NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Default 1959 Topps Mantle Salesman Sample Question

2 Questions Guys.... So I am in process of building out a very complete 59 set...and i could not pass this up.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../50004-50540.s

A.) I have seen PSA hand cut salesmen cards. Is submitting these any different. As i want the set to be all PSA

B.) It seemed like a screaming deal to me @360 all in. am i missing something I ended up getting a few lots from them that went for far cheaper than i expected. like by hundreds less. but this seeing as the mantle it self sold for 1200 on ebay recently....seemed like better than usualy.

Did i over pay...or did i just score. I am not intending this to be a question with hey lookie lookie. I jsut tried to win the one at REA a few months back and it went for 4k. @ 360 considering these are all from the same panel just cut seemed pretty darn good....

Thoughts ?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Al Richter

You may get more input if you raise this Q in the post war forum. My go to guy for anything on Topps salesman samples is Griffins. If you do not otherwise get the input you are seeking you can send him a pm here. I collect salesman samples with each of my Topps sets. I try for uncut panels if I can find them but did end up with 3 separated cards like yours for 1953. The Mantle is a nice touch. You can see the other known 1959 panel combos in the link

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....alesman+sample

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-21-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Good buy

That was a super deal on the lot. The Mantle on ebay sold for $1263.49 and it looked more like it was ripped from the panel than being cut. It was listed as a POP 1, so I would cross over to PSA. The last full panel on ebay was Willie Mays, Joe DeMaestri, and Frank Torre. Listed at $5700 and sold for the offer of $2750.
Being an old time dealer from the 1970's & 1980's the current prices make my head spin. Topps panels from the mid to late 1950's could be bought for $20 to $30. T-206 commons were $1 and the beaters were thrown in the trash.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Oh Good Call....Apprently need more coffee this morning. posted it in the wrong area :-P TY Bishop.... Will post it else where

And CT Dan.... I agree i notice that as well. Then i got it and was like...there must be something wrong. I just have never submitted hand cut cards to PSA.... So gonna have to call them up to make it happen.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 AM

Submit it in the SGC holder for a cross over.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Chris

The one on eBay was pretty solid. I picked it up years ago for a couple of hundred dollars, and it was in great shape. Wish I had cracked it and trimmed it. Glad to see the new owner got it into a PSA holder though.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys for the help... I just am striving for a complete 1959 set...for my self i already got the kids a 59 set each to pass on.

But mine will be all psa - 8 or greater.. completed including grey backs variations... Cello and Wax packs...and the salesmen sample and my pride and joy the fun but not authentic triple mantle XMAS pack lol.

I am down to about 30 various psa 8 cards... the 1 cent wax the wax box and i think well I have not settled on a display yet. aka display for the wax the cello the sample..etc..etc
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Al Richter

You should visit the excellent Topps 1959 set thread on CU in the PSA Registry forum. I would post a link but seem to recall that posting links to other boards is frowned upon.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
You should visit the excellent Topps 1959 set thread on CU in the PSA Registry forum. I would post a link but seem to recall that posting links to other boards is frowned upon.
This thread was moved to the correct section here. I don't care if you post a link to CU. Can't recall that ever being an issue.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:54 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think you got a good $$ deal. While it would be best if they hadn't been cut apart, Topps panels, especially with Mantle, are rare.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I think you got a GREAT deal!

I believe the salesman panels (particularly the ones with HOFers and major stars)are highly underappreciated (and undervalued) currently. I won the Mantle from REA. I have been collecting Clemente for close to 30 years and only became aware of the salesmen panels existence in the last 10 or so. If I understand correctly - the REA Mantle is one of 3 known and the nicest condition of the 3 (I've confirmed it is way nicer than one of the others)- incredible to me that because the great and powerful PSA only gives them an "Authentic" grade - many ignore condition.
Great pickup for you and a nice companion for your '59 set - curious as you are such a "completist" - are you working on the 1959 Venezuelans as well? Talk about a lifetime project.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Al Richter

Good point Howard. Does compete mean just a full set, or master set with variations, or master set with 199-286 in white and gray back, or does it include an unopened pack and or wrapper ? A Topps Rookie Banquet program from that year ? Does it include the Elect Your Favorite Rookie and Hot Iron Tranfer paper inserts ? Does it include an actual Hot Iron Transfer

Griffins pointed out to me the prices for Topps Salesman Samples in the recent Heritage Auction and they were lower than I would have expected

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-21-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Griffins pointed out to me the prices for Topps Salesman Samples in the recent Heritage Auction and they were lower than I would have expected
Yeah - all except the Clemente which I lost a lot of sleep and money on!! 1 of 2 I believe - I was looking at a couple of others, but let them go when the fight started for the Clemente! Of course I'm overjoyed to have won it - once again - the condition blows the other one away.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:43 PM

Bishop to answer your question complete master with variations and grey and whites. Wax wrapper cello. litterally everything But the V topps as I am
Almost 100% sure that not exactly attainable in the grade I want it spa 8 or better. Lol. And you actually added something to the list lol. Thanks. 😀👍👍😀
Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I think it's pretty safe to say the bottom has fallen out of the Salesman Sample market. Some of the prices in Heritage the other nite were 10-20% of the prices 4-5 years ago. Even the Clemente panel went quite low, based on past sales.
In regards to single cards, they are nice companion pieces but don't really have a lot of value. PSA should holder them as authentic, suspect they'll probably reject it the first time and then an email to Joe Orlando pointing out how it's a win-win to holder it and he'll get it done.

Al, I've never seen it being an issue to post links to other boards on Net 54, but at times PSA has not allowed links to this board to be posted, especially to threads critical of them.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:35 PM

Griffins....Do you think it is smart to talk to customer service and maybe send Joe an Email... Where do i find his email lol.... I would have thought there would have been more than one mantle graded.... by now.

But this would for sure be the nicest one graded.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM

Actually is it better to twitter him...or just flat email. not sure as he is the CEO of a major company he would respond.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Actually I've found him very responsive. I'll pm you his email, but it's pretty easily available.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 AM
Chris

I don't see the reason to email him as they already holder salesmanssmolrs that have been individually cut. Just mail them in for grading.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:54 AM

I believe I will be calling up customer service....first before i bother Joe... if they dont know i will only than send them a message :-) and validate i can get it done
Old 07-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I think your best course of action is to send it in, request an authentic grade, and wait for the results
If they reject it then appeal to Joe
This process has worked for me on several occasions, with the last step only necessary twice

Last edited by Griffins; 07-22-2018 at 03:19 PM.