NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default boxing ticket experts

Posted By: George Dreher

This is a very tough question. I have a ticket to the Dempsey-Gibbons fight in beautiful condition, but am not 100% sure it is unused. If I am correct in my understanding, a used ticket to this particular fight would have been exposed to a special light at the ticket gate which would make the word "Counterfeit" appear on the back. The word "Counterfeit" is not visible on the back of this ticket. Also, from what I have read, only the ringside seats to this fight had a stub attached to the main ticket. The remainder of the tickets only consisted of the main section with the "playing card" reverse (that has the hidden "counterfeit" word camouflaged).
I want to scan this ticket for the forum, but if any light from the scanner inadvertently reflects through to the back of this ticket, I fear it will make the word "counterfeit" become visible, severely devaluing the ticket.
Can anyone correct me if I am wrong on any of the above points? Thanks!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

George,

any Photos or scans of the ticket?

there should be designs and copy rights on the back

if the ticket is black on the back, you may not have an original ticket

Jimmy

Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Jimmy, it's an original ticket, no doubt, and in amazing condition. The problem being, if I scan it, the scanner light may permeate causing the word "counterfeit" to be permanently displayed on the back, ruining the value. I could snap a photo of it with no flash, but my digital camera doesn't present decent images of flat items because I can't zoom close enough without blurring the image. If I use the flash, it may permeate right through to the back and cause the "counterfeit" to show for all eternity?
I was hoping that a boxing research expert or author on boxing collectibles might respond directly to my original question, but they probably don't read this forum. I have a bit of knowledge on these things, but not enough to validate that this is a full ticket or how the ticket takers dealt with this ticket in Montana before the fight started (hole punching?, cancellation stamping?, flashing the reverse with light? etc).
I doubt if there is a finer example of this ticket in existence than the one sitting here in front of me.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

George,

you may want to contact

http://www.josportsinc.com/

they know a lot about boxing items, your questions may be hard to answer without knowing someone that went to fights back then. very interesting

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've never heard of it before and I don't know of any technology that old for that purpose. The fight in question took place in the boonies; I doubt that they had multiple devices in hand to scan tickets and they certainly didn't have modern laser or blacklight wands.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Here are the only details I could find about the ticket in question:

Complete Guide To Boxing Collectibles:

pg. 18 Fought before only 7,202 spectators, the lowest in Dempsey's championship career

pg. 240 The word "counterfeit" appears in the design (on the back) once the ticket has been photographed.

pg. 374 The ticket was designed to be counterfeit proof and the word "counterfeit" will appear in bold letters if the ticket is photographed from the back, as the word is hidden in multicolor (blue & yellow) engraved patterns.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Hi George -

Is that info from Mark Allen Baker's (SCD) guide ? Great book !!!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Yes Alan, it is that very book.