NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 AM
Mark Fox

Default Provenance for "Game Used" balls, quite speculative at best?

IMO its almost impossible to prove provenance on vintage "game used" baseballs, is it not? How can an auction house describe a vintage ball as being "game used" without provenance beyond the consignor simply stating that it was "game used". Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 10-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
IMO its almost impossible to prove provenance on vintage "game used" baseballs, is it not? How can an auction house describe a vintage ball as being "game used" without provenance beyond the consignor simply stating that it was "game used". Maybe I'm missing something?
Mark,
Interesting question!

Without a player, team or umpire writing a letter of provenance to accompany said ball it is a leap of faith. Occasionally a player will write info on the ball which provides the provenance. I believe that each item needs to be considered independently with regards to the likelihood of it actually being game used. I will say that many AH's use the term "game used" sparingly where others are very liberal with using this label. Without naming names, one AH currently has a bevy of "game balls" that, after looking at them carefully, I doubt the authenticity of many of them.

As you are probably aware, MLB now actually pulls items, balls, bases, equipment directly out of games and catalogues them along with holograms for authentication purposes. I personally do not collect these items, but many collectors do.

FWIW, when building my own collection of milestone game balls related to no-hitters and power pitching I have been very selective of which ones I pick up.
Very few make the cut...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HB Dutch Leonard no-hitter game ball August 30, 1916.jpg (37.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 19K game ball 8-12-74.jpg (28.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 19K game ball 1974-2.jpg (24.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 4th no-hitter game ball-1.jpg (73.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan 4th no-hitter game ball-2.jpg (74.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg Ryan photo.jpg (34.1 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-31-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

I only have one vintage game used ball and I only bought it because of the provenance. This is the final pitch from a June 15, 1926 game between the A's and the Indians for Rube Walberg's 15th career win. The baseball was accompanied by a letter from Walberg's daughter attesting to it's authenticity:

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Totally agree with Scott. Without a letter, each ball has to be judged differently -- does it pass the smell test? I usually feel pretty good about vintage writing on the ball.

Greg
www.baseballbasement.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foul balls A.jpg (72.5 KB, 206 views)
Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

This is mine. Is purported to be a foul ball hit by Gehrig in 1929. On most of these, no one can say for sure. Unless the owner catches the ball themselves, you can't know.
I also like vintage writing that is under shellac that appears aged. I don't think most people in the past were looking at these items to make money, so I "trust" that writing more.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Mikeknapp

I have posted this one before. Other then modern MLB authenticated balls this is the only game used ball currently in my collection. Although I feel confident about the provenance, I purchased it from "John" the gentleman who caught the ball and had it signed after the game, I don't believe anyone can be certain about such items.

Ironically a close friend of mine is the brother-in-law of Todd McFarlane who as you know purchased McGwire's #70 HR ball for 2.7 million. http://www.teako170.com/70th.html I asked my friend how McFarlane justified spending that kind of money especially in light of the steroid issue that has tarnished McGwire's accomplishment. He said that the ball was purchased for the publicity. He said the amount and value of free prime time network and print media advertising it brought to McFarlane's company far exceeded the amount of money spent on it. When the steroid scandal gained national attention the ball's and it's owner were in the news all over again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987 McGwire AL Rookie Record HR Ball.jpg (71.8 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by 71buc; 10-31-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One thing is that with the antique baseball and football 'trophy' balls (the painted up kind) were almost always game used balls. And besides, they have value whether or not the were actually game used. Much to most of their value is in their being quasi-trophies or presentation items. Even if a 1905 Yale Versus Harvard trophy ball turned out not to have been game used, it will still have significant value.

It comes down to what you pay and what you bought it as. If you buy a 'game used' team signed ball at the only the team signed value level and as a team signed ball, the game use or lack thereof is a relatively minor issue. It's only a signiricant issue if you double or triple what you pay due to the speculated game use. Or say you buy a modern baseball jersey and you don't know if it was game used or merely team issued. No big concern if you pay at the team issued pricing level. Obviously a pressing issue if you bought it at the game used pricing level.

It also depends how much you pay for speculation. There's a difference between adding a 10% premium to what you pay for an otherwise standard Houston Astros team signed ball because the unprovable story is it was used in a MLB game versus adding a 400% premium for the story.

Last edited by drcy; 10-31-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
K Farrell

FYI - the Mears auction ending tonight has dozens of "game used balls". They seem believable as they are pretty affordable. If a collector was going fabricate a story, I wouldn't think it would be "foul ball by Garry Maddox".

I am neither a conseignor or owner of Mears - but I found you can get great deals on a wide variety of memorabilia in Troy's auctions - almost like a flea market - this month is especially loaded.