NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Dave Fa*st

Default Postcard writing......

What are folks opinions on postcards that have writing? Would you pay less for a Rose Company or Novelty Cutlery because it's been postally used?

And I haven't noticed an example as of yet, but are the grading companies just grading used postcards as AUTH or downgrading them in some fashion?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

What are folks opinions on postcards that have writing? Would you pay less for a Rose Company or Novelty Cutlery because it's been postally used?

As long as it doesn't impact the front, writing or the fact that a PC is postally used doesn't bother me a bit.

And I haven't noticed an example as of yet, but are the grading companies just grading used postcards as AUTH or downgrading them in some fashion?

Postcards that are postally used get absolutely hammered by TPGs, though an "A" grade isn't automatic. I actually like the fact that a PC with writing or a used stamp will receive a low grade.

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-16-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Vintage postmarks, stamps and writing add charm to pc's. Sadly, I haven't scored higher than SGC 20 because of it.

IMO, these "flaws" should be disregarded. Unmailed examples are so white-bread.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Post Office stamp

If I collected postcards I would put me in the postally used camp, with no damage to the front, of course .
Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Bob Pomilla

Being postally used, adds a bit of history and character, to the card. Prefer it, myself.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

I prefer unused examples myself. However, I do find postally used postcards charming when they are talking about a game or the player on the card. I have put together a 1907 Dietsche set and have been thinking about trying to put together a postally used set in which each one talks about the 1907 World Series.

Also, postally used cards can help date a set with a fair degree of accuracy.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Postally Used

It is a plus if the postcard is postally used. A card with a baseball related message is a real plus!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmohler View Post
Also, postally used cards can help date a set with a fair degree of accuracy.
That's a great point and reminded me of something. About a year or so ago a postcard dealer contacted me via e-mail about an early 1900s postcard that I previously had not seen. The fact it was used and had a dated postmark eased any fears I would have had about the PC not being legit.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
That's a great point and reminded me of something. About a year or so ago a postcard dealer contacted me via e-mail about an early 1900s postcard that I previously had not seen. The fact it was used and had a dated postmark eased any fears I would have had about the PC not being legit.

Good point...I wasn't even thinking on terms of taking away doubts of the pc being original or not.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
JeR@Me

Default Re : Postcard Writing...

I prefer the writing to a clean example. Also, if the pc has something significant or presents some detail of that moment in time, then it does not get any better for me. Like this example : In 1908 there was 1 game that decided the Southern League championship on the last day of the season between New Orleans and Nashville. Pitcher, Ted Breitenstein, (T206) was on the hill for N.O. vs a Rookie pitcher for Nashville and this game was a pitcher's duel to the end as the final score in Nashville was Vols 1 Pelicans 0. (Both pitchers were brilliant and went the distance) Some Southern League historians consider this one of the greatest games ever played in the Southern League... Anywho, long story short - This PC is sent from a guy in Nashville to his friend in New Orleans and it appears he is rubbing it in about Nashville beating New Orleans as he refers to "Breit" being rotten and Nashville "fixing" New Orleans.... This PC is of the Champion Nashville Vols and it is postmarked 2 days after the championship. (Also there is a neat confectionary stamp on the front and the 2 guys names are priceless : B.F. Kats & Totsy) Take a look :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PostCard-Nashville-Rev.jpg (74.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg PostCard-Nashville.jpg (82.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

Some of the text on the Cobb postcard below relates to the 1909 World Series. It reads, in part: Detroit - Oct. 15 - 09 Your letter was forwarded me here. Came down yesterday for the Tigers & Pittsburgh game. Great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstset.jpg (77.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Dan Bretta

I am also in the camp that prefer the card to have been postally used.

This is one of my favorites...it's actually written by the man pictured on the postcard (Dan Tobey) and sent to Honus Wagner's brother trying to get him to join the Nebraska Indians. The writing is on the front because at the time this card was sent it was still illegal to write anything other than the address on the reverse side of a postcard.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I love vintage PCs with vintage writing and postmarks, especially if the PC is tied to an event and the writing reflects it. It adds a great deal of charm and authenticity to the piece. For example, I have a number of PCs from 1910 related to the Johnson-Jeffries heavyweight title fight that have postmarks from Reno around fight time that report observations about what was going on that week in Reno or at the fight. One I have from the Jeffries training camp that whines about the admission fee he was hitting up all visitors for. Another I have was used as a reply card for an autograph by Jake La Motta in the early 1950s.

I guess they'd be fair at best.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Chris Buckler

I have been more into postcards the past few years than anything else. While I do like unmarked postcards and would probably pay more for one due to most are marked in some way. I still prefer used postcards for my collection. Myself, like many of the people I show my postcards to, immediately turn the card over to read the reverse and look at the stamp. I personally really like dated postcards with the same postal stamp year date. I can't seem to find a 1909 Dietsche Cobb anywhere, used or unused, I've yet to see one but have been told they exist.

Chris

Last edited by chris; 12-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.