NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Is this what a REAL bat card should be?

Tonight, we are having a "Scrubs Musical" party for my birthday. For those of you who haven't watched Scrubs before, do it - do it now. NO - first read this posting, then watch it - you will thank me! The musical is season 6, episode 6, on netflix.

Yesterday and this morning however, I have been spending time doing a few things I really enjoy: writing and card creating! You only turn 21 once.

Though that happened 14 years ago for me, I figured I'd share my latest concoctions online. I really enjoy the positive feedback, so why not post on my birthday?

Everyone knows Canseco's first Topps card ever made. On one of my previous threads, I had taken a picture of the various versions I had of it in my collection (though, I accidentally left out a few.)

The superfractor is something I came up with, of course. A while back, I remember someone doing an Allen & Ginter card using the same picture. I don't believe it was ever "produced" by anyone, so I figured why not? I just did my mustachioed version of an A&G card.

I sprinkled some magic custom dust and whammo!

The Canseco version. I really love it.

Then, I thought to myself - "Self! What could I do better?"

After twirling my mustache a bit, I thought ... why not do the world's first mustache transplant? Maaahhhvelous!

Canseco with a boss mustache - I don't think life gets any better than this.

Then I remembered the game used bat I had just cut up....

Okay ... maybe I didn't "just" think about it. Maybe I had pre-cut some slices to certain dimensions for something crazy.

Is it possible that I had pre-meditated something so insane...so dastardly, that my collection would never be the same?

After sanding the trapezoid to a rectangle, I wanted to give something a try.

If you haven't guessed yet, I'm talking about a game used bat card.

NO NO NO NO NO. Not a baseball card with a piece of a game used bat embedded in it. I'm talking about a a baseball card that is actually MADE out of a piece of the game used bat.

This took a long, long time folks. The learning curve was something. The trips back and forth to various shops was sizable ... almost as big as the blister on my thumb from having to re-do the dang thing three times.

Part of this requires transferring the art to the wood after about 8 hours of drying. Now, is the moment of truth ...

Gently rubbing it all off ....

Looking good!

The final product!

And of course, the back.

So there you have it - my first REAL game used bat card. I figured I'd leave the 'stache to the regular version. I hope to get it signed of course, at some point, and will likely make my own custom frame similar to what A&G & Gypsy Queen do. I really wish that they would make the wood cards out of game used bat pieces at some point down the road. I think those pieces would mean a lot more to collectors.

As always, thanks everyone for reading, and for your positive comments - they make my birthday that much better. However, if you REALLY wanted me to have a good birthday, please note that I do accept visa and mastercard.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

You should definitely get Jose to sign that one.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Although partially done for humor, I could easily see Topps or UD doing something like that in a few years on their real product. It does take the game used bat card to a new level. Nicely done!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Michael S.

Happy Birthday Mouschi. As always, amazing work. I am anxiously awaiting the birth of my first child, so I can request your talents for a cool "set" I want to do.

Go enjoy some cake - Daddy Cakes - They are Jose's favorite!!!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...nch_main_video
Old 05-09-2015, 09:12 PM

lol great find thanks!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Mouschi, GREAT card!

Now, I have to ask, what was the process that you used to "print" on the card.

I like to do some woodworking, and have thought about transferring images to wood.

The one process that I have found, but have not yet tried myself, is to print a mirror image with an inkjet printer onto the backing sheet for a label, onto the glossy waxy like surface that remains when you've removed the labels. While still wet, press to the wood surface to transfer the ink in the correct, non-mirror, image.

In the past I have also used decals pages printed on to transfer an image onto ceramic tile as part of a plaque presented to a youth soccer club sponsor. The sponsor was a tile supply company and I wanted to do something unique to them.

Your process looks completely different from either of these though, so I'm curious.

If you would share, it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

And please keep sharing your creations!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:27 AM

Thanks! I tried the inkjet route and it didn't turn out well for me. Heck, it took me so, so, so many tries on this card to get it right. I printed it out and made a laser copy - put some gel medium on the wood, pressed down, waited 8 hours and used a moist cloth to slowly pull the paper away. Then I put on some spray laquer. The whole thing was maddening, but I've been wanting to do it for a while - I love how it came out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Mouschi, GREAT card!

Now, I have to ask, what was the process that you used to "print" on the card.

I like to do some woodworking, and have thought about transferring images to wood.

The one process that I have found, but have not yet tried myself, is to print a mirror image with an inkjet printer onto the backing sheet for a label, onto the glossy waxy like surface that remains when you've removed the labels. While still wet, press to the wood surface to transfer the ink in the correct, non-mirror, image.

In the past I have also used decals pages printed on to transfer an image onto ceramic tile as part of a plaque presented to a youth soccer club sponsor. The sponsor was a tile supply company and I wanted to do something unique to them.

Your process looks completely different from either of these though, so I'm curious.

If you would share, it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

And please keep sharing your creations!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Al Richter

Default The right bat for Jose

Old 05-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Alfredo

Like Ive told you on another site, your qork is impressive this bat card is truly sick!!!! keep it up!
Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Al Richter

Default Deep

This is a deep deep thought, right ?