NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Scanner

I went to Office Depot today,and asked to see scanners,
with the CCD element.
He didn't know what I was talking about.
He even looked it up on his "Hand Held"device?
He's been in that department,quite a while.
When I walked in,it looked like "Nerdville".
But I guess not?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

It is surprisingly difficult to sometimes find that information. Even when looking at the scanner specs. One easy way to tell is to find a scanner that is made to scan negatives or film slides. They need the CCD to scan the depth of the slides correctly.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 AM
FredYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
It is surprisingly difficult to sometimes find that information. Even when looking at the scanner specs. One easy way to tell is to find a scanner that is made to scan negatives or film slides. They need the CCD to scan the depth of the slides correctly.
I have found that to be very true! Finding the specs does not always tell you the scanning element anymore. In fact, it is getting harder & harder to find a flat bed scanner at all!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:44 AM
Lonnie Nagel

There's a reason why they're working at Office Depot
Old 10-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Default scanners

Thank you all,for your help.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

I don't think the staff at places like Office Depot have much cause to know a lot about scanners anymore - they aren't as popular / necessary for pictures and things like that as they were 20 years ago. My local Office Depot had a pretty poor selection, I actually wound up ordering the one I wanted (an Epson v370) off of Amazon.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 AM

I posted this last month in another thread. It may be helpful here. Also see this thread for more suggestions:

As of 9/23/2019, I just checked the Canon site and it appears they no longer make the Canoscan 5600F, the 9000F, or the 9000F Mark II. It looks like Canon only makes LiDE scanners which do not work well with slabbed cards.

You can find one 9000F and one 9000F Mark II on Amazon right now, but they are ridiculously overpriced.

For us card geeks, the Epson V series may be the only good option, other than finding a used Canon on eBay.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I posted this last month in another thread. It may be helpful here. Also see this thread for more suggestions:

As of 9/23/2019, I just checked the Canon site and it appears they no longer make the Canoscan 5600F, the 9000F, or the 9000F Mark II. It looks like Canon only makes LiDE scanners which do not work well with slabbed cards.

You can find one 9000F and one 9000F Mark II on Amazon right now, but they are ridiculously overpriced.

For us card geeks, the Epson V series may be the only good option, other than finding a used Canon on eBay.

I purchased my Canoscan 5600F after the release of the 9000F and it was ridiculously underpriced.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I have nothing but positive feedback for the Epson v370. It works beautifully with cards, including for thicker cases and slabs.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-23-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I purchased my Canoscan 5600F after the release of the 9000F and it was ridiculously underpriced.
Preposterous!

Incredulous!

Ludicrous!

heh

Old 10-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
If you have independent computer stores in your area I found 3 canon9000's last year. Shoulda bought them all, but love the one I have.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-24-2019, 02:08 AM
Bill Gregory

My Canoscan 8400F is older than Queen Elizabeth, but it still gives me very nice scans. I'm not suggesting you get that one, because, again, it's older than the Queen of England. But Canon, with their Canoscan line, has had a really nice run of putting out scanners with remarkable quality and durability.

This was scanned over 5 years ago with the 8400F. It has the CCD element, so whatever graded card you might get, a PSA, SGC or a Beckett, it can handle it without any drop in quality because of slab depth.

I'm going to get back into collecting baseball cards again here pretty soon, and when I upgrade my scanner, it will be another Canon.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:07 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
My Canoscan 8400F is older than Queen Elizabeth, but it still gives me very nice scans. I'm not suggesting you get that one, because, again, it's older than the Queen of England. But Canon, with their Canoscan line, has had a really nice run of putting out scanners with remarkable quality and durability.

This was scanned over 5 years ago with the 8400F. It has the CCD element, so whatever graded card you might get, a PSA, SGC or a Beckett, it can handle it without any drop in quality because of slab depth.

I'm going to get back into collecting baseball cards again here pretty soon, and when I upgrade my scanner, it will be another Canon.
Hate to break it to you Bill, but take good care of your old one. Canon doesn't make a model with a CCD element any more.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The more skill the store personnel have the more they make per hour in turn leads to higher cost items. The ROI for that expertise probably isn't good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don't think the staff at places like Office Depot have much cause to know a lot about scanners anymore - they aren't as popular / necessary for pictures and things like that as they were 20 years ago. My local Office Depot had a pretty poor selection, I actually wound up ordering the one I wanted (an Epson v370) off of Amazon.

Last edited by Leon; 10-27-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:01 PM
Greg C

Just get a CanoScan and call it a day. 5600F, 8800F, 9000F etc.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 AM

Default Scanners

I have an "Envy"5055 (scanner-printer).It usually takes terrible scans,of graded
cards.So,I bought an "Epson 370",so I can scan the graded cards.
The "370" has no printer,as you know,
If I still want to print,can I hook them together,in tandem?(lack of a better
word)
Or,do I have to plug them in,one at a time?

Thanks,
"No Tech Ben"
again
Old 11-04-2019, 06:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Yourg View Post
I have an "Envy"5055 (scanner-printer).It usually takes terrible scans,of graded
cards.So,I bought an "Epson 370",so I can scan the graded cards.
The "370" has no printer,as you know,
If I still want to print,can I hook them together,in tandem?(lack of a better
word)
Or,do I have to plug them in,one at a time?

Thanks,
"No Tech Ben"
again
Scan the card and save the file to the desktop or other designated file on your computer. Then print it as you would normally anything else from your computer. I would think with a USB port or other way of connecting, you should be able to have both the scanner and the printer connected to the computer at the same time.