NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM
bobby

Default PSA 10s

Ricky Henderson PSA 10 bids are at $24,000?. Hunt auctions for that card.
I couldn't get $200 for mine. guess those buyers never heard of e bay.

should have looked on e bay before I said this.
guess I need to send some cards off to get graded?. really haven't been paying much attention to cards for awhile when I closed the store couldn't give them away.

can anyone give me some info on what kind of discounts can I get on grading?. $30 bucks a card adds up fast.

Last edited by minibatsman; 09-12-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibatsman View Post
Ricky Henderson PSA 10 bids are at $24,000?. Hunt auctions for that card.
I couldn't get $200 for mine. guess those buyers never heard of e bay.

should have looked on e bay before I said this.
guess I need to send some cards off to get graded?. really haven't been paying much attention to cards for awhile when I closed the store couldn't give them away.

can anyone give me some info on what kind of discounts can I get on grading?. $30 bucks a card adds up fast.
So you have a PSA 10 Ricky Henderson or a raw card you think will grade a PSA 10? I ask because there is a very very big difference between the 2.

If you jion PSA's club you get discounts on submissions. You can also piggyback on someone elses submission. I have done that before and am in on one now.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:49 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.psacard.com/specials/

Join the PSA Collector's Club for $199, and it comes with 15 free grades on cards valued up to $250 or 500.
Then you are eligible to use the bulk specials on the linked page.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:19 AM
bobby

Default 70s and 80s cards

in 2002 I sold a PSA 10 Henderson rc for under $200. no I don't have one? from 1989 to 2003. I opened a card shop in the front of my office. just because I could. it never made any money I gave away more cards to kids than I sold. the one thing I did do a lot off was buy and open wax boxes.
cards like Henderson, Brett, Ripken, Montana and many other rcs that I do have multiples off. that i put straight from the pack to a holder. over the past 10 years i would have and did say to anyone that knows about the uncountable cards i have. that they are not worth what you think they are.
i don't have one but a month ago i seen a Rose rc selling for $150,000? even then i had no idea Henderson was $125,000 didn't even think of looking.
maybe with some grading luck that i have never had i do have a lot of pack fresh cards from the 70s and 80s that might be worth investing a couple bucks in grading fees. and with some grading luck maybe i got a $100,000 dollar card?.
when I closed the store as many of you might remember Tuff Stuff magazine had a deal for 3 cards from BCCGS $10 bucks each. I sent a lot of cards off I never got a 10. I bought some. $200 for a high grade Ripken rc. was a good sale. I did get $750.00 for a 9.5 A.Rod die cut on e bay one of only a handful graded that high. hundred thousand maybe a mantle rc. I didn't have one still don't. Ricky who just saying they didn't sell.
I now how hard it is to get a 10 when I had the store I told people you want a ten buy one .

Last edited by minibatsman; 09-13-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Bill Gregory

The market for vintage baseball cards in 2002 was completely different than it is today. The blue chip cards ('55 Topps Clemente, '52 Topps Mantle, '54 Topps Aaron, '51 Bowman Mays, to name a few) have seen their selling prices skyrocket.

I know it sucks to see a card you had selling for an astronomical amount, but every man that has collected cards seriously has witnessed something similar. "I couldn't get xx for xx card in xx, but now it's selling for xx". Or, "I should have bought xx in xx when it was selling for xx."

And Rickey Henderson, in 2002, was still playing. Today, he's retired, and a Hall of Famer. I would also expect that PSA's grading standards are much more stringent today.

Lots of factors go into what you're seeing.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:31 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
The market for vintage baseball cards in 2002 was completely different than it is today. The blue chip cards ('55 Topps Clemente, '52 Topps Mantle, '54 Topps Aaron, '51 Bowman Mays, to name a few) have seen their selling prices skyrocket.

I know it sucks to see a card you had selling for an astronomical amount, but every man that has collected cards seriously has witnessed something similar. "I couldn't get xx for xx card in xx, but now it's selling for xx". Or, "I should have bought xx in xx when it was selling for xx."

And Rickey Henderson, in 2002, was still playing. Today, he's retired, and a Hall of Famer. I would also expect that PSA's grading standards are much more stringent today.

Lots of factors go into what you're seeing.
back in the mid-1980s I had a 1954 Aaron, Mays and one of the Williams cards (probably in 2016-speak PSA 4-5's) that I
traded to a dealer at a card show for these 7 1948 Leafs plus a few commons (NO SPs)....

sure, they're not all beautiful (the Spahn has tape residue at corners on back as well as the corner clip) but to this day, I'm
still happy I made the trade, as I still have them today - and RAW.

never chased the set/never will, and the desire to upgrade just isn't there, and I'm happy they're still here!

while there's plenty of stuff I sold or traded back in the day, I had a few of each of the above 54 Topps when I made the deal.

I absolutely agree, Bill - and others - that we've all played the "shoulda/coulda/woulda" hindsight game at some point or another
and more than likely will continue to do so as we see the prices skyrocket, but...

DS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948Leaf.jpg (79.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
sure, they're not all beautiful
They look pretty awesome to me!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

yeah nice cards!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibatsman View Post
in 2002 I sold a PSA 10 Henderson rc for under $200.
The oldest SMR I could quickly put my hands on was 2005. Henderson rookie was listed at $7,000. I'm sure I have a 2002 issue around somewhere, but the Henderson in 10 was always a pretty big deal and I know I would've gladly shelled out a lot more than $200 for one in 2002.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Bill Gregory

Oh, yes they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
sure, they're not all beautiful

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:58 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Oh, yes they are.
thanks, Bill (and others) - while the cards DO have their individual faults, my "they're not all beautiful" was in regards to the "PSA 10s" title of the thread - I'm more than happy with all/each of them, but wanted to stay as on topic as possible with the OP's theme.

DS
Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Rob Anderson

As someone putting the 1980 set together in PSA 10 (about 40%), this makes me sad. I don't have $35,000 for one card. I have about 10 of them in 9's, and 4 of them I can't see anything wrong. I hate the crack and resub game. But for $35,000, I guess I can do it.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Bill Gregory

It's not worth it, Rob. If you're looking for the very best eye appeal humanly possible, a PSA 9 is more than good enough.

I think the whole registry game is ridiculous. It's a bunch of people showing off how much money they've spent. Because if you need an electron microscope to find a flaw in a PSA 9 that makes it inferior to a 10, you're doing it wrong. At that point, it becomes a registry score, and bragging rights are more important than the cards themselves.

I'm building the 1975 Topps set in a PSA 8, and I'm completely happy with what I've got thus far. I look at a card like this...

and I'm tickled pink. If one of the corners has the tiniest hint of white, or if the centering left to right is only 52/48....who cares? I could warp back to 1975, and open 1,000 packs trying to find this same card in that identical condition.

I'm very happy to have what I do. It's just not worth obsessing over, to me.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 PM
bobby

Default i agree with everyone

would should could I agree with all of yall. if it wasn't for the 6 figure difference? I would trade a 10 Ricky for your 48s today nice cards. when I closed the store I really couldn't give them away. I did continue to pick up mainly older commons and have got major head aches digging through them in the past week. I had no idea the higher graded cards were going for so much. I got a box of graded 8 n 9s and some 10s Griffey, Favre, Smith. a Brett 9 rc. with others selling 30 of them on e bay I will just keep it. I am going to join PSA I got some 50 through 70s cards that I think are worth grading? never had much luck with grading. all this said I do feel better about the cards I do have than I have in years. I have always tried to build sets with little interest in graded cards. don't miss understand me I do like graded cards. I did find quite a few cards that given some time I could if anyone is interested be willing to do some trading to complete raw sets?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 AM
Rob Anderson

Quote:
It's not worth it, Rob. If you're looking for the very best eye appeal humanly possible, a PSA 9 is more than good enough.

I think the whole registry game is ridiculous. It's a bunch of people showing off how much money they've spent. Because if you need an electron microscope to find a flaw in a PSA 9 that makes it inferior to a 10, you're doing it wrong. At that point, it becomes a registry score, and bragging rights are more important than the cards themselves.

I'm building the 1975 Topps set in a PSA 8, and I'm completely happy with what I've got thus far. I look at a card like this...

and I'm tickled pink. If one of the corners has the tiniest hint of white, or if the centering left to right is only 52/48....who cares? I could warp back to 1975, and open 1,000 packs trying to find this same card in that identical condition.

I'm very happy to have what I do. It's just not worth obsessing over, to me.
It may be about the score, but I guess I like the competition. I also have the 1997, and the 1999 sets almost finished. Those are the years my kids were born. I hope they like them when they are done.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:02 PM
bobby

Default sets

birthday sets I like that grading all those cards wow or searching the net for them sounds like a full time job. however you get it done good for you. I was going to send a 50 card set of 1925 cars off to be graded. PSA has never graded a single one of them. I guess I would make the registry? for a set that nobody really cares about. I am going to get it framed and matted it will look pretty nice on my wall. I was told 1925 nz ? I cant find them .
I got 39 boxing, plains, ships and train sets going to do every one the same way.
take them out of boxes and books and enjoy them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment[1].jpg (73.5 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by minibatsman; 09-23-2016 at 08:25 PM.