NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default IBHOF Class of 2018

IBHOF write-ups below.

Vitali Klitschko

Winner of 195 out of 210 amateur bouts, the 6-foot-7 Klitschko turned pro in 1996 in Germany and scored 27 consecutive knockouts. He reigned twice as EBU heavyweight champion (1998-99, 2000) and in 1999 he won the WBO title. Following two defenses he was ahead on all scorecards until a torn rotator cuff led to a 9th round TKO loss to Chris Byrd in 2000. He rebounded, including wins over Orlin Norris (KO 1), Ross Puritty (TKO 11) and Larry Donald (TKO 10) before meeting Lennox Lewis for the WBC title in 2003. Ahead on all scorecards, the bout was stopped in the 6th round due to cuts on Klitschko’s eyes. Lewis retired and Klitschko stopped Corrie Sanders in 2004 for the vacant WBC strap (TKO 8). After one defense, he retired in 2005 but returned to reclaim the title in 2008 with an 8th round TKO over Samuel Peter. An impressive string of nine defenses followed including stoppage wins over Juan Carlos Gomez (TKO 9), Chris Arreola (TKO 10), Shannon Briggs (W 12), Tomasz Adamek (TKO 10) and Dereck Chisora (W 12) before retiring in 2012 following a 4th round TKO win over Manuel Charr. “Dr. Ironfist,” who has a Ph.D. in Sports Science, posted a record of 45-2 (41 KOs) and an 87.23 knockout percentage. Active in politics, Klitschko was elected mayor of Kiev, Ukraine in 2014.

Erik Morales:

Morales followed his father’s footsteps into the boxing ring and turned pro in 1993. He won the NABF super bantamweight title before stopping Daniel Zaragoza (KO 11) for the WBC 122-pound title in 1997. “El Terrible” registered nine successful defenses including wins over Junior Jones (TKO 4), Wayne McCullough (W 12) and Marco Antonio Barrera (W 12). He became a two-division champion with a 12-round win over Guty Espadas Jr. (W 12) for the WBC featherweight title in 2001. He lost the title to Barrera (L 12) in 2002 but reclaimed the vacant laurel from Paulie Ayala (W 12) when Barrera refused the belt. He added a third divisional title in 2004 with a pair of 12-round decisions over Jesus Chavez for the WBC super featherweight strap and Carlos Hernandez for the IBF belt. Morales met his rival Barrera in a rubber match (L 12) before defeating Manny Pacquiao in 2005 (W 12). He met Pacquiao twice more in 2006 (TKO by 10, KO by 3). In 2011 he defeated Pablo Cano for the WBC light welterweight title to become the first Mexican boxer to win titles in four weight divisions. After back-to-back losses to Danny Garcia (L 12, KO by 4), Morales retired in 2012 with a pro ledger of 52-9 (36 KOs).

Winky Wright:

Following an accomplished 52-4 amateur career, Wright turned professional in 1990. The 5’10 ½” southpaw utilized a piston-like right jab and tremendous all-around skill set to capture the NABF light middleweight title twice (1995-96, 2000) and four world 154-pound title belts. He captured the WBO light middleweight title in 1996 with a 12-round win over Bronco McKart and reigned until 1998, successfully defending three times. After winning the vacant IBF strap in 2001 from Robert Frazier (W 12), he unified with a win over WBA/WBC champion “Sugar” Shane Mosley (W 12) in 2004. Stripped of the IBF belt after the bout, he defended the WBA/WBC laurels with a 12th round win over Mosley in the rematch. Wright next vacated the titles in 2005 to compete at middleweight and scored wins over Sam Soliman (W 12) and Hall of Famer Felix “Tito” Trinidad (W 12) before drawing with WBC/WBO 160-pound champion Jermain Taylor. A 12-round decision win over Ike Quartey in 2006 followed before retiring in 2012 after decision losses to Bernard Hopkins, Paul Williams and Peter Quillin. Wright’s professional record stands at 51-6-1 (25 KOs).

Sid Terris:

An undefeated amateur star (50-0), in 1922 he won the New York State, New York City, National and International amateur lightweight championships within a 10-month period. He was also the 1922 National AAU bantamweight champion. Terris joined the paid ranks the same year and over the next nine years met and beat top fighters of his era and became a standout gate attraction. Among those he defeated include Jimmy Goodrich (W 12), Ace Hudkins (W 10) and Hall of Famers Sammy Mandell (W 10), Billy Petrolle (W 10), Rocky Kansas (W DQ 5) and Johnny Dundee (W 12). On June 15, 1927, he met his life-long friend and fellow East Side boxing star Ruby Goldstein at the Polo Grounds. Terris got off the canvas to score a first round knockout of his friendly foe. Although a championship bout eluded him, his combination of uncanny foot and hand speed, lightning quick left jab and tremendous ring intellect, cemented his reputation as one of the sports top lightweight practitioners. The 5’ 7” pugilist retired in 1931 with a pro docket of 92-13-5 (12 KOs).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-08-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Dave

Solid group. I like all those picks on the boxer side.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Peter

MAB-Morales trilogy was legendary. The Winky Wright paragraph brought back some great memories of the battles going on around 154 and 160 back in first decade of 2000s.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Nice class , like the variety this year, also good to see Steve Albert and me personally like Jim gray , never afraid to ask those tough questions that we all want to ask fighters after fights , I always wanted to go to Canastota to visit the HOF and festivities of induction time.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Interesting bit of card trivia: despite being active during the Brown's card era of 1990-2002, which included Brown's sets nearly every year, the 1991 year of Ringside-Kayo-AW, the 1996 Ringside set year, and the 2008 Topps Cosigners issue, Winky's RC and only active career card is the 2011 Ringside. He wasn't in any of the other sets.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-13-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Interesting bit of card trivia: despite being active during the Brown's card era of 1990-2002, which included Brown's sets nearly every year, the 1991 year of Ringside-Kayo-AW, the 1996 Ringside set year, and the 2008 Topps Cosigners issue, Winky's RC and only active career card is the 2011 Ringside. He wasn't in any of the other sets.

A bit obscure, but I have these two Winky's issued around 2005 in the Ukraine by "Neptun Gum". They are little stickers with a backing and they were wrapped around pieces of gum, Bazooka Joe style.

Picked up a couple of boxes overseas way back then and opened them up, but have never seen them surface again.

The second one shows Winky's beatdown of Trinidad.

They are a bit nicer in hand. These are older scans and I remember them being really tough to get a good scan of.

Here's the gum box they came in:

From what I can tell, most of the guys pictured on the gum box, are not actually in this set.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's fun! Definitely one of the weirder ones I've seen, though I do have a Turkish Ali Derya Chewing Gum card:

Want to part with a specimen as a type, LMK.

I'm not surprised the innards don't match the advertising. Not unusual with Eastern European consumer items.

Or not...
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That's fun! Definitely one of the weirder ones I've seen, though I do have a Turkish Ali Derya Chewing Gum card:

Want to part with a specimen as a type, LMK.

I'm not surprised the innards don't match the advertising. Not unusual with Eastern European consumer items.
PM Sent