saying much...

As far as Andrews goes, I don't know his signature and can't offer any advice...wish PSA would do the same instead of making like they have total knowledge of all signatures in all fields throughout the history of the universe. David's 'the man' as far as Yankee stuff goes, I'd listen to him over them any ole day.

Apologies for the rant, but I can't resist sometimes...

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 10-28-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: no reason at all, no sirree
Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Sorry...a little off topic but can someone shed some light on the Bill Daniels lawsuit that was mentioned in the previous post? Not sure I ever heard about that.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Why would you think that? Aside from their own horn-blowing, what evidence of their expertise is there?

The absurd errors they have made--and continue to make--are legion.

And the people said, AMEN!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thanks for the info. I've found more good and usefull information from this site in the past week than I have in the last 5 years in any hobby publication.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Jason

Default in person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
This is the reason you become your own expert.
I try to get all my autographs in person.
But that becomes extremely difficult with respect to obtaining signatures from dead guys
Old 10-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well...with the dead guys, it's harder for them to say no to autograph requests
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM

I too will keep tabs on this variant Andrews style from now on. I'll let you know of my findings once a significant amount of information can be gathered. Please keep in mind that the rest of the signatures on the ball are unquestionably valid. The Andrews signature is bookended by genuine examples of other signatures. Normally, clubhouse signature(s) are found on the sweet spot, as well as the tops and (especially) bottoms of side panels. This leads me to believe that Andrews could very well have employed two separate styles during the same period. Odd, to be certain, but not unique. I cite players like Randy Johnson, Albert Pujols and Mark McGwire as modern-day examples. Due to contractual obligation, Robinson Cano can apparently only sign using his full first name for a well-known collectibles company. Bob Dylan is known to sign using either hand. I sign my checks differently than I do other items; so did Frank Zappa.

Also, the auction house has erroneously listed Eddie Phillips as signing the bottom of the east panel. In fact, it's the signature of team mascot (and little person) Eddie Bennett, a tough autograph due to his early death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedegu View Post
They're far better than, oh, STAT or Morales, but that ain't saying much...
You must keep in mind that the descriptions found on all auction LOAs are the words of the auction house and not those of the authenticator(s) who examined the items. I have never been especially fond of the auction LOA format, either.

I wouldn't be too critical of PSA's autograph department. Yes, they have made mistakes. I have made mistakes. Everyone in this industry has erred more than once. I certainly haven't encountered anyone on this message board whose knowledge eclipses theirs, so please choose your battles with caution. Some of you certainly have areas of expertise/enjoyment, and that is to be commended. I wouldn't burn you in effigy if you slipped up. Until a computer is built to authenticate holographic material, nobody will be batting 1.000 in this game. While some are quick to point out each foible on the part of an authenticator, very few care to mention the hundreds of thousands of correct calls made by respected authenticators. Perhaps instead of fixating on the negatives, why not spend your idle hours studying about signing habits, signature evolution, and historical facts and figures? Anyone can regurgitate information they read on the internet. A person's opinion only deserves respect if they possess a consistently proven track record of reliability and erudition. Learn as much as there is to be learned, then feel free to drop the gauntlet.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 10-29-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Jason

Default That's true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Well...with the dead guys, it's harder for them to say no to autograph requests
And they usually just appreciate the attention!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Perhaps instead of fixating on the negatives, why not spend your idle hours studying about signing habits, signature evolution, and historical facts and figures? .
I agree 100 percent. One of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby, at least for me, is learning everything I can about a persons signing habits, signature and what can and cannot have been signed. God knows it wasn't as easy as it is now with the vast amount of info that's available via the internet, through email and boards like this. For me, the bottom line is this - it doesn't matter if an authenticator says it's good...even if it's the most respected person in the hobby, If I don't think it's good, then I need to find the proper info to prove to myself that it's good or just walk away and not purchase.
On the flip side, just because one of the questionable authenticators says it's good, doesn't mean it's not. If I feel it's good after analyzing it, than I'm comfortable purchasing it. If I end up being wrong, then it's my bad for not knowing enough.