NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Scott R.

Default Ruth auto on Ebay - Opinions??

Here's a Ruth auto on ebay that looks pretty good to my untrained eye...though the story sounds a bit fishy. I submitted a request to PSA for a "quick opinion"...still waiting to hear back.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121077937301...torefresh=true
Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Scott R.

Disregard...just got my response from PSA (fastest turn around time I've had with them). Came back as "likely not geniune". I'll keep searching...

Last edited by Westsiders; 03-08-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

That finally explains all the Babe Ruth forgeries available - the forgers were simply competing in an autograph contest.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Default JimStinson

The story is very plausible , "Waterman's" was a contest for kids the company used the contest to promote their pens , I think the winners got a free pen or something.

For many youngsters back then it was their first introduction to autograph collecting. I've bought quite a few of those books over the years and while they may have occasionally had a secretarial autograph or two for the most part they are almost always good.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM

Default JimStinson

I don't know who the seller is but I looked at the other autographs from the "Waterman's" book that he has listed including Calvin Coolidge, Orville Wright, George Eastman, Will Rogers etc. and they are all spot on , So the story seems to add up fine. Curious to me how the "likely not genuine" was rendered so casually if that was indeed the case.

Also in the 1930's and toward the end of his career Babe Ruth would pre-sign blank cards , like business cards but blank. And send them through the mail or even hand them out in person. The date of the Waterman's letter 1932 fits this time frame perfectly and the e-bay offered Ruth looks like one of those. Have attached a scan here for comparison of a genuine Ruth from the same era.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Thank you for giving this answer Jim. I was going to write a long reply when I returned home and you saved me the trouble. I am also familiar with the Waterman's books and have seen quite a few for sale over the years. The best ones were crammed with additional letters and photos. I also looked at all of the others and was comfortable with the Alfred E. Smith and Calvin Coolidge.

Last edited by Michael B; 03-08-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Scott R.

With my layman's eye, this auto looks great. I was actually very suprised that it came back with a "likely not genuine"....not to mention how fast the opinion was rendered. Thought I may have been missing something obviously wrong with the auto.

As much as I like it, just don't know if I have the balls to go against the quick opinion.