NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2015, 05:36 PM

Default Am I Missing Something Here?

This is slightly newer, but it's PSA and I'm sure applies to older stuff as well. Does this really say on the slab what this pass could have been used for? It's basically just naming things that happened in the AL in 1969, so they literally could have picked anything? From the sound of it, this pass may have never been used, but who knows. If that's correct, that is really strange and a little misleading for people looking for items from a certain game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Carlton...item3a8f692446
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-31-2015, 05:41 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I believe for these you get to specify what you want them to say. So I could have an al league pass 1969 that says Denny McClain picked his nose.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:51 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Default Mark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
This is slightly newer, but it's PSA and I'm sure applies to older stuff as well. Does this really say on the slab what this pass could have been used for? It's basically just naming things that happened in the AL in 1969, so they literally could have picked anything? From the sound of it, this pass may have never been used, but who knows. If that's correct, that is really strange and a little misleading for people looking for items from a certain game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Carlton...item3a8f692446
It's a season pass for Angelo Giuliani, who was a well-known player scout for the Twins. I can't speak to its authenticity, but Giuliani attended games throughout the league, evaluating players, possibly doing advance scouting, and so on. So, theoretically he could've used it to see Fisk's and Munson's first base hits, or Denny Mclain picking his nose, or any other AL game in 1969.

But... this isn't an actual ticket to any specific game and I don't see how the value would be affected at all, had Giuliani been at any of those events.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:14 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

z, I think your initial reaction is pretty spot-on all around. I've never been a fan of these slabbed all-inclusive passes with the choose-your-own-adventure flips. To me, they cheapen the actual surviving tickets to those games.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Just making sure I wasn't jumping to conclusions here. That is beyond ridiculous that you could just pick whatever you want and put it on the slab. As was said, it cheapens the actual items for those games. I was looking for anything from Carlton Fisk from 1969 and was surprised to see there were two "tickets" to his first game, only to find out they were both A.L. passes
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-01-2015, 03:26 AM
Mikeknapp

I suppose the relevance and value of these passes is dependent upon each collector’s taste. However, I do believe the example you provided is ridiculously priced. I added a 1971 NL pass to my collection for $75. As you can tell by my user ID the 1971 Pirates have a special meaning to me. I have considered having my 1971 NL pass slabbed. This would be first for me. I would likely have the slip state “Valid for 1971 Pirates NL Champions 97-65”.

I also have a 1971 Pirates season ticket holder pass for all of the games played at Three Rivers. Its rarity is purely speculative; however, it is the only one I have ever come across. It is in near mint condition as none of the games have been punched. So it can be safely said it was never used to see any game that season. Oddly enough for some collectors that distinction serves to make it more valuable.

I agree with your statement, “From the sound of it, this pass may have never been used, but who knows. If that's correct, that is really strange and a little misleading for people looking for items from a certain game”. However, if you could find an unused ticket to Fisk’s first game it would cost you much more than a stub which was actually at the game. If given the choice would you pay more for an unused Fisk debut full ticket even though it had “never been used”? If so you are collecting it for the rarity not necessarily the history. Even though I already own unused full 1971 Pirates opening day ticket I recently purchased an opening day stub because I couldn’t answer that question myself.

If you look at the picture I posted below you can see that these passes were looked upon as tickets, passes, and licenses by Major League baseball. Although my 1972 Pirates Three Rivers pass was used very often as evidenced by the number of punches surrounding it’s boarders, I have no way of truly knowing if it was there on Sept 30th. PSA has slabbed 4 of these as valid for Clemente’s 3000th hit. Conversely they have slabbed 14 stubs for that date. I understand the merit of the PSA population reports is questionable; however, it’s odd that there have been three times as many stubs slabbed in comparison to the passes. There is an online seller http://www.chicagotix.com/Baseball.shtml who has advertised two stubs to that game and is asking $1,950 each or $3,795 for the pair. Ironically he also has a 1972 Pirates Three Rivers pass that he is asking $6500 for because it is in mint unused condition. I doubt he will ever sell any of these items at those prices but it does reflect his assessment of the value and rarity of an unused pass...go figure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _Clemente_3000_PSA9_verso_2[1].jpg (56.0 KB, 140 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 AM

ChicagoTix.com (Dennis Jose) is a putz. Don't get me started...
Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post

I agree with your statement, “From the sound of it, this pass may have never been used, but who knows. If that's correct, that is really strange and a little misleading for people looking for items from a certain game”. However, if you could find an unused ticket to Fisk’s first game it would cost you much more than a stub which was actually at the game. If given the choice would you pay more for an unused Fisk debut full ticket even though it had “never been used”? If so you are collecting it for the rarity not necessarily the history. Even though I already own unused full 1971 Pirates opening day ticket I recently purchased an opening day stub because I couldn’t answer that question myself.
That's a good question and one I never really thought about. I always save my game used tickets for every game I go to, but for games I haven't been to, I'd probably rather have an unused ticket for looks. Just like with the pass, it doesn't necessarily mean an unused ticket wasn't there. It's possible someone didn't show up, so someone went with an extra ticket. I know I have a couple pairs of tickets that a full stubs, but they were at games. Once we upgraded seats, once I was handed two tickets to a game by a stranger as I was walking in and already had tickets.

I forget how many tickets I bought at the time, but I used to have season tickets for the Pirates and for Andrew McCutchen's first game, I have 8-9 extra unused tickets. With the way he is playing, it looks like a great investment(I also did the same for Sean Burnett and Pedro Alvarez so it should only even out). Got the cheapest seats, got a STH discount, so they were like $6-7 each and I kept them in great condition with the idea of selling some down the line, which probably won't happen anytime soon since I figured right after he won the MVP would have been a good time to try to sell.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:52 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
(I also did the same for Sean Burnett and Pedro Alvarez so it should only even out)
Now that is funny.

I do not live in Pittsburgh but am a huge Pirates fan. My sister lived in Pitt and I helped her move. While there I was so excited to take in a Pirates game, as it was (if I remember correctly) the major league debut of their top prospect of whom great things were expected.

I was so excited I saved the ticket.

The prospect was Midre Cummings.

Oh well.

Tom C