NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default I looked back at my '54 Topps set and learned something

I readily admit that I'm not sure where I am going with this exactly, so bear with me. Much of what I am going to say will probably prompt a "duh!" from many of you but sometimes I just have to see things for myself. I think this might be a little bit of a spin-off from the thread about abandoning set building over on the pre-war board...maybe that got me to thinking about this. And since this isn't another PSA/SGC thread, that automatically makes it an ok thread! We have had some set building threads here in postwar land (and I have loved every single one of them). For years with sets I have worked on, I have largely rejected the idea of buying partials, lots, etc. in favor of agonizing and choosing each and every single card one at a time. For me at least, this led to spending more and bogging down and not finishing in many cases. I recently bought a partial 242/250 1954 Topps baseball set that has exmt cards and my Aaron is an SGC 3. The set has a lot of ex cards, and overall it is a pretty nice vgex set that I am proud to own. I actually need Lasorda and Hodges to finish. Of the 242 cards, there were about 20 that just didn't make the cut for a variety of condition issues that I just couldn't live with. They will get upgraded. However, there were about 25 others that, at the time, I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to keep to include in my particular set. These cards had some very mild almost imperceptible wrinkle that could only be seen when held in light at a certain angle, less than perfect centering, etc.---stuff that OCD had a little struggle with at the time. As individuals on a site like the Battersbox, I probably wouldn't have purchased. OCD is an ugly thing!

I keep all of the raw cards in my sets in penny sleeves and Cardsaver Is in two row corrugated white cardboard boxes. Tonight I got the set out and looked through it, and it was glorious! Those borderline cards had just melted into the fabric of the set, and in many cases, I couldn't even remember or pick out which ones they were. The little pesky issues didn't matter any more.

My lesson: relax a little! I don't see it as lowering my standards. I see it as liberating, and I will always love this set for that reason. I bought the partial and culled out what I didn't want and compromised on a few borderline commons that I can live with and saved quite a bit of money. I know many of you guys have done this forever and are probably saying "duh," but this was a real eye opener for me.

Long live the set builders!