NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Default Logorithmic Set Collecting

Using a logorithmic scale, how would you rate a set based on how easy it is to complete. For example, I assume the easiest sets would be something like 2012 Topps since you can go to the nearest Walmart or Target and just pick one up for $20 or so. They get rated a 1. A 2008 Topps set may require looking on Ebay and using a Paypal account. Not as easy as the 2012 set but certainly not hard. Give it a 2 since it technically is around 10 times harder to acquire just for effort. 1975 Topps might get a 3 since the price is a bit higher and there may not be sets ending every day.

1934 Goudey? How about a 4. None of the cards are hard to find.

T206? A 5? Yes it very very expensive. But several Wagners appear every year and you don't even need to go more than a couple years to pick up a Doyle Nat'l. Maybe that should be a 6 just because of the price.

So what is 10 times harder than the T206? E107? Should it be a 7?

Where does the Old Judge fit in?

What is the hardest? For me it's the T231 Fan set. Isn't it a couple hundred cards of which only 2 are known? I guess that is "beyond category". But it's possible a set may exist with a relative of a former employee.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to complete the N224 Kinney military set and after 12 years I am still 10 cards short. Mostly because there are 6 cards where there are less than 4 cards known. That's why nobody has completed it, although Tiger-Wharton was just 1 short. It would be far easier for me to work extremely hard, save my money, and pay for the T206 Wagner and Doyle then to actually find the N224 cards I am looking for. That set gets an 8.

Thoughts? T205 folks? Cabinets?

Last edited by egbeachley; 01-31-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fan changed to T231
Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Archive

Eric

I would think the 1893 Just So set would be worthy of a high number since only one example of Ewing has ever been discovered.

Jantz
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Sean Costello

There was a 1931 set in which the manufacturer only produced 2 of the Fred Lindstrom card, so far as we can determine, so that set is nearly impossible to complete. I can't remember the name of the set, but if Barry reads this he can tell us. I remember that he handled the sale of the second Lindstrom about 15 years ago.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'd think the "at will" sets would receive the 1, on this hypothetical scale. 2012, 2008, 1992. What's the difference? Anyone who wants one probably has one, or could get one "at will"..

Stage 2, to me would be the sets that are more often collected than simply bought. I'm not sure where the cut-off would be. But I'd probably place it right around '78 and older(if it doesn't fall into another stage), because honestly, anything newer than that, I'd just buy complete without a second thought.

Stage 3 would probably be very similar to Stage 2, but with a bigger $ card or two. Maybe '68(Ryan). '67(seaver and carew). 63(Rose). so on and so on. Often combined with SP high series and the such.. I'd think many of the smaller pre-war sets would also fit here. I'd put '48 bowman in this category only because it's a small set.

Stage 4 would be similar to Stage 3, but this time with HUGE $$$ cards. '49, '51 Bowman. '52, 54, 55 Topps and maybe '57(No Huge $$$ cards, but a seemingly abnormal amount of high $ ones.) Also, the more common pre-war sets, without any crazy expensive cards. like a 40 Playball 41 double play. sets like that.

Stage 5 would probably be similar pre-war issues that are a little harder to come by. Or smaller issues that probably have a few high $ cards. '39 '41 Playball, 34 goudey, some of the smaller E's and T's would probably also fit this mold..

Stage 6 would be the same as 5, but would have a card or two that would probably be out of most people's price range. Maybe '33 Goudey with the Lajoie. T206. You get the idea. Or the Larger and/or more obscure pre-war sets.

Stage 7, should take us to the rarer early 1900's sets, and the smaller(somewhat attainable) 19th century sets.

Stage 8, would probably be the Larger 19th century sets, or sets that contain a few insanely priced(yet attainable) cards.

Stage 9, sets that there's just a card or two that may be near impossible to get..

Stage 10. sets that people would be happy just to ever get 1 card from(not to mention complete it). 1893 Just So Tobacco comes to mind.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Eric

I would think the 1893 Just So set would be worthy of a high number since only one example of Ewing has ever been discovered.

Jantz
It's funny. I started writing my mess before you posted. Unfortunately, it took me about a half-hour to write. I was happy to see that I wasn't the only one who mentioned the Just So set. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I thought 10.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-30-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
It was the first thing that came to my mind when I thought 10.
Me too!

Jantz
Old 01-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Matt Hall

Cool thread!

I would put old judge at a nine, same with just so. There are many unique player cards in the old judge set so IMO it would have to be on the same level as just so... Not on the same level as fan's cigeretts though.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Cool thread!

I would put old judge at a nine, same with just so. There are many unique player cards in the old judge set so IMO it would have to be on the same level as just so... Not on the same level as fan's cigeretts though.
I think the distinguishing factor between the two is that almost EVERY card in the Just So set is like that.. With OJ you could at least simplify "your set" to just not include the unique cards, with the JS, good luck even getting one.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hard to say what all of our beauties would be in rarity scales. It's sort of relative. I sometimes think of them in how many years it is between seeing one for sale.

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Stage 3 would probably be very similar to Stage 2, but with a bigger $ card or two. Maybe '68(Ryan). '67(seaver and carew). 63(Rose). so on and so on. Often combined with SP high series and the such.. I'd think many of the smaller pre-war sets would also fit here. I'd put '48 bowman in this category only because it's a small set.

Stage 4 would be similar to Stage 3, but this time with HUGE $$$ cards. '49, '51 Bowman. '52, 54, 55 Topps and maybe '57(No Huge $$$ cards, but a seemingly abnormal amount of high $ ones.) Also, the more common pre-war sets, without any crazy expensive cards. like a 40 Playball 41 double play. sets like that.

Stage 5 would probably be similar pre-war issues that are a little harder to come by. Or smaller issues that probably have a few high $ cards. '39 '41 Playball, 34 goudey, some of the smaller E's and T's would probably also fit this mold..

Stage 6 would be the same as 5, but would have a card or two that would probably be out of most people's price range. Maybe '33 Goudey with the Lajoie. T206. You get the idea. Or the Larger and/or more obscure pre-war sets..
Hey there David,
NiCe Write~uP! So, I'm curious... of the above Stages, where would You put the E90-1 Set? Just thought I'd ask Your opinion since You created this neat little "Log Stage Write~uP".

This Thread is Brilliant!!! I Love Statistic's...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
Hey there David,
NiCe Write~uP! So, I'm curious... of the above Stages, where would You put the E90-1 Set? Just thought I'd ask Your opinion since You created this neat little "Log Stage Write~uP".

This Thread is Brilliant!!! I Love Statistic's...
Honestly, it's not a set that I have a whole lot of experience with. But from looking through the Standard Catalog, I'd probably say that it fits in as a lower level Stage 6. Nothing insanely priced, but there's quite a few higher $ cards.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Issues

Ed, there are many ways to go about this. I would prefer using the scarcity of the set and the scarcity of individual cards with in a set, without taking into account the price of the set or the price of individual cards within the set, and without taking into account the condition of the cards, since some sets are rarely found with individual cards grading higher than a two.

So, without pricing and condition, I would have to put:

Weil Baking at a 7 or 8
Holsum Bread at 8 or 9
Coupon Type 2 at 6 or 7
Coupon type 3 at 8
Coupon type 1 at 9.
Kotton at 8
Virginia Extra at 9

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Eric Perry

For the sake of keeping things in perspective, should modern sets be considered? In recent years, the card companies have taken manufactured scarcity to the extreme...1 of 1's.

They produce cards which differ in some way from the base card. They might have a different color scheme, a die-cut shape, etc. Occasionally, they have inserted actual printing plates into packs. Then they stamp the card with 1/1...as in the only one in existence. And they will do this for all 100 players (or however many cards there are in the set.)

So there are dozens (hundreds, maybe...it seems like they put five or ten of these damn things out every year) of modern sets which contain nothing but one-of-a-kind examples.

Back to my original question...should they be considered in this discussion?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I forgot that the Old Judge set has 19 Califormia league players, roughly half of which are 1 of 1. That set gets a 10.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Steve Murray

1911 Zeenut set is a 9 due to the nearly impossible Bohen.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Whether fiction or fact, until Dr. Frank replies with his number...its all speculation to me

E210 York Type 2 needs a tough ranking...that's all I know.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Val Kehl

I believe there is only one known example of the Roger Peckinpaugh card for the 1925 Holland Creameries set.

The T214 Victory Tobacco set supposedly consists of 90 subjects (as stated on the backs of these cards), but only about 60 subjects ahve been checklisted.

Would these sets be rated as 10s?
Val
Old 02-01-2013, 01:30 AM

N167 Old Judge, Just So, 4 Base Hits, Kalamazoo Bats, Gypsie Queen are all 10's imho.
JimB
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
One sold just 6 years ago. This set gets a 7...8 at the highest.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Steve Murray

Maybe I should have said "intact" Bohen. The one that sold was a cutout.

I still think its a 9.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 02-01-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Zeenut?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
I've heard there are more difficult years then 1911. Some years have player cards with only one known, some have cards that used to be known(lost), also period checklists with cards that haven't been found. (there were no chase cards in Zeenut)