NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Advice Needed...What to do with my T206s?

Hi All,

Been a long time since I've posted here but I'm back with a question that I need some practical advice on. It's been about 10 years since I stopped collecting my T206 set....getting married, having two kids and a mortgage will do that to the best of us. During my single years, I managed to piece together a pretty decent sized collection of about 250 cards, mostly graded, in the 2-4 range. A good number of HOFers and other desirables like southern leaguers and some rare backs. Here's the rub - I don't see myself getting back into collecting and we could use the money for so many different things. Am I better off breaking up my collection and selling individually, or selling the whole lot at once? I don't really have the time to sell them 1 by 1, but maybe sell them off in sub-groups? I don't know....any advice would be welcome.

Thanks so much,

Dave

Last edited by TunaT206; 05-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Alan Florjancic

This is from a buyer's perspective: I think selling them as lots can exclude some folks especially if they've already got say one or two cards in a lot they really want. I get that individually it's a pain to sell them, but you might get more in return.

How about consignment? There were a few folks looking for large t206 lots over on the B/S/T board, maybe someone like that if they aren't looking for an extreme bargain....
Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

T206s are pretty easy to move since there tends to be relatively little discrepancy between what buyers expect to pay and what sellers expect to receive. I'd try here on the T206 BST page first, but depending on how busy you are (i.e., how much time you have to deal with packaging, shipping, multiple customers, etc.) you might prefer to just consign the entire group to an auction house, especially if the cards are already slabbed.

I've been happy as a consignor with LotG and REA, though I haven't consigned a large lot of cards with either of them. I'm sure others are just as satisfied with some of the other AHs they've used.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Bobby Binder

Trying to put cards like the in REA or most major auction houses they would sell as a lot. If you want to get the most out of your sale then I suggest you consign it with PWCC.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Scott Russell

For the sake of information here's a little history. As someone who officially finished auctioneer's school today I think I can provide some perspective!

Realize that many, if not most, auction trends start with the big boys like Christie's and Sotheby's. There was a time when there was no such thing as a buyer's premium, many small general auction companies still don't charge one. But back when there was no such thing seller's commissions for the most part ran between 30 and 40 percent.

Price fixing scandal aside, competition for the best material made auction companies try and figure out a way to make themselves more attractive to potential consignors. They did this by lowering fees. However they couldn't just make less money so the Buyer's Premium was born.

That being said it was often not necessarily the dollar value of your item that determined the commission charged, though in effect that's what it looked like, it was the notoriety it could bring the auction. If a consignor had a couple of Picasso's, the auction company would indeed be tempted to give a sweet deal to that consignor knowing that it would bring eyes to their auction for the Chagall's etc... It's not because the Picasso is going to bring a high value, but rather it is going to bring bidders.

That has gotten slightly lost in the translation to the card world. Obvious items like the Wagner or a Baltimore Babe Ruth accomplish both notoriety and value, but more and more the scale has slid to value only in our industry.

Remember though, that commissions were originally 30 -40 percent. So if an auction house is hitting buyers for 20%, they are still looking for at least that extra 10%. Again on a truly epic item eating that extra money (or even giving up some of the 20%) is OK, but for a $1,000 item, with all the expenses the big houses have, it's just not reasonable to expect them to not only charge you nothing, but cut you in for a share of the Buyer's Premium.

There was a mediocre mystery novel I read a while back where one of the protagonists worked at an auction house in London. In it the character detailed that auction houses loved reselling the same item repeatedly, because they were the only ones who actually made a profit. Once they sold the item three times they had pocketed more than the item was worth. Well those days are gone, and that's a good thing, but unless you bring something truly special to the table a reasonable commission plus premium is anything under 30%. Ask me in a PM how much we charge!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:11 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

It will be more work for you to break it up and sell individually. However you should net more $$ doing it that way. It likely comes down to how valuable is your time. At the right prices you would do very well on the BST here I would think.

Tom C
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Brendan Mullen

BST here, no brainer. No fees and the target audience here is ideal to buy T206s. I'd love to see what you have.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM

For high dollar items, there is at least one auction house that will not only charge you no seller's premium, but give you half the buyer's premium. With ebay and consignors, it is absurd to give an AH 30%. Anymore than 20% is too much, just go the ebay route. Just shop around and give your business to one who is treating you fair.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

BST as one lot, reduce the price by $50 everyday until someone says I'll take it. You'll net the most that way with the least amount of trouble, there are a lot of individuals looking to buy several cards at one time for resale you'll mae out decently. Or break into 50 card lots based on desirability.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Kyle May

Take the HoFers, rare backs, etc., and sell those individually. Then take the commons and sell those as a lot or lots.

By the way, it's commendable of you to put your family first. Well done. All about perspective.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 05-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
BST here, no brainer. No fees and the target audience here is ideal to buy T206s. I'd love to see what you have.
+1

Take pics of them all. Post them and list individual prices for each. Base asking prices on recent eBay sales. It won't take that long to sell them all.

This is how I quickly dispatched with 50 T206s on a recent Sunday morning:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239379

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 05-23-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I agree in listing them as singles for sale. I'm also very interested in knowing what you actually have. Maybe you have some Polar Bears & Sovereigns I've been looking for.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM

"By the way, it's commendable of you to put your family first. Well done. All about perspective."

-1, baseball cards first.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Family always comes first......
To the OP- Good luck with the sale!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
"By the way, it's commendable of you to put your family first. Well done. All about perspective."

-1, baseball cards first.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

For your situation I think Sterling Auctions could be a good choice. He is taking consignments for his June 15 - June 29 currently. This could get you paid the quickest with the least amount of work.

http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com/
Old 05-27-2017, 07:30 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I agree in listing them as singles for sale. I'm also very interested in knowing what you actually have. Maybe you have some Polar Bears & Sovereigns I've been looking for.
+1

In my experience you can move a large number of T206 cards here on BST in a short amount of time with minimal effort if the cards are priced competitively relative to recent eBay sales. Without the fees.

Personally I'm hoping you have a PSA 3 Tris Speaker decently centered.

My suggestion is to post the "better" cards here on BST as singles. HOFers, uncommon commons, non piedmont/sweep cap backs, etc. You will bring in quick money that way. If you find the effort too much there are always people here willing to buy your remaining cards at a discount and sell them individually themselves.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Glyn Parson

Default If I were in your shoes

I'd consign to either lee, al, or pwcc.