NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Tom

Default 1962 Topps checklist variations

I think I've stumbled across more variations in the 1962 Topps checklists. I've always known that Checklists 1,3,4,5,6 & 7 have two versions, and I have them all in my binder. But I've discovered three more noticeable differences in Checklists 2 & 3. Maybe these are already known & I'm just really late to the party, but just in case:

I've never seen #98 listed with a variation - which would make it the only checklist in the set without one. But after looking closely at mine, plus the pictures on the COMC site, I've discovered there are THREE versions of #98:
Version 1: the black drop shadow at the bottom is much thicker.
Version 2: thinner drop shadow than #1, and the top left border extends over the black drop shadow on the left; also, the bottom right white border is not complete
Version 3: thinner drop shadow than #1 (but identical to #2); the upper left white border does NOT extend over the black drop shadow on the left, and the bottom right white border is complete.

Next, I've discovered a second version of Checklist 3, card #192 - the "no comma" version:
1) the top left white border does not extend over the black border, and the bottom black border appears to be below & behind the white, and
2) the top left white border extends over the black border, and the bottom black border appears to be on top of the bottom white border (or based on your perspective, the bottom right border continues down in from of the black border instead of stopping.

Apologies if this has already been discovered & posted. I'm attaching a link with the side-by-side photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7663122136270/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/obctom...7663122136270/

Tom

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A lot of it has been discussed around these parts, but yeah, the 1962 checklists have a whole bunch of variations. This is mainly due to the woodgrain backgrounds which make a minimum of 3 or more variations for each checklist, because Topps didn't standardize those woodgrain setups on all the checklists.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Al Richter

Default Variants

Hey, Tom, welcome to the party. Thanks for the input. Will have to check my set now. I think I have at least two versions of all the 62 CLs, but not sure about 3

I had only 2 of CL 3, am missing the one on far right of your scan.

On CL2 , here are my 3. There is a noticeable difference on the print size and darkness on one of them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-19-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:33 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's a quick look at checklist #192. The three have different woodgrain setups. The first card (with comma) and the second card have what is seemingly the same woodgrain pattern, but under further scrutiny you can see that it is situated differently on each. The third card has a pattern nothing like the other two.

1962checklist192.jpg

Here's the comma vs. the non-comma differences. Watch the woodgrain area (especially the dark 'F' shape in the upper left) and see how the actual checklist itself shifts drastically up to the right. Since they don't share the exact same woodgrain setup, my conclusion has always been that the checklist with the comma was never actually 'corrected.' (It's important to note here that the reason this is relevant is because the straight, white top of the checklist card always aligns perfectly with the 'top' of the picture on the card next to it, so this 'proves' the comma wasn't simply eliminated in further printings. The card stands on its own.) It seems that they probably had checklist #192 represented a number of times on the print sheets and they noticed that one (some?) of them had the problematic comma showing, but it was too late and they never went back to correct the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 01-19-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Tags
1962 topps, checklists, variations, woodies