NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default Maybe I'm getting smarter

Posted By: Tom

Few weeks ago, this "collection" shows up on Ebay (can't remember if it was mentioned here).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44821&item=8818971421

Several of the cards had been recently purchased by the seller and he had combined them with a few others. Auction didn't meet reserve. This week he's selling a VG-EX T206 Matty that he bought for $735 in April. I'm the high bidder at $305 until "kindnessjoe(0)" steps in. kindnessjoe joined eBay today and is also in Canada (home of the seller). Auction ends with no other bids at 461.78. Immediately after the auction ends, I sent a message to the seller: "I have a sneaky suspicion that kindnessjoe won't pay for this auction. If you want to sell it to me, send me your best price." Believe it or not, he replied immediately with this:

"His contact info is Canada but his email to me contained a foreign IP address. Definately sounds like a scammer. I paid $850 for this card. Looks like no matter what I'm going to take a hit on this. Pending no response from the winner I could let this go for $800usd shipped w/ insurance."

I almost sent a counteroffer, before I realized the kind of person I'm likely dealing with. Would you?

But it kills me to think I "won" the auction at $305 and won't get the card. Were the rest of you just too savy to go after it in the first place?

Just thought others would like to be alerted.
Tom

Old 06-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I wouldnt have bid too much because of the 4 feedback and Canada info.

But thats just me.

he seems to be just trying to flip cards for a profit, but it wont happen with his feedback.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

he's obviously a liar, i would call him on that and look for another matty elsewhere...he'll probably continue to shill until he gets close to what he paid for the card, he wont want to take too much of a loss if any...

Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

There are clear warning signs here. These include a low feedback seller, and an apparent attempt to "save" his auction by employing a shill.

That being said, I do not see a scam. Apparently the seller has the cards, and is willing to sell them, and they appear legitimate. Of course he wants to make a profit, and of course you want a bargain.

You did not win the auction, the shill did. He did not offer you a second chance on his auction, you contacted him. There is therefore no reason to honor your high bid (except it is wrong to use a shill - which he will claim he did not do).

If you want to proceed, it is a question of price negotiation, I think. He has indicated a willingness to take a loss. State to him your best offer, or go on to the next opportunity. I recommend the latter.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Or, if you report possible shill bidding to Ebay, I'm pretty sure they can check IP addresses and if they look suspicious it may start a file on the guy that will protect the next legitimate bidder.......

Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

check the 1954 Ted Williams auction. The guy who thinks he would had "won" the auction for $305 is wrong, someone else could had bid if the price stayed at $305.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i would be hessitant to buy from a seller who used a shill. run away from this deal, there are plenty of others.