NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default PSA 10 Mantle on display

For all of 3 days lol.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...splay-colorado

Not a week. 3 days.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Ne@l K

my dream card .… in a PSA 2-3 lol

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 PM

That one appears to be the one owned by Marshall Fogel.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 AM
David M.

It says it's Fogel's card in the article. Plus, that card is used on the PSA web site to demonstrate what a PSA10 looks like. But they say something strange in the article. They say there are 3 PSA10 's in existence, but this one is the gem mint 10, the A+ and the other two are just A's. I think they are making up new grading standards. I guess that one "goes to eleven".
Old 07-17-2018, 05:58 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It says it's Fogel's card in the article. Plus, that card is used on the PSA web site to demonstrate what a PSA10 looks like. But they say something strange in the article. They say there are 3 PSA10 's in existence, but this one is the gem mint 10, the A+ and the other two are just A's. I think they are making up new grading standards. I guess that one "goes to eleven".
I had never heard of that either. I had heard there were 3 PSA 10's, and one can assume they are not identical in their appearance, but I had never heard of them catalogued/described like that before.
https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...ndards/#detail
Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_spaeth View Post
for all of 3 days lol.

not a week. 3 days.
orgasmic!!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Ridiculous.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 AM
J0hn Collin$

I guess by now we know that the finest examples of the T-206 Wagner and the '52 Mantle #311 reside in private collections - but does anyone know what shape the copies of these cards that the Hall of Fame has are in? I'm just curious, as the focus on the rarity of the card and the player in the 21st century seems to be at least equaled by if not surpassed by the focus on condition. In the early 1990's when people marveled over a Wagner or a '52 Mantle, you heard much more about the history of the card and the provenance of the item. Jefferson Burdick's Wagner - one with perhaps more provenance and backstory than some of the others - is at most like a PSA 4; and that's not counting for the fact that it's still glued into his album. I've seen close-ups of that card and while the color is great and the centering is nice, it's got corner wear and some hairline creases. Would be interesting to see what that baby would go for if it ever hit the market as the "Burdick Wagner." I realize (er, at least I hope...) that will never happen.

Oh the whole, I get it, but today it so seems like all we hear is PSA 10, PSA 10, finest known, blah bluh. It's cooler in this story that the card was driven to it's display location in an armored car than it's cool it's a '52 Mantle. That's kind of messed up.

So I guess Ken Kendrick's PSA 10 Mantle is "only" an A? ...

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-17-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I guess by now we know that the finest examples of the T-206 Wagner and the '52 Mantle #311 reside in private collections - but does anyone know what shape the copies of these cards that the Hall of Fame has are in? I'm just curious, as the focus on the rarity of the card and the player in the 21st century seems to be at least equaled by if not surpassed by the focus on condition. In the early 1990's when people marveled over a Wagner or a '52 Mantle, you heard much more about the history of the card and the provenance of the item. Jefferson Burdick's Wagner - one with perhaps more provenance and backstory than some of the others - is at most like a PSA 4; and that's not counting for the fact that it's still glued into his album. I've seen close-ups of that card and while the color is great and the centering is nice, it's got corner wear and some hairline creases. Would be interesting to see what that baby would go for if it ever hit the market as the "Burdick Wagner." I realize (er, at least I hope...) that will never happen.

Oh the whole, I get it, but today it so seems like all we hear is PSA 10, PSA 10, finest known, blah bluh. It's cooler in this story that the card was driven to it's display location in an armored car than it's cool it's a '52 Mantle. That's kind of messed up.

So I guess Ken Kendrick's PSA 10 Mantle is "only" an A? ...
They are in “collector’s grade” - because he was a collector! - and with the glue would probably not grade higher than 1 if graded.

But people make way too much fuss over grades. The longer I collect vintage cards the less I care what any grader thinks.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 PM

Went to see it yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57A65CD0-BF1A-486C-BBDB-DC0F48CFD380.jpg (13.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
The longer I collect vintage cards the less I care what any grader thinks.
Amen.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For all of 3 days lol.

Not a week. 3 days.
I'd be scared to have it on public display for 3 hours if it were my card. Makes a tempting target for a museum heist.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Marshall's Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Ridiculous.
Thats the author making a point and if you have seen the three as i and others have it is clear Marshall's copy is the finest one currently in a holder and it really isn't debatable. Not sure why some are obsessing about an authors opinion. this is not psa saying its an a+ and the others are a that is his opinion which is based on the opinions of every expert i know of who has seen all three copies. there is reportedly a 4th raw specimens that was sold to a NYC garbage man that Rosen and a couple others who have seen it maintain, it is even nicer than the Murphy/Fogel copy. i have not seen this example but several of my friends who's opinions i greatly trust have seen the card and say it is at least the equal of Marshall's copy if not nicer.

As for the grade not mattering the more you collect i have the exact opposite as i find most topps and bowman cards so relatively easy to locate that they only truly become something special if they are in the finest of grade as finding a copy of almost any topps or bowman card is really no big deal.

Last edited by glynparson; 07-18-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Thats the author making a point and if you have seen the three as i and others have it is clear Marshall's copy is the finest one currently in a holder and it really isn't debatable. Not sure why some are obsessing about an authors opinion. this is not psa saying its an a+ and the others are a that is his opinion which is based on the opinions of every expert i know of who has seen all three copies. there is reportedly a 4th raw specimens that was sold to a NYC garbage man that Rosen and a couple others who have seen it maintain, it is even nicer than the Murphy/Fogel copy. i have not seen this example but several of my friends who's opinions i greatly trust have seen the card and say it is at least the equal of Marshall's copy if not nicer.

As for the grade not mattering the more you collect i have the exact opposite as i find most topps and bowman cards so relatively easy to locate that they only truly become something special if they are in the finest of grade as finding a copy of almost any topps or bowman card is really no big deal.
Alan Rosen kept the 1952 Mantle that he felt was the best one out of his find. I have always wondered where that one ended up or if this is it. It makes sense that Marshall would have the best one (on the market).
Old 07-18-2018, 07:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Alan Rosen kept the 1952 Mantle that he felt was the best one out of his find. I have always wondered where that one ended up or if this is it. It makes sense that Marshall would have the best one (on the market).
I thought Marshall's originated with Mark Murphy and was David Hall's at one point, although I suppose ultimately it could have come from the Rosen find.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I was speaking in terms of it not mattering to the garden-variety vintage collector such as myself who cannot afford to spend multiple millions of dollars on a single baseball card. Folks like Marshall Fogel, Mark Murphy, David Hall, Bruce McNall, Ken Kendrick, et al. don't have this problem.