NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Default Your discipline !

Posted By: Jason L

Just wondering what people might say to this, given that we have this great new site...

Assuming you collect both pre-war and postwar cards, are you more or less disciplined with your collecting focus in pre-war vs. post-war?

I am far less focused in my post-war collecting, probably because there are more issues to pick from, but also I think the cards can be cheaper, on average.
...That said, my most expensive card is post-war, so I guess I don't know what I am talking about!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Neal Kane

tends to shift all over the place. I mostly own post war, but I enjoy owning several pre war examples, and look to obtain a few choice others.

My favorite era of cards (and baseball actually) is the 50's.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Cards for me.........

Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

You are saying that you have been equally one-minded (HOFer RCs) on each side of the pre- and post-war fences?

I commend you for your focus!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

For buying purposes -- not that I am currently going out of my way to buy -- I am tending to focus more on pre-war. There are many issues that I'd like to type collect in the future.

Jason, if money dictates your discipline:
I am not surprised that a post-war card(s) would be your most expensive. I myself am surprised that some of my cards go for what they do. The right post-war card in wonderful condition can be valued high, and it's not always the HOFers either. Alot of my post-wars can get more than my middle condition pre-war HOFers. I was just looking at the Mile High auction results. My advice, locate a cache of 54 Bowman in PSA 8 and above and sell them to get some pre-wars, if that's your thing.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony

I work on sets from a few eras at any given time. It's the Davillilo strategy, if a set or era gets hot you focus on another one till it cools down. Saved me tons of money over the years.
All things being equal I go for the cards that come up less often. Keep a library of auction catalogs and after a while you can see what changes hands more often than other things, and jump on something that is rarely seen.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Yes, Jason. I do both sides, pre-war and post-war HOF RC's.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Jason,

My focus is very disciplined. I love my Cubbies and collect all the Topps and Topps updates sets with errors and variations for post war. For prewar, I collect T207 Cubs and E121 series of 120 Yankees and Elmer Miller cards only. I like to look at T207 and oj older sets, but have not collected them as recent. I also have an extra 1955 topps double header card and some extra 1959 topps cubs commons and a 1956 topps team card.

Ken

Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

My set spans all periods, including the present. I shift my thrust from era to era in an effort to maintain balance as I complete my objectives. Right now, I'm back in the 19th century primarilly.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

with post-war cards...as there are so many, I try and collect relatively fewer of them. With pre-war, I tend to move towards rarity and sometimes pick up some real beaters just to have one in my collection.

~ms

Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

More disciplined on pre-war. I would likely be very hesitent on starting a new pre-war set but pretty much any 50s or 60s set in any sport that I did not have that was in 8 or better I would buy.

Jim

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

When you can find stuff at five bucks or less in top condition, buying a dud just isn't a consideration that prevents you from going forward. I know I bought a bunch of high grade postwar at the National beause it was so darn cheap--yet I'd basically given up on actively collecting postwar. But when I am seeing mid-1970s Ryans in PSA 8 for $5 each, I gotta pull the trigger.

Edited to say: and in many cases, followed shortly thereafter by a cracking sound as the cards are shucked from their slabs and added to my raw sets...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

ADAM W

You bring out a great point......whether it's on ebay or at big BB card shows, there are some amazing bargains to be
gotten. For example, I used to work on 1949 Bowman's and I used to pay $40-50 for ExMt Hi#s. Nowadays, you can
get these same cards (graded) for as low as $10-15.

And, I wonder....why do these sellers waste their time and money to get these cards graded ?

The major market shift to pre-war stuff has to be really hurting the '50s - '70s card market in the Ex to ExMt category.

TED Z

Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

totally agree.
I picked up a handful of 1960s football a couple months back because it was cheap - and I don't even collect football cards!

no such thing as a bargain in pre-war anymore.
Nothing like pricing to challenge your discipline

Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

And the best part is finding cards from my childhood (the real one, not the current extended one) at ridiculously low prices and pack-fresh. I paid under $2 a card for raw hockey, football and basketball HOFers from the 1970s. And those cards were really nice and from sets that are notorious for print and centering flaws.