NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Lee

Default Need Information on a 1952 Topps Frank House "Yellow' Tigers Logo Variation Card

I was on eBay today and came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290703339823...84.m1423.l2649

I bought the same card a few weeks ago at a show, but obviously neither I nor the dealer knew it was a variation card, I just paid the normal price for a 52 common. I checked the card today and compared it to other 52 Topps Tigers that I have and sure enough...the Frank House has the "Yellow" Tigers Logo.

The card has 4 sharp corners, no creases, and the centering is not too bad. I haven't decided to keep it or sell it yet, but I would really like to get an opinion of whether I should submit it to PSA or keep it Raw. I don't see the card getting less than a PSA 6 grade. Also I was wondering how rare this card is?

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Successful transactions with the following Net54 members: wcsportscards, t206blogcom, vintagetoppsguy, Golfcollector, Republicanmass, Wymers Auction, swanstars
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Doug Goodman

Looks fairly rare, based on a quick check of ebay.

It will never have any real value (like the 1958 Herrer) unless it were to get added to the catalog, which won't happen.

Different, but similar, is the 1958 blue background Aaron.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ght=blue+aaron

You should keep it.

But if you sell it, let us all know,
Doug
Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nice card

Nice card...in the future this type of question, on a postwar card, should go in the postwar section....located under the postwar icon at the top of every page. Good luck in the hunt!!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
David Pierson
Banned

No, I don't think that is the yellow logo variation. Sorry, I claim right here and now that I discovered this variation many many decades ago. All my pleas fell on deaf ears.......and the variation went unrecognized for over 25 years after I noticed it. A true "yellow logo" house has much of his neck completely yellow about the left quarter of the card 25 percent missing "red" on close inspection there are red and yellow dots that make up his neck on a regular "normal" house......on a yellow logo House even franks neck (on the left side) is yellow, the tigers tongue is completely yellow...missing all red.....your copy seems to have some darker red coloration on the tigers tongue. The "D" on his cap is red on all variations. The yellow logo House should have no red at all on his neck or in the logo...to repeat "red is missing from the entire left bottom quarter of a true "yellow logo" variation. Yours looks like it might be "light" or faded in the red department but to me by the scan it does not look like one. All this being said send it in to TPG and they might mistake it for a yellow logo one and....cha-ching! Aloha, Dave.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Lee

I apologize Leon for posting in this section, I'll put it in the proper section next time. Thank you everyone for the input everyone. If this isn't the Yellow version and I decide to sell it...what do I call this card? I don't want to claim it is the yellow version if it is not.

Successful transactions with the following Net54 members: wcsportscards, t206blogcom, vintagetoppsguy, Golfcollector, Republicanmass, Wymers Auction, swanstars
Old 04-29-2012, 07:13 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I think your card might be something in between the regular and yellow varietys.....those that know more about the printing process might help. Your card might shed some light on how this error happened and be one printed as the "red" was running out....I would keep it. Aloha, dave ps Hi Lee, from a natural born Michigander living in Paradise. Oh yeah, the ebay example looks funky on the left edge....pink like...maybe a product of the scan as the seller only mentions the rubber band marks and not the weird "pink" stain looking areas.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

we shall see when the ebay card lands I will set up a better scan. I just bumped the bid a few dollars thinking it would go higher and ended up winning it. The actual variation is a "pale yellow tongue" and I do see some red on the one posted, however it appears washed out cards are also selling higher because of the attention to the variation. This one I recently sold for $125. Notice there is no clear definition between the color of the Tiger and the color of the tongue

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.