NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default Jewish Baseball Players

Posted By: Elliot

Sat, August 14, 2004

Hall of Fame goes kosher
Jewish ballplayers will be honoured at Cooperstown dinner this month
By AP

Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax are already in the Hall of Fame. The other 141 Jewish major leaguers will get their due this month. The Cooperstown, N.Y., shrine will host "A celebration of Jews in baseball" Aug. 29-30 in conjunction with the 350th anniversary of Jews in America. It will be the first kosher dinner in the Hall.

"It's a small group and it's an honour to be among them," said Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman Shawn Green, the most accomplished of 10 active Jewish players.

"There's been some great ones. Obviously, Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax are the two that people know the most ... but there's been a lot of others that aren't as well known that have had good careers."

Jewish kids in the United States have never had too many athletic role models to follow. Greenberg battled anti-Semitism that came from the stands and opposing dugouts; Koufax's refusal to pitch in the World Series on Yom Kippur is a story told in every temple.

But it gets pretty thin after that. In fact, since Jakob Pike suited up for Hartford, a charter member of the National League, in 1877, just 143 Jews have played major league baseball. (Sorry, Adam Sandler: Hall of Famer Rod Carew isn't one of them.)

"When I played, I was the only one," said Mark Gilbert, a Chicago White Sox outfielder in 1985 who went on to become the president of his synagogue after leaving the game. "It was easy to keep track."

The Hall of Fame event is partly the work of Martin Abramowitz, an executive of a Jewish charity in Boston. Abramowitz was trying to collect baseball cards of every Jew who made it to the majors when he found that there were no cards for some of the old-timers.

His son, Jacob, suggested that he make his own cards, sketching out a logo with a baseball inside a six-pointed star. So the elder Abramowitz sorted through newspaper obituaries and libraries and tracked down team photographers for the rest.

When it came time to produce the cards, Jacob helped out again: The boy in the next bunk at summer camp was the son of Fleer CEO Roger Grass, and a meeting was arranged over Parents' Weekend.

Grass, whose company prints baseball cards, helped obtain clearance from baseball and its players union and produced 15,000 boxed sets. They are being sold for $105 US as a fund-raiser by the American Jewish Historical Society, which is underwriting the project.

A set of the cards now resides in Cooperstown, along with plaques for Koufax and Greenberg and a variety of artifacts from the careers of Jewish players: the bat Green used to hit four homers on May 23, 2002; the bat Ron Blomberg used when he became the majors' first designated hitter; more than a dozen items from Moe Berg, the former catcher and Second World War spy, including his Medal of Freedom and passport.

Ken Holtzman, who threw two no-hitters, and Norm Sherry, who was Koufax's catcher, are scheduled to attend, as is Blomberg. Harry Danning, 92, the former New York Giant who is the oldest living Jewish major leaguer, won't be there.

"I can't travel," he said in a telephone interview. -- AP

"Doctor won't let me."

Keeping track of the Jews in baseball has become easier since Greenberg. Before him, many Jews in and out of baseball Americanized their names; just one has done so since the Tigers slugger paved a trail to tolerance.

"They were using their athletic talent, trying hard to make it as Americans," Abramowitz said. "That's true for all of us. We all play America's game and we all have to decide what to do with our Jewishness."

Gilbert said being a Jewish ballplayer was no hindrance by the time he played; though there was peer pressure to participate in clubhouse prayer services, it didn't bother him. Danning said he would hear catcalls from opposing bench jockeys but he never felt burdened by being Jewish. "The fans, if you played good, they were there for you," he said.

But he also played in New York and had several Jewish teammates. "It's no coincidence that so many of them played in New York during the 1940s," Abramowitz said.

Danning's brother, Ike, played two games for the 1928 St. Louis Browns. They are among six pairs of Jewish brothers to make the majors, most recently the Sherrys, Larry and Norm, who were teammates on the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1959-62.

And boy, was their mother proud.

For Green, the biggest problem for a modern Jewish ballplayer is turning down all the bar mitzvah invitations from fans.

"I get all kinds of stuff, and you can only do the most you can," he said. "It's tough during the season because there aren't too many Jewish players, so everywhere we go the Jewish communities reach out to us. We do what we can."

Boston Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis was immortalized in the book Moneyball as the "Greek God of Walks," but he is not Greek at all. A Jew of Romanian descent, he said he honours a sort of separation of church and plate.

"To me, being a baseball player is one thing and religion is another. I don't mix and match," he said. "Baseball's almost a religion in itself."

At least Youkilis isn't alone: Red Sox outfielder Gabe Kapler is also Jewish. Boston, the last team to racially integrate, also has Jews throughout the front office, including general manager Theo Epstein and chairman Tom Werner.

"It's unspoken, but we share a common bond out there," Kapler said. "You have 24 guys who have a very different belief system than the one you were brought up with. You never feel that you are left out, but you understand: There's a difference."

Youkilis has been up and down to the minors this year. Abramowitz updates his list to keep up with player movement and, once in a while, adds someone who was missed in his initial research.

Last month, after a newspaper article about his cards, he was called by the son of Lefty Weinert, a pitcher for the Phillies in the 1920s, who attested to his father's Judaism.

A Ph.D. in Social Welfare, Abramowitz took his research a step further. He found that Jews, who made up about two per cent of the U.S. population during the 20th Century, comprised just 0.8 per cent of baseball players through the 2002 season.

They had hit 2,032 homers -- 0.9 per cent of the major league total. Their .265 batting average is three percentage points higher than the overall average. Jewish pitchers are 20 games over .500, with six of baseball's first 230 no-hitters (four by Koufax, including a perfect game, and two by Holtzman).

The one stat in which Jews fall short is stolen bases, with a total of 995 through 2002 -- fewer than Rickey Henderson did all by himself.

"Obviously," Abramowitz said, "it's because they were honouring the Eighth Commandment."

Old 08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Elliot,

This information is very cool. Thanks for sharing. I hope my cousin, Sid Gordon, is well represented. He was one of the better Jewish major leaguers.

It seems like there is a larger percentage of Jewish vintage card collectors than the percentage of Jewish major leaguers. Just an observation.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

Old 08-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Andy, Let's face it, once a jewish kid gets to be bar mitzvah age he has a better chance of owning a major league team than playing for one.....and a much better chance of being a sportscard collector.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Andy, as a kid the Braves first baseman, Earl Torgeson lived accross the street from us on Lakewood Road in Natick Massachusetts and I met your cousin Sid. I was, as my father was, a Red Sox fan; but my mother was a Braves fan. Saw Sid play and hit several home runs in Braves field which is now Nickerson Field at Boston University.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

I never got to meet Sid personally. He died in 1975, when I was only 4 years old. My uncles knew him well, and have told me lots about him.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 08-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

World Wide Gum (Canadian Goudey)--which has a half-French back. The WWG is typically a little paler than the Goudey--which tends to look like he has a sunburn.

Old 08-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

Looking at a 1871 program, Haymakers vs Mutuals.
There's a Pike listed batting 7th and playing right field for Troy.
I wonder if that's Jakob or Lipman Pike?

It's too bad that Harry Danning can't make the Cooperstown Jewish celebration on the 29th/30th of August.
If it isn't a medical problem, why don't they set up a double TV hookup just to say "Hello".
It's a once in a lifetime happening for everyone, and what could be better than to have the oldest living Jewish ballplayer say Hi from home and be part of it?
Just a thought from a former production stage manager.

Andy Baran:
I got to see Sid Gordon play quite a few games for the Giants at the Polo Grounds.
He was a hell of a good ball player, and like Peter Thomas says, he could hit the dinger.
---------------------------------
Elliot:

"Andy, Let's face it, once a jewish kid gets to be bar mitzvah age he has a better chance of owning a major league team than playing for one.....and a much better chance of being a sportscard collector."
Elliot you have no idea how much on target that is.
I now live in Virginia, and I go to about 50 Potomac Cannons games of the Carolina League.
The team is a high class A level owned by this guy that once lived in Annapolis - now lives in Florida, and flys up for the home stands during the seasons.
The man is a retired Banker sort of.
He loves the game, and is doing what he loves to do.
Part of what he loves to do is suit up and coach on first. ... in between innings, he'll work the crowd. .... P.T. Barnum lives.
I love the guy and his family.
When I first met him, I found out that he was from Brooklyn and that he use to play his stickball games right outside of Ebbets Field.
He told me that they wouldn't start the stickball game until the lady finished singing the National Anthem at Ebbets Field. ... he was serious. ..... you gotta love it.
This guy got married at homeplate.
How many of us can go to work in a baseball uniform wearing number 42 on the back?
How many of us got married at homeplate?

Being that I was from NYC Manhattan.
Being that I went to Seward Park H.S. in the lower East Side.
Being that I knew ha bissel Yiddish.
Being that I loved kishka, bagels & lox, pickles right from the barrel and marble halavah cut to order.
Being that at one time or another, I had the privledge and honor to be invited to celebrate a holy day .... I had Yarmulke, will travel.

Ultimately, Art Silber - oh yeah that's this guys name, Art Silber - came up to me with a bewildered look on his face and said, "What are you?"

With a smile I said:
"I'm a Puerto Rican/Cuban/New Yorker -- With a Hebrew National taste."

We have been lansmen from the old country ever since.

Joe

Old 08-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

www.jewsinsports.org

Lots of detailed info on many sports.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

Harry Danning lives in my town of Valparaiso Indiana, about 3 miles from me. I called him on the telephone last year and he talked to me for about 30 minutes and was the nicest ex-ballplayer I have ever met. He had a stroke a few years back and cant even sign autographs anymore. He told me I was welcome to come over to his house anytime and talk about baseball, but I have not done so yet.

I too think that the Hall of Fame is missing out by not doing SOMETHING to include him in the festivities. He was not just a jewish ballplayer who happened to live to be in his 90's, he was a great major leaguer!

Old 08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Not Pre War Sports

You will regret it if you don't take advantage of the opportunity to talk to one of the last pre-war players living. Even without autographs or anything, just listening to him talk will give you memories for a lifetime.

Rich

Old 08-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe P.

It will be a precious and special moment in time that you can claim as yours forever.

Joe