NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2015, 04:34 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Ebay Search Head Scratcher!! Anyone have an idea on this?

Hi All:

I have a conundrum to ask you all about regarding the ebay search function.

I had previously had in my saved searches this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111660600773...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know this is not a pre war item, but it has bearing on all ebay searches in my mind.

I then did a new search for 1962 Post Cereal Football Cassady looking in ALL Categories and a few came up but NOT the one above!!

I then copied and pasted his actual title 1962 Post #46 Howard Cassady Lions LOOK!!!

into the search box and again it did not come up.

Then on the listing I clicked the sellers SEE OTHER ITEMS and nothing came up.

Finally, I clicked on the sellers feedback number and on the next page clicked on VIEW ITEMS FOR SALE and again NOTHING!

Yet, there it is in the link I provided above. Could it be just my computer???

BUT, if you plug in the ebay item number in the search box it does come up. How is this possible? Any clue? it makes one wonder what listings we could be missing.

The only POSSIBLE thing I can see is the listing states the seller is away until 8/28, but I can't see how this would have anything to do with the situation.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Eric Bea.chley

In order to provide buyers with the best service, ebay instituted an improvement to searches that may only bring up the best items you would want to peruse. So, not all searches pull up all items. Conversely, if you sell an item, not all potential buyers will see it.

It's for your own good.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Robert Williams

The only thing I can think of, at the top it says the "seller is away and not processing orders at this time". It is some kind of vacation setting. You got it to come up via item number, because you knew about it previously, but due to the fact he is on vacation, his items are hidden.

PS - I tried to buy the item, and it confirmed that my assumptions are correct. When the seller comes back from vacation, his items will show back up in searches.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 08-28-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:51 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Fred, were you by chance doing these failed searches on eBay Mobile?

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 08-28-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I just did it through my desktop (not mobile) and it failed for me too. I PROMISE - it has to do with him being away on vacation. Totally.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I only ask because I once had a similar frustrating failed search effort on my phone, walked into the next room, performed the exact same search on my desktop, and found the item on the first try.

Ever since, if I have to do a search from my phone, I at least scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "classic site" which seems to improve the search results. I still prefer to do searches from my desktop though, which seems to yield the most thorough results.

In any case, you never know if you're seeing ALL the matches, and incidents like this only reinforce that feeling.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I just did it through my desktop (not mobile) and it failed for me too. I PROMISE - it has to do with him being away on vacation. Totally.

I agree. I've had the same thing happen to me before, for the same reason.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't know about the search, but the good news is if you don't like that one for $8, dean has a similar card in what appears to be similar condition for only $55.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Hi Lance:

No I was not using ebay mobile.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Fair enough. Looks like the vacay alert was the culprit this time.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The only thing I can think of, at the top it says the "seller is away and not processing orders at this time". It is some kind of vacation setting. You got it to come up via item number, because you knew about it previously, but due to the fact he is on vacation, his items are hidden.

PS - I tried to buy the item, and it confirmed that my assumptions are correct. When the seller comes back from vacation, his items will show back up in searches.
Hi Robert:

Two things, I did mention in my OP that I noted where it said the seller was away, just did not know this would "hide" the items

and second, what you doing, trying to "steal" my item? :>)
Old 08-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I don't know about the search, but the good news is if you don't like that one for $8, dean has a similar card in what appears to be similar condition for only $55.
Hi Jesse:

Thanks for the heads up on the same card at Dean's. Don't know how I missed it. I'll jump right on it!! NOT!

How do these guys ever sell anything??
Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Dan Bretta

This is not new, I buy tons of stuff at tag sales, garage sales, auctions and flea markets and usually when I get home or back to my shop with the items I look them up to see what they sell for...many times an item will not show up on an ebay search so I'll try a google search and it will come up as an active ebay auction or BIN. Why they don't show up on ebay's own search is a mystery.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For various reasons ebay messes with their search codes and when they do it, it messes up a lot of saved searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi All:

I have a conundrum to ask you all about regarding the ebay search function.

I had previously had in my saved searches this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111660600773...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know this is not a pre war item, but it has bearing on all ebay searches in my mind.

I then did a new search for 1962 Post Cereal Football Cassady looking in ALL Categories and a few came up but NOT the one above!!

I then copied and pasted his actual title 1962 Post #46 Howard Cassady Lions LOOK!!!

into the search box and again it did not come up.

Then on the listing I clicked the sellers SEE OTHER ITEMS and nothing came up.

Finally, I clicked on the sellers feedback number and on the next page clicked on VIEW ITEMS FOR SALE and again NOTHING!

Yet, there it is in the link I provided above. Could it be just my computer???

BUT, if you plug in the ebay item number in the search box it does come up. How is this possible? Any clue? it makes one wonder what listings we could be missing.

The only POSSIBLE thing I can see is the listing states the seller is away until 8/28, but I can't see how this would have anything to do with the situation.