NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Connie Mack's big mistake. Trading away Joe Jackson. Let's see some cards.

Connie Mack was one of BB's great Managers. But, his rigid recruiting practices caused him to miss out on one of the most promising rookies, Joe Jackson.
Connie mostly recruited players directly from College teams. He considered College players to be smarter (and more willing to learn) than ballplayers from
the Farm system.
Anyhow, in 1908 Connie was impressed with a 20-year old rookie, Joe Jackson. Who batted .346 for Greenville (A's farm team). Joe joined the A's on July
30, 1908. Joe's performance was disappointing. He got 3 Hits for 23 AB's. Joe was very unhappy in Philly. He was the subject of some tough hazing by the
A's players. Hazing of rookies in the Major Leagues was typical back then. Especially, rookies that grew up in the "Deep South" (Al, Ga, Ms SC). Of course
Ty Cobb is a prime example of this. However, Cobb was a tough dude and knew how to deal with it. So, Joe took a train down to Greenville to be with his
newly wed wife. Connie sent a scout down to Greenville to bring him back to Philly. April 5, 1909, Connie sent Joe to the Savannah team. Joe batted .358

Connie Mack had a keen sense for talent; therefore, I do not understand why he didn't make a serious effort to convince Joe to stick it out with the A's.
Instead, he traded Joe to Cleveland for Bris Lord on July 30, 1910. Joe found a very friendly group of players in Cleveland. And, the rest is history.

I'm curious what your opinions are regarding this situation ?

And, lets see some Joe Jackson and Connie Mack cards.

Connie Mack believed that ballplayers in College received better training **......than the ones in the Minor League Farm system.
Connie had a keen sense of talent, and he (and his brother) would scout out young recruits from College campuses.
Here is a list of the A's in the T206 set which were recruited directly from College teams......

Jack Barry (Holy Cross)
Chief Bender (Dickinson)
Eddie Collins (Columbia)
Harry Davis (Girard College)
Harry Krause (St Mary's College)
Simon Nicholls (Maryland)
Eddie Plank (Gettysburg College)
Doc Powers (Holy Cross)

and, missing from the T206 set
Andy Coakley (Holy Cross)
Jack Coombs (Colby College)......(1910 W-L = 31-9, ERA = 1.30)

** Note....Connie Mack (the Early Years of Baseball), by Norman Macht
While reading this book, you'll imagine the guys in your T206 set come alive. Almost every player from that era is covered in this book.

TED Z
T206 Reference
Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

From your chronology Mack gave it two years. He probably decided at that point it wasn't going to work.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Nice M101-4 with a scarce back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D9AD0C8-5998-4B73-8C49-84204D328488.jpg (9.8 KB, 441 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:00 AM
Don Hontz

Default CJ Jackson

Philadelphia would have won a few more championships if they kept him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103%20Jackson%205.jpg (78.4 KB, 422 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 AM
Brendan Mullen

Did Eddie Plank reallllllly go to Gettysburg College? I thought that that was always assumed but he really didn't?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Connie Mack's big mistake. Trading away Joe Jackson. Let's see some cards.

Hi Brendan

Eddie Plank (at age 22) enrolled in Gettysburg Academy, a prep school under the auspices of Gettysburg College. Plank never attended the College, but
played on the team. Frank Foreman was the coach of the Gettysburg College team. When Foreman saw Plank's unorthodox delivery, he promised Plank
"Follow my instructions closely, I will make you one of the greatest southpaws in the country." Foreman had turned Plank into that rarest of pitchers, a
cross-firing southpaw with outstanding control of his curve and fastball. Connie Mack recruited Plank directly from Gettysburg College.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Matt

Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Joe may have had difficulty with the readin and riting stuff, but he sure knew how to pose for a baseball game card.

Brian (card not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71097.jpg (23.9 KB, 320 views)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM
S Gross

I don't have any cards to show, as Mack, Jackson, and Bris Lord are not T206s ....

But I have to agree with Ted's analysis that Mack thought Philly was to big and sophisticated for Jackson (and that may have been correct, even in the long run).

Now, I don't want to get into a "Philly Fight" with Ted, but I do want to mention two things .....

1 -- Harry Davis did go to Girard College. However, GC is actually a grade (1-12) preparatory school. It was founded in the 1820s as the second public school in America. It was founded for poor, orphaned males that showed promise in life. Davis' father died when he was 5, and his mother got him into GC, were he was an exceptional student and athlete. GC is still very active, and if you're ever in Phil. it's worth a visit, as it is a beautiful campus with great history.

2 -- As a Dickinson College alumni (1982), I wish I could say Bender went to DC. However he attended Carlisle Indian School, located in Carlisle PA, as is DC. Now Bender did take a few DC classes open to CIS students at the time, and he did pitch for DC on occasion. However, that was frowned upon, and he usually got suspended a game or two by CIS for doing so.

Also to add to list: Eddie Collins -- Columbia. Fun fact -- Collins clandestinely played for A's in 1906 as Eddie Sullivan, as he was still at Columbia , and that wouldn't have gone over to well in the Ivy's.

Always fun, Scott
Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Ted Zanidakis

1912 Philadelphia Caramel (E96)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Brendan Mullen

Hi Brendan

Eddie Plank (at age 22) enrolled in Gettysburg Academy, a prep school under the auspices of Gettysburg College. Plank never attended the College, but
played on the team. Frank Foreman was the coach of the Gettysburg College team. When Foreman saw Plank's unorthodox delivery, he promised Plank
"Follow my instructions closely, I will make you one of the greatest southpaws in the country." Foreman had turned Plank into that rarest of pitchers, a
cross-firing southpaw with outstanding control of his curve and fastball. Connie Mack recruited Plank directly from Gettysburg College.

Great info, thanks!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Cool thread Ted. I dont have any Connie Mack cards, but here are my two Joe Jacksons -- and that M101-4 Ware's is just awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916 M101-4 Gimbels Joe Jackson - Front.jpg (10.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg M101-4 Famous & Barr Joe Jackson (front).jpg (10.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-27-2018, 01:03 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

No Jacksons, but I did pick up a new Mack not too long ago.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Derek Granger

Default Mr. Mack

Nice Pinkerton DJ! Me like-y.

Here's my 1915 Postaco Stamp of Mr. Mack:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 04-27-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Paul

Default E98 BSF Mack

Just a wee bit off-center...

e98_Mack_PSA_8OC

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 04-27-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
I don't have any cards to show, as Mack, Jackson, and Bris Lord are not T206s ....

But I have to agree with Ted's analysis that Mack thought Philly was to big and sophisticated for Jackson (and that may have been correct, even in the long run).

Now, I don't want to get into a "Philly Fight" with Ted, but I do want to mention two things .....

1 -- Harry Davis did go to Girard College. However, GC is actually a grade (1-12) preparatory school. It was founded in the 1820s as the second public school in America. It was founded for poor, orphaned males that showed promise in life. Davis' father died when he was 5, and his mother got him into GC, were he was an exceptional student and athlete. GC is still very active, and if you're ever in Phil. it's worth a visit, as it is a beautiful campus with great history.

2 -- As a Dickinson College alumni (1982), I wish I could say Bender went to DC. However he attended Carlisle Indian School, located in Carlisle PA, as is DC. Now Bender did take a few DC classes open to CIS students at the time, and he did pitch for DC on occasion. However, that was frowned upon, and he usually got suspended a game or two by CIS for doing so.

Also to add to list: Eddie Collins -- Columbia. Fun fact -- Collins clandestinely played for A's in 1906 as Eddie Sullivan, as he was still at Columbia , and that wouldn't have gone over to well in the Ivy's.

Always fun, Scott

Hi Scott

Very interesting stuff....thanks for chiming in here.

I often visit the nearby Philadelphia A's Historical Society. Twelve years ago, the guest speaker at their annual brunch was Connie Mack III.
He kept us mesmerized for 2 hours talking about his famous Grandfather. Afterwards, I had a chance to talk with him. A really friendly guy,
we talked for about 1/2 hour. We covered a lot of A's baseball (1901 - 1953). He signed my 1950 A's Golden Jubilee Program.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Alex

I always enjoy a good history discussion. It'd be interesting to see how Mack and Jackson got along. I wonder if it was personal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Val Kehl

I've owned this slabbed card for a long, long time. I think someone told me long ago that this TPG, SBC, was a predecessor to SGC. Does anyone know if there was any connection between SBC and SGC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N172 Mack - Throwing.jpg (75.2 KB, 114 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Val

Great looking Old Judge of Connie.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hey guys,

OK, I wil give this subject one more try. It really "bugs" me that Joe Jackson never got a chance to prove himself to Connie Mack
and his "elitist" A's teammates with Philadelphia. Why a smart Manager like Connie Mack traded away one of the most promising
rookies ever to play the game is mind boggling. To add insult to injury, Joe Jackson was traded for Bris Lord (a .256 career hitter).
Furthermore, Bris Lord played for the A's in 1905-1907. Mack traded him to Cleveland. And, Connie Mack very seldom re-acquired
players that he had traded away. So, this trade (Joe Jax for Bris Lord) absolutely does not make any sense.
Or does it in a strange way ?
One factor in this ridiculous trade that I feel played a role was "northern prejudice" towards ballplayers who grew up in the "Deep
South" (Al, Ga, Ms, SC). Ty Cobb is a prime example of this prejudice. However, Cobb knew how to deal with it......Joe Jax did not.
You can check this out: 390 unique ballplayers are featured in the T206 set. Less than a dozen of them grew up in the Deep South.

Here's my only card of Bris Lord (an E104). Same exact card as is in the T208 Cullivan's Fireside set. Quite obviously, this image is
NOT that of Bristol Lord. But, it is that of Sherry Magee. If anyone on this forum has a real card of Bris Lord, please post it here.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 And another Connie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Val

Great looking Old Judge of Connie.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1911pinkertonmack.jpg (66.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Great pix of Connie....thanks for posting it, Leon.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Kyle May

Someone has already shared Mack's Play Ball, so I won't share mine.

However, it quickly became one of my favorite cards due to it displaying his full name on the back, which I find to be hilarious.

Cornelius McGillicuddy

Interesting unrelated-to-the-thread Joe Jackson connection to my collection. I have a 1916 M101 or whatever Bob Roth. I picked one up after Cleveland's Tyler Naquin hit a walk-off inside-the-park HR in 2016 against the Blue Jays. The only other Indian to do that was Roth. While researching Bob Roth, I found out that the Indians received him in the trade that sent Shoeless Joe to the White Sox. The Indians received Roth and two other players I believe, none of which were shoeless or worth a damn for that matter.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Ted Zanidakis

This is quite an impressive biography of Connie Mack......check-it out.

TED Z

T206 Reference