NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-14-2023, 08:22 AM
John

Default 1955 Keokuk Kernels - Story

The 1955 Keokuk Kernels: A Journey Through One of the Greatest Minor League Seasons

In the vibrant landscape of baseball history, few tales resonate as powerfully as that of the 1955 Keokuk Kernels. Today, we embark on a journey through that magical season, highlighting this extraordinary team's achievements and unforgettable moments.

The Meteoric Rise of the '55 Kernels

The Keokuk Kernels of 1955, managed by the talented Merrill "Pinky" May, became one of the shining stars in the realm of minor league baseball. Their dominance was evident, with a phenomenal 92-34 record in the Three-I League. Notably, this team achieved an unprecedented winning percentage of .730, setting a league record and outpacing the second-placed Waterloo by an astonishing 22 games. This feat is even more impressive considering the record was previously set by Springfield, Ill., in 1912, who played 11 more games than the Kernels.

Key Players and Moments

Keokuk was a powerhouse, no doubt. But behind every great team is a roster of talented individuals. Enrique Izquierdo's versatility was notable, as he took on every position with unparalleled grace. Then there was Gordy Coleman, whose batting prowess made him second in the league with an average of .349.
Yet, the depth of talent was evident in their pitching. Despite having five of the top nine pitchers in terms of earned run average, surprisingly, none were named to the first team. Jim "Mudcat" Grant and Bill Dailey's exceptional performances stood out, yet both were selected to the second team, prompting many, including Keokuk's baseball historian Shane Etter, to question this oversight.
Catcher Russ Nixon's 32-game hitting streak showcased the magic of the season. Nixon, along with several other Kernels, went on to make significant impacts in major league baseball. Names like Grant, Coleman, Dailey, Bobby Locke, and Izquierdo eventually graced the major league rosters, further cementing the Kernels' legacy.

An Honor Long Due

In 2001, as minor league baseball celebrated its 100th anniversary, historians Bill Weiss and Marshall Wright undertook the herculean task of rating the best minor league teams of the century. The 1955 Kernels shone once again, being ranked 30th in the All-Time Top 100 Minor League Teams.

The Origins and Legacy

It's essential to understand where it all began. Keokuk's baseball journey saw its genesis as an independent in the Class B Three-I League in 1952. It's fascinating how the team got its nickname. A contest was held, and amidst 500 entries, the name "Kernels" was chosen, an entry by 17-year-old Bonnie (Law) Pflug. This name carries a unique connection with Keokuk, alluding to the Hubinger Company's corn starch production.

After a couple of average seasons, the Kernels' association with the Cleveland Indians in 1954 marked a significant turn. This association brought in talents like Roger Maris, who broke Babe Ruth's home run record.
The subsequent years saw the Kernels compete fiercely, culminating in the unforgettable 1955 season. While they played two more seasons in the Three-I League, by 1957, the curtains drew on the Kernels' journey in that league.

Conclusion

The tale of the 1955 Keokuk Kernels is a testament to the sheer talent, determination, and resilience that defines baseball. Through their ups and downs, their legacy remains unshaken – one of passion, skill, and an indomitable spirit. In the annals of baseball history, the 1955 Keokuk Kernels will always hold a special place, reminding us of a time when the love for the game reigned supreme.

Attached is a pic of my team signed ball JSA LOA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 349321344_533629792121080_7533720774471586932_n.jpg (202.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-14-2023, 06:34 PM
Chris Counts

That's some great research John. It seems to me that the minor leagues experienced a kind of Golden Age in the 1940s and 1950s, and I never get tired of hearing the stories. I've love to get a Keokuk Kernels cap from that era for my collection. The only one I've come up with so far from the Three-III League is a cap from the Cedar Rapids Raiders.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:28 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
That's some great research John. It seems to me that the minor leagues experienced a kind of Golden Age in the 1940s and 1950s, and I never get tired of hearing the stories. I've love to get a Keokuk Kernels cap from that era for my collection. The only one I've come up with so far from the Three-III League is a cap from the Cedar Rapids Raiders.
Thank you for sharing that insight! It's fascinating to learn about the Golden Age of the minor leagues. Your collection sounds impressive, especially the Cedar Rapids Raiders cap. I hope you're able to find the Keokuk Kernels cap to add to it soon!