NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default New pick up thread debate and other board issues?

So we have been on the new site a week and there are a few more things on the agenda to talk about, since most of the registrations have taken place (though there are still 5-10 a day coming in). The other admin/mods and myself have been talking about the monthly pick up threads and questioning whether we need to start a new one anymore, more than 1 time a month? So that is the first question. What is everyone's thoughts on that subject?
Then we can also open it up to any other things on ya'lls minds. Questions, concerns, suggestions etc......It's everyone's forum so here is your chance to say something if it's on your mind. It looks like only a few regulars didn't make the transition yet but I have to say, if they don't come over because this new forum is too difficult then I think they are just finding something to be upset about. Overall I am very happy with the way it's gone....Thanks for everyone's patience so far and thanks too for the huge amount of emails I have received that are thanful in nature...I might not have responded to every one as I have had around 2000 emails in the last week but know that your kind words are appreciated very much.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Jon Canfield

Leon - I agree... no need for new pickup threads in the same month. The reason we had multiple pickup threads in the same month on the old baord was because of load times and scrolling. With the new board, since only 10 posts appear on a page - there isn't the load time or scrolling issues.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Paul

Default 1 New Pickup

Absolutely the right way to go. You can always catch up to where you last left off. A lot more cards will get seen this way.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jon etal......number of posts viewable in threads...

Please remember that you can change the number of posts that you see in a thread, via your user control panel (user cp) to any amount up to 40. I have mine set at 40, changed from the default of 10, and it helped me a lot......thanks for the feedback so far....
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Rich Rockwood

Leon, Thanks for that info, I didn't realize you could change the number of posts seen!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Doug C.

I like having them all in one place. It makes it easier to see them all.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Barry Sloate

The new board has been pleasantly easy to use, compared with the issues we were having the first time around. I'm even beginning to like it.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Everything works well for me. One pick-up a month thread is fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Please remember that you can change the number of posts that you see in a thread, via your user control panel (user cp) to any amount up to 40. I have mine set at 40, changed from the default of 10, and it helped me a lot......thanks for the feedback so far....
Thanks for pointing that out, Leon. I actually forgot that. However, I think this also helps make my point. If certain members do not like to scroll through 40 posts of pick-ups per page, they can simply change the default back down to 10. I think having monthly pick-ups all listed in the same thread is the best way to go. Less clutter that way, too!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Steve Murray

I agree. One pickup thread a month.

Definitely set your posts per page default to 40. Makes life a lot easier.

My only complaint, well maybe two: I sure miss the page down feature and second not enough smilies.

EDIT: I do however see a tab for "View First Unread". That, in effect, has a page down function.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 05-08-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Scrolling

There isn't a need to scroll through all of the old threads. You can set this up so the newest threads are on top.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Paul

Default I gotta question

...if someone goes back and edits an old post, will it show up as a new "blue arrow down"? I assume not.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206Collector

I don't think an edit makes a post into a "new" blue highlighted post. (not sure if that was your question) It will always show an edit by anyone and a deleted post will always show a "deleted post" wording...and who deleted it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 PM
JeR@Me

Default I agree as well...

1 Pickup Thread per month seems like the best idea.

I like seeing all the cards together whether it be the first half of the month or the second half... Will be easier to go back as well to only look at 12 Threads for the year to see the pickups for that month. Good idea, better way to track the progress of our collecting.

You could even start archiving each thread, May Pick Up Thread, June Pick up Thread, etc...

I think it would be cool to go back over the years and review what folks were picking up, etc...

2 cents -
Old 05-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Joann

I think the new board is great, and one pick up thread is fine, but I think we have really lost something in the image area.

I know I know I know - the image hosting with it's one-week self destruct mechanism was a pain in the rear. But the bottom line is that you could post a full size image without using an outside image hosting site like photobucket or whatever.

I am thinking that some response to this comment will be along the lines of trying to push and badger people to get on photobucket or whatever. But let the numbers speak for themselves:

There are 80 posts that include scans in the combined pick-up threads for May, REA, Legendary and Goodwin. Of the 80 posts with scans, 18 of them are thumbnails. That's about 22.5% folks.

I think that a "failure" rate that high for posting full-size images basically says that telling people to use photobucket is an incomplete answer and is being shown not to work.

And there is also a loss in reading the threads - you used to be able to flip down and watch all the pictures go by. Now you miss about 1/4 of them unless you stop to click, and if there is more than one thumbnail you also have to click through each one once it's open.

So ... is there something that can be done to allow posting of full-size images directly without either using photobucket or standing on your head up in the User CP album area? Not to mention any other boards, but one of them has an incredibly easy boop-boop-done way to put a full picture right in a thread in about two seconds, and not from photobucket.

Thx much.

J

And ... in those four pick-up threads with the 80 posts that included pictures? There were a total of ~178 posts that had no picture at all. The commentary outnumbers the actual scans by more than 2-1.

And ... I know the numbers probably don't add up. It was a quick count. Don't email me.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
It was a quick count. Don't email me.
OK, Barry.

(Not even for advise *sic*?)
Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Joann

I can look into that photo uploading issue but not sure if there is a work around. I know it's a hassle too as I have to use my other web hosting account to upload pictures in order for them to be full size here. I will get an answer but not sure it's the one we'll like.....best regards