NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Sean Costello

Just got my catalogue, post office delivered it. And I still have one high bid.

And now I will stop the updates on that one bid until May 7.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Just got my catalogue, post office delivered it. And I still have one high bid.

And now I will stop the updates on that one bid until May 7.
My catalog goes straight into the recycling bin.... I have been outbid on all 40+ lots I bid on (totally expected). I have not placed a max bid, only placeholders, and the next 20 days will be spent on deciding what 1-5 cards I really want to pursue. Because I blew my wad on a t206 plank last month, I won’t be a contender on any real big boy cards, but, IMO, the biggest superstar (and there are many) is the CJ Matty - I have seen and held it and it is awesome.

The May pickups thread should be fun...

Oh, and as an aside, now that REA is out, do we even care that Heritage is ending in 5 days...??!!

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 04-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
My catalog goes straight into the recycling bin.... I have been outbid on all 40+ lots I bid on (totally expected). I have not placed a max bid, only placeholders, and the next 20 will be spent on deciding what 1-5 cards I really want to pursue. Because I blew my wad on a t206 plank last month, I won’t be a contender on any real big boy cards, but, IMO, the biggest superstar (and there are many) is the CJ Matty - I have seen and held it and it is awesome.

The May pickups thread should be fun...

Oh, and as an aside, now that REA is out, do we even care that Heritage is ending in 5 days...??!!
I don't know why REA auctions inspire these lengthy threads and Heritage -- IMO the clear industry leader now -- never does.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't know why REA auctions inspire these lengthy threads and Heritage -- IMO the clear industry leader now -- never does.
IMO, because REA only runs twice a year.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM

I think they are both amazing. Between the two, however, I think REA has the edge on content and Heritage is superior on auction format (interface/auction website, per-lot extended bidding, allowing bids between increments, etc).
Old 04-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
You are probably right, as I end up the high bidder probably 50% of the time when all is said and done. End of the day, no matter how you play it, if you want the card, you need to be high bidder when it’s all said and done
LOL painful truth. If you want the card enough, you'll do what you need to get it. And there's always some jerk out there willing to pay whatever it is to get it. Just hope he's not collecting the same things as you. Cough.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:05 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I don't think one bidding strategy is going to work best in all situations. I think your lake front property cards aren't worth trying to scare people from cause they will always be desirable and there are enough whales who want the best of the best. However, I firmly believe you certainly can discourage people from bidding on ghetto and flood zone cards where people will want to consider all better options before settling.

That said, I've placed over 100 bids in REA so far and only 1 lot have I placed a max bid (which I think is pretty obvious) and I'm still high on that one with plenty of room to increase more
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

PS big improvement on the REA site: you no longer have to click on an extra button to see thumbnails of the lots you bid on. That's actually a nice addition and much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:15 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I don't think one bidding strategy is going to work best in all situations. I think your lake front property cards aren't worth trying to scare people from cause they will always be desirable and there are enough whales who want the best of the best. However, I firmly believe you certainly can discourage people from bidding on ghetto and flood zone cards where people will want to consider all better options before settling.

That said, I've placed over 100 bids in REA so far and only 1 lot have I placed a max bid (which I think is pretty obvious) and I'm still high on that one with plenty of room to increase more
haha...flood zone cards!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:38 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
REA is REA...but Heritage's current auction has a tremendous marquis in the mantle and is a much more interesting auction for me.

The Nadjas, the E98's, lots of caramels, sporting life cobb, plowboys, oj's, m101-6 ruth, nice cj's...nm7 ruth rookie...amazing stuff.

That sf hess Welch is sick!

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-14-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
The Nadjas, the E98's, lots of caramels, sporting life cobb, plowboys, oj's, m101-6 ruth, nice cj's...nm7 ruth rookie...amazing stuff.
Peter, you need to learn when to close your mouth you know I'm just playing around and I 100% agree with you. Actually, I find the current REA auction a bit blah, especially by REA standards.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, you need to learn when to close your mouth you know I'm just playing around and I 100% agree with you. Actually, I find the current REA auction a bit blah, especially by REA standards.
The post war selection in Heritage is incredible too.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Ya...I hadn't got there yet when I posted!!! Those mantles...a psa 9 51 bowman to go with the topps.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:53 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
ya...i thought of you when I saw those...it's like xmas/hanukkah/Kwanzaa for you i bet!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Fred

I wonder how many catalogs were shipped.... wow, they go through great expense to lay it out, print it and ship it. Now for an update:

It was Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the REA Catalog....
Old 04-14-2018, 06:02 PM
pete ullman

Epic blizzard here in st paul...may go til monday! Nothing to do but drool over cards!

Fred that's funny!

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-14-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Heritage has much bigger cards, for sure, but I think there’s a purity about REA that many collectors appreciate.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Heritage has much bigger cards, for sure, but I think there’s a purity about REA that many collectors appreciate.
A “purity???”
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
LOL painful truth. If you want the card enough, you'll do what you need to get it. And there's always some jerk out there willing to pay whatever it is to get it. Just hope he's not collecting the same things as you. Cough.
Sometimes it is good to let something go.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...highlight=w555

Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Agree

REA always has a great vintage spread! I might sit this one out though.

Last edited by tennisguy; 04-14-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
A “purity???”
Pete, you’re on the board enough. I don’t believe I need to explain the comment to you. But the headline is I think a lot of collectors appreciate the way Brian and team do business. They set the standard.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Ne@l K

Brian and crew are the best. No doubt.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Brian and crew are the best. No doubt.
100% agree
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 AM
Eric
Eric

REA has always been the auction we talk the most about. It is the catalog I most look forward to and spend the most time with. It feels more exclusive since they only do 2 auctions a year. I have bought from Heritage and REA regularly and both are certainly top of the list, but it isn’t quite as worthy of a lengthy thread when Heritage puts out several big auctions each year.
Both have great stuff and it is difficult to truly compare them. Both also have terrific customer service in my opinion.
REA catalog is iconic. It’s like Christmas when it arrives. And delivery people everywhere flood their chiropractor offices after delivery.
I enjoy both auction houses but twice a year we get to see REA’s catalog and have a few threads like this. Good stuff.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
REA has always been the auction we talk the most about. It is the catalog I most look forward to and spend the most time with. It feels more exclusive since they only do 2 auctions a year. I have bought from Heritage and REA regularly and both are certainly top of the list, but it isn’t quite as worthy of a lengthy thread when Heritage puts out several big auctions each year.
Both have great stuff and it is difficult to truly compare them. Both also have terrific customer service in my opinion.
REA catalog is iconic. It’s like Christmas when it arrives. And delivery people everywhere flood their chiropractor offices after delivery.
I enjoy both auction houses but twice a year we get to see REA’s catalog and have a few threads like this. Good stuff.
Very well said.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Dave_Berg

They're both fantastic of course. I'd have to compare their current auctions relevance to me by the number of placer bids. I have about 8 in Heritage and 25 in REA. I don't place bids on cards I want badly but could never afford. ( except that Mantle Dice game)

Last edited by Stonepony; 04-15-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The difference for me with REA and other auctions is that they come up with items that Ive been looking for years and have not seen anywhere for sale or auction. There are 2 such cards in the current auction. One of which I’ve never seen once elsewhere. While Heritage has a lot of quality items over the course of a year, I don’t see the obscure items as much.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Shaun Fyffe

A lot of rarities in this auction. Is one of the Serota brothers selling their collection?

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default rea

its only the beginning
october might even be better
Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Two cents

I feel like REA is for collectors and heritage is for investors. I know that’s an oversimplification but just my two cents
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I feel like REA is for collectors and heritage is for investors. I know that’s an oversimplification but just my two cents
Interesting. I can certainly see that point.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Interesting. I can certainly see that point.
I can't at all.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out why a huge rarity is a $6,000 card and why a different huge rarity is a $60,000 card. I know that the Stanky, Konstanty and Roberts cards from the 1951 Topps All-Stars are legendary rarities, but I didn't realize that the Roberts card was a $62,000 card when the last example sold. The current Roberts card at REA is sitting at $48K with the buyer's premium.

I guess it just surprises me that the Roberts card sells for 10 times that of a huge Phillies rarity of the same era like a Lummis Peanut Butter Richie Ashburn card. Of course, it could be the aesthetics of the Topps All-Stars card that makes it a $60,000 item.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=48918

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...e-ashburn-sgc/

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Explain to me how some dog eared 1951 cut out card sells for multiples of a 1920s Ruth Champions Exhibits card that is stunning and seldom seen. But there are so many examples one could come up with. I guess it's the vagaries of collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Sometimes I have a hard time figuring out why a huge rarity is a $6,000 card and why a different huge rarity is a $60,000 card. I know that the Stanky, Konstanty and Roberts cards from the 1951 Topps All-Stars are legendary rarities, but I didn't realize that the Roberts card was a $62,000 card when the last example sold. The current Roberts card at REA is sitting at $50K with the buyer's premium.

I guess it just surprises me that the Roberts card sells for 10 times that of a huge Phillies rarity of the same era like a Lummis Peanut Butter Richie Ashburn card. Of course, it could be the aesthetics of the Topps All-Stars card that makes it a $60,000 item.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=48918

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...e-ashburn-sgc/

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-15-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Is that a cross between vagaries and vulgarities?

Old 04-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Eric
Eric

Or peculiarities?
It makes little to no sense. But I get it as a back collector for T206 McGraw cards. Some of them have very very few copies and if two people have to have them, they go for a ton. Many times, if only one person wanted the card it would go for a fraction of the price. Those prices on the 1951 All Stars make absolutely no sense to me, but I don’t collect them so that’s understandable. That’s one of the great things about these auctions. I see a lot of things I haven’t seen before.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Barry Sloate

And what's the deal with the Green Cobbs? I thought I might spring for one since there are a few nice lower grade examples. On the third day a few already have 30-35 bids and are deep into four figures, and these are a 2 and a 2.5. Is this market real, or is someone manipulating it? I mean folks, this just isn't a rare card. What are there, like two or three thousand of them out there? I call foul.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Barry-buy what is overlooked, not what is hot. Is there a more overhyped T206 than the green Cobb?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Eddie, I internalize this with the "Honus Wagner" theory. The T206 Honus Wagner is neither the most scarce in supply nor the most aesthetically pleasing Honus Wagner card. However, it is nearly orders of magnitude more in demand than other Wagners, thus the six figure price tags for deplorable examples.

It's all about Supply and Demand. I can name a handful of collectors whose entire collecting focus is Topps cards from 1951 through the modern era (wherever you'd like to define that cutoff). The Stanky, Roberts and Konstanty cards have been known, reported on and discussed throughout the hobby for many decades, thus increasing their sex appeal.

You're absolutely right about the Lummis Peanut Butter Ashburn card. However, it's a curious use case: 1) Some collectors eschew the set because they look identical to the Sealtest, but for the card backs 2) They're so rare to find, set "completion" is a fairy tale for all but a handful of collectors and 3) there are many other Ashburn cards that are much more plentiful, but cost must more $$$ because of the many collectors who want the card.

If the Ashburn Lummis ever becomes a hot commodity worth $60k, I'll be the first to sell I've only ever seen a single example - and was happy to purchase it a number of years ago
Old 04-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Barry-buy what is overlooked, not what is hot. Is there a more overhyped T206 than the green Cobb?
The Magee/Magie error. Who cares?

Old 04-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
True. True. But it is so easy to go after what is hot because you feel like if it is that hot you have to have one. I have been guilty of this several times. Never seem to notice until after I have purchased for too much.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 PM
Barry Sloate

I agree Jay. I think it is also a case of panic buying, that if I don't buy one today it will just cost more tomorrow. As such, I will live without a Green Cobb. I can't tell you how many dozens of them I had in my early years in the hobby, so the appeal just isn't there at this price point.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:51 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default rea

am i missing something here
ive seen 8 or 10 lummis ashburns which appear every year
there are only 2 or 3 of each current all stars which appear once a decade or more
rarity for the currents is greater and the demand is greater
therefore the price is greater
Old 04-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Rick Clemens

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
And what's the deal with the Green Cobbs? I thought I might spring for one since there are a few nice lower grade examples. On the third day a few already have 30-35 bids and are deep into four figures, and these are a 2 and a 2.5. Is this market real, or is someone manipulating it? I mean folks, this just isn't a rare card. What are there, like two or three thousand of them out there? I call foul.
To Barry's point here. The Green Cobb and Bat On have nearly the same population on the PSA pop report. Two factors here . One is the popularity of the Green Cobb. Just a typical supply and demand curve. While no more rare than Bat On the popularity (demand) has increased the value. Second and more to Barry's point is several people are buying the Green Cobb's paying what they have to and then holding/hording or reselling at a substantial profit . There were dealers at the 2017 National with as many as 20 Green Cobb's who admit to buying all the Green Cobb's they can find. All Cobb T206's are up big though. I purchased a Red Portrait in a 2.5 with a PB back 2 years ago for 800.00. Now a PSA 2.5 goes for 2k or more
Old 04-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
To Barry's point here. The Green Cobb and Bat On have nearly the same population on the PSA pop report. Two factors here . One is the popularity of the Green Cobb. Just a typical supply and demand curve. While no more rare than Bat On the popularity (demand) has increased the value. Second and more to Barry's point is several people are buying the Green Cobb's paying what they have to and then holding/hording or reselling at a substantial profit . There were dealers at the 2017 National with as many as 20 Green Cobb's who admit to buying all the Green Cobb's they can find. All Cobb T206's are up big though. I purchased a Red Portrait in a 2.5 with a PB back 2 years ago for 800.00. Now a PSA 2.5 goes for 2k or more
I guess like the 52 Mantles, there is a nice supply of them and good demand so is it's a great card to build a market around. Hard to get excited about a one of seven card that no one ever sees if your goal is a quick buck.

And what's with the photo of Ruth and his Dad behind the bar? Was there a law passed somewhere that every major auction now has to have one of these. The first 4 or 5 times I saw one was kind of interesting but now just seems like a hot potato people buy and quickly pass to someone else.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-15-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
ive seen 8 or 10 lummis ashburns which appear every year
No you haven't, Larry. There have been less than two Lummis Ashburn's to trade publicly over the last decade. You are probably thinking of the Sealtest Ashburn - which is a sticker, not a card, a slew of which found their way to market over the past few years.

I am agreeing with you that the demand is (much, much) greater for the Currents than the Lummis. You are perhaps current that the Lummis are slightly more plentiful than the Current - but only slightly. I'd argue that fewer than fifteen examples exist of some of the Lummis Phillies
Old 04-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Eddie, I internalize this with the "Honus Wagner" theory. The T206 Honus Wagner is neither the most scarce in supply nor the most aesthetically pleasing Honus Wagner card. However, it is nearly orders of magnitude more in demand than other Wagners, thus the six figure price tags for deplorable examples.

It's all about Supply and Demand. I can name a handful of collectors whose entire collecting focus is Topps cards from 1951 through the modern era (wherever you'd like to define that cutoff). The Stanky, Roberts and Konstanty cards have been known, reported on and discussed throughout the hobby for many decades, thus increasing their sex appeal.

You're absolutely right about the Lummis Peanut Butter Ashburn card. However, it's a curious use case: 1) Some collectors eschew the set because they look identical to the Sealtest, but for the card backs 2) They're so rare to find, set "completion" is a fairy tale for all but a handful of collectors and 3) there are many other Ashburn cards that are much more plentiful, but cost must more $$$ because of the many collectors who want the card.

If the Ashburn Lummis ever becomes a hot commodity worth $60k, I'll be the first to sell I've only ever seen a single example - and was happy to purchase it a number of years ago
Thanks for the thoughtful post, Marc. If the Lummis Ashburn card would ever climb to $62,000, I would hope that a Puddinhead Jones card from the set would at least hit low five figures the way Stanky and Konstanty Topps All-Star cards have. I bought my Jones card on eBay from John Rumirez; he wrote me that he has been working on the set for 30 years and only has nine of the 12 Lummis Peanut Butter cards.

I know there is also another member on this board who has a Lummis Ashburn card.

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-15-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:48 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default lummis

delete

Last edited by sflayank; 04-15-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktmd View Post
Thanks Rick. So if many people are hoarding Green Cobbs then that creates an artificial price point. No need for me to get caught up in it. There are plenty of other great cards to buy that are not in such great demand.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Just don't start vacuuming up 19th Century. The last thing we need is a new whale.

Last edited by oldjudge; 04-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.