NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default T206

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Leon,

To be clear, I'm totally comfortable with whatever solution you come up with -- short of requiring me to publicly post my name anywhere on the internet. I have simply never understood why anyone thinks putting their name out there is a good idea in any context. Or why anyone trusts that the names people do post are at all accurate -- or even relevant to any possible conversation.

So what if T205Trader calls me an a$$hole. What good does it do me to know his real name is Joe Smith? How would I know that's his real name anyway.

Best I can tell is people take it personally because they posted their own real names. But to me, that problem lies with the person who went public -- not T205Trader.
T206- You are in the extreme minority concerning your feelings towards the board. Most folks want to mingle and know other collectors. You don't and that is fine. No harm no foul. I have called several new registrants in the last few days as well as previously. If they gave me their incorrect names they were sticking to their story on the phone. There is no doubt a few roaches come in under the door. All I can do is the best I can at keeping it legit. "Boomer" posted this morning, I don't have his contact info (which will be called) so he is now unable to post on the board until I get it. I am as diligent as I can be on trying to get folks to be accountable for what they say. Most folks want to know who is having heated debates with them or calling them out etc....., me included. That is the reason for the rule in the first place. It will continue to be the rule too. I feel that adding the last few sentences to the current rule that was in place will probably do the trick. As far as anyone being frustrated or not liking the way the board is being run, all I can say is, it's America and this is a private board. If anyone doesn't like the rules they don't have to participate. I am not saying any of this to confront you about it, I am only giving my view on it. best regards
Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
T206- You are in the extreme minority concerning your feelings towards the board. Most folks want to mingle and know other collectors.

It should not surprise anyone that posts for anonymity are outweighed by posts for publicity. By the very nature of those two positions, I would expect nothing else. And frankly, if I believed my feelings were in the majority, I'd have very little to say on this topic.

So while I would agree that I am in the extreme minority -- I would add the caveat that I am only in the minority among the regular posters here. But I am speaking not only for this minority -- which, again, by its very nature has an aversion to too much public exposure -- but also for all the lurkers, who love to read our little posts, but abhor the clubhouse mentality and decide not to post as a result.

Nobody seems all that inclined to consider how to make our forum more inviting for collectors who like to remain more private. All those great collections of legendary collectors -- some extremely wealthy, famous and private people. The more you make this place a fishbowl, the fewer of them you will attract to make contributions. That is another price of outlawing anonymity.

I'm getting pretty close to beating a dead horse here, but in my view, there should be one thread available for those who want to swap personal stories, share photos of themselves and their families, talk about their careers, etc. The rest of the threads should be made up of card-related discussions. And if someone is an a$$hole to someone else, they lose the key to the front door.

Oh well.... down from my soap box.......

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
It should not surprise anyone that posts for anonymity are outweighed by posts for publicity. By the very nature of those two positions, I would expect nothing else. And frankly, if I believed my feelings were in the majority, I'd have very little to say on this topic.

So while I would agree that I am in the extreme minority -- I would add the caveat that I am only in the minority among the regular posters here. But I am speaking not only for this minority -- which, again, by its very nature has an aversion to too much public exposure -- but also for all the lurkers, who love to read our little posts, but abhor the clubhouse mentality and decide not to post as a result.

Nobody seems all that inclined to consider how to make our forum more inviting for collectors who like to remain more private. All those great collections of legendary collectors -- some extremely wealthy, famous and private people. The more you make this place a fishbowl, the fewer of them you will attract to make contributions. That is another price of outlawing anonymity.

I'm getting pretty close to beating a dead horse here, but in my view, there should be one thread available for those who want to swap personal stories, share photos of themselves and their families, talk about their careers, etc. The rest of the threads should be made up of card-related discussions. And if someone is an a$$hole to someone else, they lose the key to the front door.

Oh well.... down from my soap box.......
You make some good points, admittedly. I realize you are speaking for the silent minority and that is commendable. However, the one point you are not taking into account enough, is the fact that ANYONE can stay private as long as they don't get into heated debates or name calling. A lot of our members prefer not to be publicly known and they are happy as larks while staying out of threads that will make them be publicly known on the board. Overall, I do agree with your statements. It's not my intention to dissuade collectors from participating but it IS my intention to have people that want to argue stand behind what they are saying. I am beating that same dead horse too .One other quick thought. I also moderated the old board before the change to our new s/w. I can safely say we didn't have a large amount of collectors, who because they could stay completely anonymous (not known to even moderators) post very often, especially with regard to their collections or making helpful posts. Most of those anonymous people caused havoc. There will never be total anonymity allowed on this board. I feel very strongly about that. Your last sentence (not the soap box one) does state the situation very well. Honestly I expect that when this thread dies we will have very few problems going forward. My whole goal here was get out of intervening so much and I think these few new sentences in the rules should help. Again, I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on the subject. I wish it were an easy debate but it isn't. There really is no right answer that satisfies everyone. regards

take care
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The one point you are not taking into account enough, is the fact that ANYONE can stay private as long as they don't get into heated debates or name calling.
Oh, I am totally pleased with that as a solution. I was not trying to challenge that solution with my posts. I was simply venting my frustration that some people feel so strongly about outing others. I know who other people are on here because of the way they consistently handle themselves -- regardless of whether they use a real name or a handle. I don't see why anything else is necessary.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Kenny Cole

T206Collector, I guess I'm confused, which is not necessarily unusual. But, if you are speaking for the "silent minority," what does it matter? They are silent. They aren't involved in any controversial posts and therefore don't have to post their names, ever. They have, as we would say where I live, no dog in the fight. If your position is that silence is golden, WTF does it matter what the ultimate resolution to this issue is?

As I understand your position, it shouldn't matter one iota to you whether or not others post their names, or feel that names should be posted, as long as you don't have to post your name. Fair enough. You understand what the rules about that are, and will be. So long as you abide by them, you have no worries.

However, the opposing viewpoint is not really a "clubhouse mentality" IMO, but is, instead, a legitimate expectation that folks shouldn't be allowed to anonymously say stuff on an internet chatboard that they wouldn't say to your face. Kind of a be able to face your accuser mentality. That's my thought, crazy as it might be. Since this post and your response might be kind of controversial, I can understand if you feel that perhaps you should not respond. Have a nice day. Best,

Kenny Cole (my real name)

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 04-06-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: grammatical correction
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default nameless

I vote for no name.... Its a baseball card blog site !

I dont feel a full name is of any real value, although it would make many think twice before sending off a hate note !

Id be concerned with fear of being labeled a 'baseball card nerd"

I think Leon should continue to rule as he sees fit..after all...its his site
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Rich Klein

Default As I always say

If you just post on the non-controversial threads, you can remain as unknown as that comic was on the Gong Show.

However, if you do post on the threads which are bringing the heat; it is only reasonable to ask that you put your name out there so anyone can know whom is making the comments.

The privacy issue is fine but it's your choice, and I think everyone is clear on that, make comments on subjects such as thoughts on 67 Topps Hi # Short Prints/Double Prints -- and you can be as unknown as you wish

Post on threads such as the recent suit against REA (Rob Lifson) and you better be willing (And I'd bet Rob would make sure of that) to put your name with your post.

No one is saying you can't stay private and no one is saying you have to put your name out there -- but what is being said is that if you put your opinions into controversial threads -- then your identity is being required to be known. Thus, if an issue to you, stay out of the controversial threads -- and I also said if a war breaks out after you make a post in what was intended to be a non-controversial thread and then as long as you were not involved, you don't get damaged in the cross fire.

But, if you saw something construed as controversial, THEN you need to realize you need to take responsibility and be able to called out if needed by name on your views.

I do get the privacy issue, so --- protect your privacy and don't post on certain threads.

Rich
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Rich Klein

Default The other thing I meant to mention

And this is sort of related, but not quite exact.

Back in the early 1990's, when I started at Beckett, the leading way for dealers to communicate with each other was a bulletin board known as sports net. It was a precursor to the hobby boards of today but obviously not as dynamic in terms of immediacy.

One of the more interesting aspects from our end at Beckett was how many dealers at the time would put up posts which could be construed as inflammatory (I may have, but don't think I still do) a sample year's worth of posts about Beckett.

But, the most interesting part about many of those threads was how many people would post whatever they wanted BUT when they actually had to see you face to face, then everything got a bit nicer. That's something else to remember as well, that just because you are not saying something in "3D" to someone's face, that you might not someday see them.

Just a point for anyone who wishes to post in these types of threads

Rich
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Rich,
I will be sure to tell you to your face what I think of you.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Don

I think you should require everyone to refer to themselves in the first person.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
FredYoung

I think you should require everyone to refer to themselves in the first person.

We completely agree.