NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-04-2019, 07:14 AM
Matt Ferroni

Default Something Fishy Going on Here?

Ran across this yesterday and struck me as very strange. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but this raised a bit of a flag for me. Take a look at the two cards below - both have sold within the last month (one bought by me yesterday in full disclosure and I noticed this after the fact).

Anyone else think it is curious that the PSA certification numbers are only one off? Especially for such a high grade card with a qualifier that overall should be a pretty rare submission shouldn't it?

One step further, 43072565 is ALSO a '67 Aaron graded at an 8. This wouldn't seem too abnormal to me if these were '89 Donruss Griffeys or something that someone submitted a whole bunch at a time hoping for one to grade out a 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aaron 3.jpg (78.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron 4.jpg (80.6 KB, 336 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

That actually makes sense. 3 of the same card in a row for the grader to compare and say "ok there is a 10 here somewhere". I've tried it before, never works though

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nothing fishy. Big collectors/investors may have many raw copies of the same card that they submit at the same time.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Probstein = Fishy.
C'mon, someone had to say it...
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Matt Ferroni

Yeah Daniel glad you brought them up. One thing I've noticed, hopefully just my paranoia, is every time I've won an auction with probstein it just so happens to be exactly the max bid I put in. Like if a card is currently sitting at $20 and I'm winning with an hour to go, but my max bid submitted may be $45.50, as time ticks down sure enough I end up winning for exactly $45.50.

Now I know there's a rush at the end of auctions as people are sitting on the sidelines and pounce at the last minute, but almost seems to me these big consignment houses have hacked eBay and know exactly what the highest bid submitted is out there then bid right up to that point with dummy accounts or something.

Is this a thing?
Old 07-04-2019, 08:43 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Do a google search for shill bidding.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Matt Ferroni

Dirtbags. But how do they know exactly when to stop and not push it over everyone's max? Or do they not care because it's all a volume game and they'll just relist it?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

1) It's not normally the consignment company: it's the owners of the cards or their friends.
2) Say the current bid is $25 and you set your max bid at $101.44 . eBay will continue to bump your bid to the highest for any bid up to your max. So if the owner of the card bids $50, yours will show $51. Then they bid $60, you bid $61, etc. But if they bid $100, and the minimum increment (additional bid amount) is like $2.50, your $101.44 bid will now show. Then they stop bidding.
3) This is why people don't bid large numbers until a few seconds before the auction ends; this is called a snipe bid. It makes it harder for you to be shill bid if you bid your number only at the end.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:51 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
1) It's not normally the consignment company: it's the owners of the cards or their friends.
2) Say the current bid is $25 and you set your max bid at $101.44 . eBay will continue to bump your bid to the highest for any bid up to your max. So if the owner of the card bids $50, yours will show $51. Then they bid $60, you bid $61, etc. But if they bid $100, and the minimum increment (additional bid amount) is like $2.50, your $101.44 bid will now show. Then they stop bidding.
3) This is why people don't bid large numbers until a few seconds before the auction ends; this is called a snipe bid. It makes it harder for you to be shill bid if you bid your number only at the end.
Interesting! I did not know that.

Thanks for sharing that, John!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Matt Ferroni

Oh gotcha. So in other words with the set it and forget it approach I can pretty much guarantee I am going to pay that max bid unless I throw it in at the last second and there's no time for them to bid up to my max because they always have the ability to do so by the nature of the min bid increment?

I feel like a moron, guess this is all eBay 101.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 AM

Here's a helpful tool for setting those snipe bids, or last second bids:

https://www.gavelsnipe.com/

Under the "my account" setting you can find a "my gavelsnipe preferences". On that page you will want to set your buffer to 6 or 7 seconds.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Matt Ferroni

Nice thanks CW. So I’m straight- the idea is say a card is currently at $30 with 4 hours to go. I would be willing to spend $50 for it but if I could get for $40 obviously that would be better. If I set a traditional bid at $50 now with that much time left I could definitely get bid up to my max by shill bidding. If I submit my $50 last minute and everyone else’s max is $40 I would win it for $41? With this tool I can still set my max but it waits for the last few seconds do to submit it? Genius.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
Nice thanks CW. So I’m straight- the idea is say a card is currently at $30 with 4 hours to go. I would be willing to spend $50 for it but if I could get for $40 obviously that would be better. If I set a traditional bid at $50 now with that much time left I could definitely get bid up to my max by shill bidding. If I submit my $50 last minute and everyone else’s max is $40 I would win it for $41? With this tool I can still set my max but it waits for the last few seconds do to submit it? Genius.
That helps but some of the shill bidders are now also setting snipe bids.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That helps but some of the shill bidders are now also setting snipe bids.
Much rarer. If that happens and the seller offers you a second chance when the buyer "backs out", you tell them no.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, the shill bidding happens/happened with the sports auction houses as well. That's what brought down Mastro; their software did not mask high bid amounts from the company, and the employees would place bids up to your max to make you pay more by bidding against yourself.
That tactic is legal in some states as long as the auction houses inform you. So when you create an account with Heritage, REA, Mile High, etc., make sure you read the fine print on their auction rules. (Not sure which ones allow it, and which don't)
Or just bid one increment at a time at the end of the auction.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-04-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Dirtbags. But how do they know exactly when to stop and not push it over everyone's max? Or do they not care because it's all a volume game and they'll just relist it?
Correct, if they do make a mistake and 'win' then it just ends up re-listed one way or another, whether the first 'win' ever gets paid for or not. Then they're just less optimistic with the shills next time. Happened to me a few weeks ago (same seller).
Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Ran across this yesterday and struck me as very strange. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but this raised a bit of a flag for me. Take a look at the two cards below - both have sold within the last month (one bought by me yesterday in full disclosure and I noticed this after the fact).

Anyone else think it is curious that the PSA certification numbers are only one off? Especially for such a high grade card with a qualifier that overall should be a pretty rare submission shouldn't it?

One step further, 43072565 is ALSO a '67 Aaron graded at an 8. This wouldn't seem too abnormal to me if these were '89 Donruss Griffeys or something that someone submitted a whole bunch at a time hoping for one to grade out a 10.
These Aarons are nearly guaranteed to be from the
same wax/vending box. This means they came off
the same print runs so they seem identical. I send
runs of cards like this in all the time. Fairly common
occurrence.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:49 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

One other thing regarding ebay and shills: Don't go back and increase your bid when you are already winning. A shill bidder will check the bid history and if they see you are the high bidder and have made the 2 most recent bids, they know they can safely increase the bid until they beat the first (lower) of your 2 bids. You are telling them that you have already made a bid that is higher than your original max, so they can nudge the bid in between.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Matt Ferroni

Great tips guys, thanks! Mark - I was actually doing that all the time not realizing I was a sitting duck!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I always make a placeholder bid and a snipe via auctionstealer. Saved me thousands over the years. it is the only way I will bid on stuff from Probstein: either I get it for the minimum or my snipe.

I can tell you as an honest seller that I hate seeing two bids from the same sole bidder because I know there is money on the table I won't get if the item sells for that initial bid, but that's the price of integrity. Well worth it IMO.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Matt Ferroni

Yeah I guess philosophically you can look at it from both sides. If as the buyer my max bid is truly how much I am ultimately willing to pay for something then maybe that should always be the amount of the sale. Anything under feels good to me as a “discount” but actually represents an imperfect market. When you look at an item the questions isn’t “what’s the most someone else is willing to pay for that and I’ll pay a dollar more” it should be “what am I willing to pay for it”, shouldn’t it?

Last edited by mferronibc; 07-07-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Yeah I guess philosophically you can look at it from both sides. If as the buyer my max bid is truly how much I am ultimately willing to pay for something then maybe that should always be the amount of the sale. Anything under feels good to me as a “discount” but actually represents an imperfect market. When you look at an item the questions isn’t “what’s the most someone else is willing to pay for that and I’ll pay a dollar more” it should be “what am I willing to pay for it”, shouldn’t it?
Given an unlimited budget perhaps.

For those of us who have to choose between items, knowing what someone else might pay is only part of the equation in figuring out what to bid, or so move on and not waste my time on something I'm sure to loose.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
When you look at an item the questions isn’t “what’s the most someone else is willing to pay for that and I’ll pay a dollar more” it should be “what am I willing to pay for it”, shouldn’t it?
You definitely sound like an easy mark. Don't buy magic beans.