NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant collectors

Posted By: Mike H

Andy, Those are very nice pennants. I would date them to the late 40s early 50s. The condition looks superior and they are all desireable. Thanks for posting, and never ever question your collection. We want to see it all. Anytime you can add a story regarding how you found an item it is a big plus.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Andy: Those are terrific. Thanks for sharing... I agree that Mike is right on with the time frame- late 40s/early 50s. That NY Giants pennant is likely the rarest of the bunch, and is fairly seldom-seen. I have been chasing that one for a while. If you'd consider a sale or trade for that one, please just let me know... thanks!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy

Thanks for the feedback guys. Mark, yes, a trade would be fine with me. When I get to my office I can forward a wantlist. One thing though...what do you make of the red across "New?" From a distance, I always thought it was part of the pennant but when looking close, i'm not sure.

Here's a few more that were with them that even I didn't need help dating...I wish the tassles hadn't been cut on the Giant one.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Andy. I am interested in the 45 Tigers pennant if it is available for trade or sale.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to add my two cents about your comment regarding the missing tassels: It's been my experience that on vintage pennants, missing tassels aren't that big of a deal as far as negatively impacting the value. I've bought and sold quite a few pennants and have never had anyone ask me (nor have I asked) for a price adjustment because all of some of the tassels were missing. Sure, it's always nice when all four are present, but other than for simple aesthetics and personal preference, I wouldn't worry too much.

Again, just my opinion. I'd be curious to know what others think.

Good luck with the pennants,

Rob

Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

I will always pay more for tassels in tact. I just love the way they look and believe they are incomplete without.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. Mike, I almost went after that Cubs pin tonight. That's a fair price. I'll keep you in mind on the 45' pennant. Here's the last of what I have...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great stuff Andy....what else you got just laying around in the garage?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan,
There's a big box of 75' Kellogs 3D, about two hundred RC cans (Ralph Garr comes to mind), and an old Cheryl Ladd poster. In all honesty, there is quite a bit of misc memorabilia that somebody out there probably collects.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've always had a soft spot for the Kellogg's 3D cards....they remind me of Saturday mornings in the 1970s....Watching cartoons and opening up a brand new box of cereal just so I could stick my grubby little hands down to the bottom of the box to pull out the prize.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Agree.... the Kelloggs 3-D Cards were magical as a kid. I'll never forget pulling the Tony Perez Card in my first attempt.

Andy... just shoot me your want-list when you have a chance. I think the color shading is indeed original to your NYG Pennant. Not a very precise printing job, as it does bleed into the felt quite a bit. I still think its acceptable for this pennant, and am confident we can work a trade to your liking... Thanks! Mark imstroft@yahoo.com

Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Hi Mark,
I sent one to you today around 10am but from my office because my most current list is on that computer. It may not have gone through - I'll do it again in the A.M.
-A

Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Thanks Andy. I've been after that pin a while and placed a pretty hefty bid. I was very surprised (pleased) that it didn't go much higher. Yes, let me know about the pennant please. I'm conflicted because I'm more Cubs than Tiger's fan, but collect them both.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

mark,what is the earliest pennant for the baseball hall of fame? and is there a pennant for the 1939 baseball centennial? & thanks for posting those great pennants (and everyone else too),guys those are great!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Dennis:

That's a tough one.... In many many years of collecting pennants, I don't ever recall seeing a pennant specifically commemorating the 1939 HOF Ceremonies.

The "oldest looking" ones I have seen are 3/4 sized pennants with very detailed and beautiful graphics portraying the HOF Museum. My guess is that these are from the early to mid '40s.

Then they did all of those oversized versions with the numerous Players' head shots. I suppose these ones could be easily dated, based on who was represented (and the induction year of the most recent inductee portrayed).

Sorry for giving you such a non-specific answer. If you have any dated ones, or what you think to be a very early variation, please post it!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Dennis:

I was finally able to locate a pennant that commemorates the Baseball Centennial in 1939. Attached below is a picture. Please let me know if you are interested... due to scarcity, the price is $5,000.

ps. Not very convincing, I know. This is the "pennant" equivalent to what a few Ebay scammers are doing with vintage Ad Pieces, Broadsides, Fan for a Fan items, etc. One guy in particular is especially guilty of this.

A couple of those "repro" pennants have even made it into some of the major Catalog Auctions recently!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Ok, this pennant thread has put $15 at risk for me, by inspiring me to bid on pennants of which I have no knowledge.

This was auctioned as a first Expos pennant, pre-bleu, blanc, rouge and the stylized lettering. Is this right?

Yours from back in the summer of 1968....

Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Max:

That may the first Expos Pennant I have ever seen that is worthy of owning. Honestly, I've never seen that variation, or for that matter, ANY Expos Pennant besides that goofy tri-colored puffy "M" thing.

What size is that one? It looks like it may be 3/4 size or even a mini pennant??? Thanks for posting that one!