NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default Long time Lurker coming out

Posted By: Dave

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker ( almost 2 years) and a first time poster. I first found this forum on a google search. I was trying to learn more about the T206 series. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

I used to collect baseball cards when I was young. Then I sold them all and bought my first car. It was a Mustang, no- not a good one an eight year old piece of junk '84.

In 2003 I was talking to my mother in law about baseball and the Red Sox. She casually mentioned that she had some baseball cards upstairs in a shoe box. She explained that they were her fathers' and brothers' cards. All wrapped up in rubber bands I discovered names I only read about. Cobb, Mathewson, and to my novice eyes even a Wagner!

All excited we did a tally and counted about 180 T206's and about 30 T205's with a bunch of 48 through 50 Bowmans. Also hundreds of tobacco and bird cards.

The next day I went to the card shop to try to get an idea what I had. I brought the two Wagner cards and the Cobb Red Portrait.

Well, after much discussion and a brief learning experience, I learned that one of the Wagners was an E95 Caramel Card and that the other was some guy named Heinie. The shop owner offered me $1200 for the Cobb but I wasn't ready to part with anything before I did some research.

With a search I came here. And this is where I visit multiple times a day...sorry Leon for any misleading data for tracking purposes.

For those who love knowing about T206's and the backs. Well Im working on a list to share what I have. Most are Piedmonts with a few Polar Bears and Sweet Caporals mixed in. Though this Forum I have learned about grading, the numorous amount of backs, misprints and the like. I have become addicted to this set, let alone subsets. My goodness!

I would like to thank all of you for all your information and your willingness to share it in a public forum like this. I am slowly in the process of selling these cards...like Bilbo Baggins I cannot seem to let go of the T206's. To show how addicted I am, I am thinking of getting an artist to do work on comission. Two portraits. One of me and the other of my wife in a Classic T206 pose. Doctored in with our last name and city instead of the real deal.

So If you actually read all this thank you. I probably won't post again and just keep lurkin'.

Dave

If you were to pick a pose for a portrait which T206 card would you choose?

At the moment I am thinking of Leifield batting for me and maybe a Mathewson dark cap for the Mrs.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

welcome.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Fun stuff and thanks for the read. If I were to have a pose, I would choose the Cobbie bats off.

James

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Dave,

All I would say is come join us! I am a newbie and have been treated great on this board. You're right, so much here to learn and so many willing to share.

Thanks for your story, now we'd like some scans!

RC

Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

haha thanks guys. I just feel like I joined AA or something....not that there is anything wrong with AA.

James, I would do the Cobb bat off but I just sold that one...

scans..hmm lets see what i can dig up....

e95 wagner psa 3 front

PinkyMay_1941_PSA3

YogiBerra_1947_PSA1

Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Much appreciated, now it's official, two posts and no longer a lurker. You are officially hooked!

RC

Old 04-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Between working a bazillion hours every week, studying for finals tomorrow and Thursday, and coming down with some flu bug just in time for exams ... I think right now I'd pick for myself one of the T206 sitting poses that appeared in a recent thread. I'd post an image, but am too worn out right now to look for one.

J

Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's ok about messing up the count on the board. Out of around 20k hits per day to the front page I have about 19k of them....Welcome to "coming out" in our whacky world. It twists and turns, as you know, and if it gets dull....just wait a few days. There is a train wreck just around the next corner.... Take care

Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome aboard!!!
Always elated to hear that there's another T206 aficionado out there!
You'll find many new colleagues here who will help with the collecting
and some great friends along the way.
The Monster will want you to quit; never listen to it!

all the best,

barry

Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane leonard

Dave
What a great read. Thanks for sharing. So it looks as if you decided to grade some of your cards? I see that you have a 47 Tip top bread card. Do you have anymore? I am trying to finish the set and lack two. I have tons of doubles if you need some.

Shane

Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Shane, I only have that one Berra in the Tip Top. Sorry.

And thanks everyone, I'm feeling right at home here.

I have decided on grading some cards. It's been hit or miss so far with PSA. I had a few cards kicked back with MC's I think that they should have been graded with atleast an Authentic.

Since I'm new to this what do you think?

1909 T206 Lefty Leifield batting front

1909 Philadelphia Caramel E95 Eddie Plank front

Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Dave,

Definitely post again. We enjoy hearing about "finds" of great cards. Welcome aboard.

Peter

Old 04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Dave- a belated welcome. When we're not talking about assault rifles or questionable auction practices, this is actually a very nice place to spend some time.

I'm a regular, but today David Bryan (an occasional poster) and I drove to New Jersey to look at lots in the Robert Edward Auctions, so I'm a little behind. What a cornucopia of great material. Got to see some old friends there too.

Anyway, stick around.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dave

Barry, I hope the drive to NJ wasn't terrible. That turnpike can get that way.

Yeah, looks like I'm here to stay.

Thanks

Dave

Old 04-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Most of the problems were on Route 78. But we made it there and back in one piece.