NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
They dont matter. Dodgers won period..and game was never close. You are biased. Especially when you look at this years playoffs he had one of the top 3 starts this year thus far. Times have changed. Pitching in the playoffs is a whole different animal now then even 10 years ago. Wait till series is over..but silly to comment when Dodgers are winning his starts, at least wait till comment if his team is losing. The dodgers care about wins not era. To say you dont pitch differently when your team is up 7 versus 0 is silly as well.

You can win world series MVP if you go 6.1 innings with 4 runs earned and win 3 starts. Heck Livan Hernandez won World Series MVP with a 5.27 era and a 1.829 whip with just 2 W's. Team wins matter obviously..and Kershaw's team won. Plus its not like he gave up 7 runs etc...
A- they won because of their offense (and Justin Turner is obviously their MVP so far after one game)

B- Home runs are bad, the three things a pitcher can directly control are K's, BB's and home runs (which is why FIP is more predictive of future success than ERA) so, maybe you could make the argument that Roberts should not have brought him out for the 7th, but to try and say he pitched well is a false narrative

C- people are smarter about what matters in baseball now,stuff like pitcher wins aren't considered important any more so Livan wouldn't win MVP in 2017

Last edited by bravos4evr; 10-07-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
A- they won because of their offense (and Justin Turner is obviously their MVP so far after one game)

B- Home runs are bad, the three things a pitcher can directly control are K's, BB's and home runs (which is why FIP is more predictive of future success than ERA) so, maybe you could make the argument that Roberts should not have brought him out for the 7th, but to try and say he pitched well is a false narrative

C- people are smarter about what matters in baseball now,stuff like pitcher wins aren't considered important any more so Livan wouldn't win MVP in 2017

Right,,he could of been tired gong into the 7th...if he just goes 6 innings and score was 6-4 maybe he doesnt even come out for the 7th.....its not the same thing to give up 2 runs when up 5 versus only up 2 on the late innings.

Justin turner is mvp right now but series is not over...game 2 wasnt great for turner...so again like i said kershaw is top 3 still mvp wise. YOu can also say the Dodgers are winning because the other teams staters are still pitching worse than kershaw...arizona has a more potent offense as well

and for C- you say people are smarter about what matters in baseball now, well holding a lead is more important than era. We can all argue about 'what matters' but there isnt a clear line. Livan still wins MVP as well. Plus season isnt over for Kershaw yet....need to wait for year to end to judge...but if he wins every start...i not sure how that hurts his legacy even if era is 5 if hes a top starting pitcher in all of the playoffs...again people are smarter about what matters in baseball now. starting pitching in the playoffs is a different standard than regular season....if you disagree than its not so easy to say 'people are smarter about what matters in baseball now" I value helping your team win.. There are about 90 % of the starters in this years playoffs that could of lost the game that kershaw won....goin g6 innings and getting a large lead is worth a lot.....again its only 1 game....still more time to decide.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-08-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
There are about 90 % of the starters in this years playoffs that could of lost the game that kershaw won....goin g6 innings and getting a large lead is worth a lot.....again its only 1 game....still more time to decide.
This is nonsensical rationalization.

Giving pitchers credit because they only gave up *insert more than 4 runs here* and won a game based on "preserving the lead" is silly, it's folly. Good pitching is good pitching. If a pitcher goes 6 and gives up 8 REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME, that was a bad start. No pitcher with multiple games that bad should win any individual awards for the postseason. Bad starts are bad starts, trying to make excuses for them based on the score doesn't work as an argument.

and the idea that Livan Hernandez won a world series MVP with this stat line:

13.2 inn pitched, 5.27 ERA, 7 K's, 10 BB's, 15 hits and 3 HR's allowed in 2 starts (where his teams won 7-4 and 8-7) is hilariously awful.Like, whoever voted for him was bad and they should feel bad.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

How well his own team hit has nothing at all to do with how well a pitcher pitched. This is entirely obvious.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Our depth is deeper than you're aware of. The Indians are the deepest team in baseball, and it's a shame we can't carry 30-35.

First of all, EE is reportedly day-to-day. Finish off the Yankees today, and you can just let him heal. Second of all, his replacement is All-Star Michael Brantley at DH. You pick your poison there. You lose a power bat, but you add a .300+ bat. Think about this. The Indians lineup with EE is Lindor, Kipnis, JRam, EE, Bruce, Slamtana, LF/Gomes/Perez, Gomes/Perez/LF, Urshella. Now you plug and play Brantley in there. Regardless, you still have to get through 6 hitters before you face a lesser bat, and even Austin Jackson is batting around .300 and has hit in that 7 hole, so that would mean 7 formidable hitters before a lesser bat. Plus, Gomes hit the game winner on Friday.
Good to hear!

Hopefully they finish off the Yankees tonight!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Good to hear!

Hopefully they finish off the Yankees tonight!
You and me both my friend!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-08-2017, 06:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
How well his own team hit has nothing at all to do with how well a pitcher pitched. This is entirely obvious.
Yes it does. Whenever someone says something is obvious or 'clearly' usually that means it is not in my humble experience...

two more starting pitchers tonight went about 2 innings...
Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
You and me both my friend!
@#$%^&* Judge! That was a 2 run H/R if any other right fielder was playing there!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
@#$%^&* Judge! That was a 2 run H/R if any other right fielder was playing there!
We have just missed 2 HRs tonight. AJax was a degree off in his launch angle (warning track) and then Frankie was robbed.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 10-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes it does. Whenever someone says something is obvious or 'clearly' usually that means it is not in my humble experience...

Hoping for a rainout tomorrow and Sale on Tuesday.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

this is more babbling nonsense.

I mean, the words are all english, but the order they in is hilariously wrong and silly. Like , do you even baseball bro?
Old 10-09-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Right,,he could of been tired gong into the 7th...if he just goes 6 innings and score was 6-4 maybe he doesnt even come out for the 7th.....its not the same thing to give up 2 runs when up 5 versus only up 2 on the late innings.

Justin turner is mvp right now but series is not over...game 2 wasnt great for turner...so again like i said kershaw is top 3 still mvp wise. YOu can also say the Dodgers are winning because the other teams staters are still pitching worse than kershaw...arizona has a more potent offense as well

and for C- you say people are smarter about what matters in baseball now, well holding a lead is more important than era. We can all argue about 'what matters' but there isnt a clear line. Livan still wins MVP as well. Plus season isnt over for Kershaw yet....need to wait for year to end to judge...but if he wins every start...i not sure how that hurts his legacy even if era is 5 if hes a top starting pitcher in all of the playoffs...again people are smarter about what matters in baseball now. starting pitching in the playoffs is a different standard than regular season....if you disagree than its not so easy to say 'people are smarter about what matters in baseball now" I value helping your team win.. There are about 90 % of the starters in this years playoffs that could of lost the game that kershaw won....goin g6 innings and getting a large lead is worth a lot.....again its only 1 game....still more time to decide.
If he wins every game and has an ERA over 5, he will still have the worst ERA for any pitcher in history with that many innings pitched. He will still be one of the worst postseason pitchers ever. He will still be a choker. Will it keep him put of the HOF? No. Will he ever be in the discussion of best pitchers of all time? Absolutely not, no matter how good his regular season stats are.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 PM

I don't think anyone needs more time to decide if Kershaw is a good postseason pitcher. He has proven himself not to be. He's even worse in the NLCS than he is in the NLDS. I can't imagine he'd be better in the Series. When you could theoretically have Kershaw throw 3 games in a 7 game series and you've still never managed to win one, that tells you all you need to know.

Last edited by packs; 10-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Kyle May

Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight. Nervous for tonight.
Take 10 sedatives and call me in the morning.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Take 10 sedatives and call me in the morning.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think anyone needs more time to decide if Kershaw is a good postseason pitcher. He has proven himself not to be. He's even worse in the NLCS than he is in the NLDS. I can't imagine he'd be better in the Series. When you could theoretically have Kershaw throw 3 games in a 7 game series and you've still never managed to win one, that tells you all you need to know.
right but if he wins 3 of 7 games you cant deny that he came through and criticism that post season performance, if that happens would be unwarranted even if his era was 4.8 for those starts etc..

anyway we will see....last year he was better at this point of the playoffs but he was involved in 3 games i believe..not just 1 at that stage..

In the games on 10/11/17 only one starter went more than 6.1 innings which is what kershaw did in his one start which people criticize ....

Zero surprise the Yankess are in the ALCS

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-11-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I can't believe NY pulled that series out. If the Cubs lose tomorrow, then I officially don't care about the rest of the post season.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 AM
D@le Irv*n

I went to bed early last night and was hoping for a different outcome when I woke this morning. The indians were making a comeback 3-2 and I was really hoping to read this morning they pulled it off.

Wasn't meant to be I guess, which sucks, as I was really hoping the Indians were going all the way!