NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Mike

Just sold my SGC 4 via Goldin. I was hoping for 1 more bid, but that's fine.

My wife is on cloud 9, it's all about perspective I guess.

Loved owning it but it's on to the next one!

Going Trout fishing
Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 AM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canofcorn View Post
My wife is on cloud 9, it's all about perspective I guess.

Loved owning it but it's on to the next one!
Hopefully, you don't mean you're on to the next wife. If so, don't let her read that.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mantles

it is a HUGE drop
if someone really paid 169k
and then sold for 135k...thats with buyers premium
paid 169k then realized 112k
thats a 57k loss 33% approx...not 20
how about the rose rookies selling for 15-18 now selling for 4k 75% drop?
clemente 8s from 50-30
koufax 8 from 30 to last night 9K? wow
Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
it is a HUGE drop
clemente 8s from 50-30
koufax 8 from 30 to last night 9K? wow

i dont think we can compare clemente and rose rookies with the rookie mantle.

just like one low sale cant be 100% of trend...the same can be said with one lone high sale. like you said 'if someone really paid 169k' if you show me 5 cards in a row that sold for 140-160k and the sixth one sold for 100k...thats a lot different to pointing to one sale of a card for an amount that we arent even sure if someone really paid for it\

i posted awhile ago though that mid to low grade mantles were due to fall...its a bit of a pyramid scheme when the buyers of these cards are just going to try the flip them

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-30-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

[QUOTE=sflayank;1625583]it is a HUGE drop
clemente 8s from 50-30
koufax 8 from 30 to last night 9K? wow[/QUOTE

https://goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.a...entoryid=33087

You mean Bill Goodwin was wrong?
"For the discerning collector or the profit-driven investor, this card should be an automatic. The Koufax rookie card’s climb has been as remarkable as Koufax pitching at Dodger Stadium on a hot summer day. We expect the day to come very soon, when Koufax rookies at PSA 8 will be selling well in excess of $200,000 and perhaps as $250,000."

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-30-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default koufax

thats pretty funny...someone actually paid 80k...because goodwin said itll be $200k-250k
insane
Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
thats pretty funny...someone actually paid 80k...because goodwin said itll be $200k-250k
insane
The word "disingenuous" comes to mind.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The word "disingenuous" comes to mind.
Have to agree on that one. That Koufax in an 8 will never, never be a 250k card. There are far too many and not enough demand.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Hopefully, you don't mean you're on to the next wife. If so, don't let her read that.
OK that's funny!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
insane
I honestly don't know how that works, that if the card didn't actually sell/change hands (it has been stated numerous times!) then how can they state it sold for $80,000
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 PM

I haven't looked at prices since I sold my low grade Mantles in 2010 and 2012.
I sold them for a fraction of what they go for now. Based on the trends I'm seeing it's a stronger market now and people have the coin.

I never did upgrade and it's probably a losing proposition now.

These are just an example of low grade options but they seem to have doubled in price.

Just for reference I got just under $7k for the '52 and under $5k for the '51.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I honestly don't know how that works, that if the card didn't actually sell/change hands (it has been stated numerous times!) then how can they state it sold for $80,000
well not talking a specifically about a card but sites do give a 'sell/sold' price right after the auction.....not everyone pays on their wins yet I never seen an auction house erase a 'sell/sold' price...Plus in theory, the card was actually sold, meaning there was a legal obligation from the buyer to pay for it, but in real life that doesnt mean much if they didnt actually pay and you arent going to collect. You can get a judgment as well against a homeless person for million dollars but again it doesnt mean anything if you cant collect but yes, you do have a million dollar judgment. Same thing as 'selling' a koufax rookie for 100k at auction, but not collecting, you can still say it 'sold for 100k' . There are probably some people that may not pay for an item but actually the type of people you can collect from as well on their legal obligation.

I'm assuming 1/100 times you may see a 'sell/sold' card that never was paid for relisted with the same auction but i dont remember REA/mile high/goodwin ever doing that the last few years.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-02-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:27 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
well not talking a specifically about a card but sites do give a 'sell/sold' price right after the auction.....not everyone pays on their wins yet I never seen an auction house erase a 'sell/sold' price...Plus in theory, the card was actually sold, meaning there was a legal obligation from the buyer to pay for it, but in real life that doesnt mean much if they didnt actually pay and you arent going to collect. You can get a judgment as well against a homeless person for million dollars but again it doesnt mean anything if you cant collect but yes, you do have a million dollar judgment. Same thing as 'selling' a koufax rookie for 100k at auction, but not collecting, you can still say it 'sold for 100k' . There are probably some people that may not pay for an item but actually the type of people you can collect from as well on their legal obligation.

I'm assuming 1/100 times you may see a 'sell/sold' card that never was paid for relisted with the same auction but i dont remember REA/mile high/goodwin ever doing that the last few years.
If the card didn't exchange hands for the amount they are showing it did, then that's deceptive and an outright lie. If the card did sell, whether it be to the under bidder or to someone else, then that is the price that should be listed.

This is nothing more than the ugly side of the hobby, the ugly side that keeps people from collecting/purchasing in order to keep the hobby healthy and strong.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

The better and higher priced the cards, the more haters, card doctors, and scammers that come out and play. You go ahead and build a better mousetrap...hidden reserves, psa, jsa...they build a better mouse

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
If the card didn't exchange hands for the amount they are showing it did, then that's deceptive and an outright lie. If the card did sell, whether it be to the under bidder or to someone else, then that is the price that should be listed.

This is nothing more than the ugly side of the hobby, the ugly side that keeps people from collecting/purchasing in order to keep the hobby healthy and strong.
Again, not exactly, so what if the auction house sued the person that was the high bidder and got a judgment for 100k on a mantle plus the buyers premium (20k) for a total of 120k because they proved they legitimately sold the card for 120k. That would mean in a court of law they proved a sale of 120k. The card didnt change hands yet because it was not paid for. I not saying that was the case in whatever example we were talking about, but showing there are situations that if the card didnt change hands it can still be said it 'sold' without it being an outright lie.

It not worth auction houses to sue on every case but again a legal obligation was created to pay.

People 'sell' houses all the time especially in 2008 and the buyer with no real ability to pay got a ridiculous mortgage to buy the house way above perceived market price. To the property tax appraiser and the 'market' the house sold for what the buyer was 'obligated' to pay even if later the house goes into foreclosure because that buyer never paid for the house. Even though the house was never paid (lets say 2 years were paid on a 30 year mortgage) the 'sold' price is what that buyer paid with that mortgage .