NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default A suggestion for Bob Lemke and the Standard Catalog

Posted By: Cy

Hi Bob,

I was curious if your catalog would be interested in having a quarterly pricing magazine for the older cards. Becketts does this, albeit for newer cards. And since the prices change so much over a year's time, this might be a way to give the vintage collector something that he has been desiring for some time, a price guide geared directly to him. You could maybe direct the prices for pre-1976 to give you a bigger clientele list.

This smaller magazine would be a smaller undertaking, so that it is not that taxing on you and your staff. Since you probably keep tabs on the prices all year round, this could be a win-win situation. Plenty of the people on this board would probably buy a subscription and your magazine could earn extra revenue. I know I would buy a subscription to this if I could get the card prices updated every three months.

Let me know how you feel and if this is feasible.

Sincerely,

Cy

Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

THis is a great idea for them or somebody else. Maybe the folks at Old Cardboard would like to add a priceguide or produce a separate magazine with just a priceguide. SMR is so off on so many issues. It would be great to have a price guide produced by people who follow vintage pricing.
JimB

Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Price guides in print are obsolete by the time they mark it up send for seps then print and finally ship it the market has already changed. You will be able to get instant results form vintagecardprices.com in another month and the prices are updated and added to daily.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

No offense to Robert or Ted, but isn’t this the board where people beat up folks for plugging auctions that benefit to their financial gain? Haven’t we had this discussion a thousand times that it’s viewed as a conflict of interest of sorts? How is plugging your new business venture any different?

At this point maybe it would be a good time to sell advertising space to offset the cost of operating the board Leon.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have been watching the posts about the 2 new on-line price guides for the last several days. I feel there is a fine line between a slight plug and outright advertising. I will not let too many more threads go about the guides, if any. They will have to make it on their own, as far as advertising on this board, especially in the main forum. I don't want advertising of any kind, at this time, on the board. It's nothing personal. Who knows what the future will hold but I have never been close to allowing it, so far. I will watch the posts and threads closely and this can be fair warning that I don't want to see too many plugs for businesses on the board. Nothing personal...I hope everyone, everywhere, is successful in his or her venture....regards

Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

John & Leon -
I agree completely. That is why we have only started one thread and it was to ask for some more people who were interested in beta/alpha testing. The only other posts i have made under the cardpricer.com name were in response to the situation with Wayne being a part of our group. We neither mentioned that here on the board or brought it to anyone's attention through private communication. We have not gone into detail about our features, marketing strategy, or anything other than the sort. If you ask, I'll answer, but we're not here to advertise. I am not around the board as much as I was three weeks ago or so, and it will probably remain as such. If you ever have any questions, you should by now, know how to reach me.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

Robert, I agree with you completely. What is the since of having a hard copy of a price guide at a card show when you can just ask the dealer what vintagecardprices.com stated the last time that they looked it up. It will make the dealer spaces neater to not have any price guides cluttering up the back up tables.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Thanks for the suggestion, but a print media price guide for vintage cards is not commercially feasible. At least that's what the bean counters say. Realistically if you could 2,000 paid subscribers, that would be a huge percentage of the active vintage collectors, yet would not be enough to attract the advertisers needed to pay the bills.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

What about Old Cardboard fattening up their magazine with a price guide? I would be willing to pay more for that. Others?
JimB

Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

A printed price guide really is unfeasable. As has been pointed out, by the time it hits the newsstand, it's outdated. Maybe once the market cools off a printed guide would work, but I think most of us follow ebay and the other auctions closely enough to know what the market is for the cards we are interested in. Besides, with 2 online price guides coming up, there really is no need for a printed guide due to the limited market, as pointed out by Mmr Lemke

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

is all we use of the guide - 100 pages of major league and 19th century and 25 pages of minor league so this would be too large for Old Cardboard's current publication. However, someone might undertake the data imput to produce such a book, since it really does not change with no cards being added year after year. If prices were included it would have to be updated every year or two. AH's book was kind of like this and I still find reference value in it and the prices have caught up in 15 years or so since publication. Ah - if I were 30 no make that 40 years younger. Zack get cracking you can do it.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I always just buy the yearly SCD Catalog (Lemke), then chop out 2/3rds of the book, the new stuff (1980-now) and retape the spine, and now I just have a book 1 inch thick. Its worked for me for the last 5 years or so. Im happy with the SCD Catalog.