NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Albert Bee

Default Major Auction..Confusing ??

Had an odd thing ( I thought ) happen to me in a major card auction

Bid on a tough card... was ahead for quite a few days at about 400 bucks

Got an email saying - you've been outbid......followed by another - Wait..the guy retracted..your still high bidder

Was concerned ,because you read all the time about the shillers, the retractors, the canceled bid guys..and it always sounds shady

So anyway, the auction nearing the end..all of a sudden I see the item I was winning , now Im not..... now a reserve min bid of like 1000 bucks

Where did that come from...Why wasn't that mentioned from the beginning ??
Old 07-18-2019, 07:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

This auction must have had a hidden reserve. Most auction houses will note the day a reserve will post. I believe it's typical that these post half way through the auction or so. I think it's unusual to have one post near the end of the auction or without warning. But I could be wrong about that. You may get a better answer if you post a link or explain where this happened.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Albert Bee

Default puzzling auction ??

Im not a big player in the high dollar major auction game..but this whole thing just got more confusing

Now the item I was high bid on..before the hidden reserve jumped up...now is accepting offers on the item..like a buy it now ?? and they are basically telling me exactly what I have to " pay/offer " to win the card ??

It just doesn't seem to me like that's the way an AUCTION is supposed to work

The few times I put stuff in the hands of a major auction house..I had absolutely no control or say of min bid, was not told of hidden reserve, etc..

Its unbelievable.. you sell something in an auction..you take a beating...you buy something in an auction,,,you take a beating

You cant win !
Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

This does sound odd. I've never seen a major AH run an auction like that. Is Candiman Auctions back in business?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Suggest stopping placing bids on the item and finding a new AH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Albert Bee

Default auction

Im not asking for your suggestions

just bringing up an auction point
Old 07-23-2019, 08:21 PM

but it's not nearly as helpful unless saying where it happened. there are a couple dozen or so AHs outside of eBay. forum members would prefer an open debate about whether or which are disreputable and to be avoided.

I know the board has rules about derogatory or unfounded accusations, but there is no prohibition about facts. And frankly it's all our money as individuals that make the hobby run in the first place, so for that matter a 'fact' is that we don't owe any deference to those out there that are trying to steal our money.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
but it's not nearly as helpful unless saying where it happened. there are a couple dozen or so AHs outside of eBay. forum members would prefer an open debate about whether or which are disreputable and to be avoided.

I know the board has rules about derogatory or unfounded accusations, but there is no prohibition about facts. And frankly it's all our money as individuals that make the hobby run in the first place, so for that matter a 'fact' is that we don't owe any deference to those out there that are trying to steal our money.
Maybe the OP doesn't want to get attacked like the poor innocent guy that is getting screwed by Heritage on the main forum. Seems if you call out anybody for doing something wrong you get attacked. Seems strange to me.