NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default PSA or SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Jay

Hey,

I have about 80 T206s that I would like to get graded a few at a time. Would like to start a set registry, either through PSA or SGC. I have 3 already graded PSA, 5 from SGC, and 5 from GAI. Would cross over the others to my choice company. Would appreciate input.

Regards,
Jay Kaplan

Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I personally like SCG. The holders are much more striking and show the cards better. The grading is a tossup. Both are usually good, but there are sometimes errors. My opinion only.

Ken

Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

At the moment the PSA Registry is easier to use.

SGC is making improvements but progress is slow.
I would say, don't let the Registry be the single deciding factor. Weigh all the thinks you like and don't like yourself and follow your instincts from there. Once you fet to 100 cards it doesn't make much sense to change horses so making up your mind now is probably a wise idea.
RayB

Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

If you are looking to purchase T206s that have already been graded, PSA cards are more readily available on ebay.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I use the SGC registry and like it just fine. I have only used The SGC registry so can not offer any advice on the other two but will agree with Wes that PSA graded cards are more available. Best of luck and drop us a link when you get your cards up!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

My 2 cents -

I like SGC much better than PSA for several different reasons.

As far as T206 is concerned (relatively plentiful), unless the cards are really high grade the thought of a registry seems a bit pointless because to me the registry seems more like a competition to see who has the best. It's like that saying goes, "second place is the first loser".

Think it over. You could have a mixture of both PSA and SGC. Enter the cards into your own spreadsheet and you can come up with your own average using both the grades from both companies. This will make it easier on you and you wont have to worry about crossing over.

Sometimes (ok, a lot of times) I stick my foot in my mouth, this is probably one of those times...

Collect to enjoy. Enjoy what you collect.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

LOL Fred. Thanks to everyone. I mostly buy cards raw because they are cheaper and sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough. Got a SLer off ebay for 30 bucks because of bad scans that when it came in looked like it might be a 5, then traded it for a Matty 4.

I am still deciding. PSA's is much easier, but they are very inconsistent with grading. I have had several 4's that are worse than many 3's and so on.

Regards,
Jay Kaplan

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

SGC is the best overall choice.

SGC Positives:

1. No club to join.
2. Better grading rates.
3. Half grades.
4. Better aesthics for holder.
5. More consistent grading.
6. Guarantee.
7. Better customer service.

PSA Positives:

1. Better registry.
2. More for sale on any given day in the market.

For me, the SGC positives far outweigh the PSA positives. In my opinion, the SGC positives have much more real value and integrity. Also, it is not a big deal to me personally that the PSA registry is better than the SGC registry. They both accomplish the same thing. Also, there are more SGC T206's available than I can afford, so it really does not matter that there are even more PSA T206's out there at one time that I can not afford.

For others, the PSA positives are much more important for them personally and it makes it an easy decision for them also.

In any case, take in the input and make your own informed decision based on what you personally view as important.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Personally, I prefer PSA. Their Registry is much better, but put that aside. PSA has always given me excellent customer service and they do guarantee their work.

The key issue is availability. Right now there are 382 PSA graded T206 cards up on EBAY as opposed to only 96 SGC cards. So if you are committed to pursuing a graded set, it's easier to do it in PSA.

Frank

Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

PSA set reg is very user friendly. Customer service is amazing...

...and say what you will, but PSA cards command more money than SGC.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Did I miss a memo somewhere.

Can some explain to me how the hell the PSA registry is easier to use and better then the SGC one?

The only benifit I see to the PSA registry is that they have a great deal more cards and sets on it.

However over the last few months I have noticed that none of the cards I have gotten back from them have been put into the population report.

I know that as soon as SGC sends out my cards they are in the population report.

I also don't think PSA cards bring more money either. Perhaps some cards on the high grade ie 7 and up may go higher in a PSA holder, beyond that I think prices are pretty close.

I agree with all of what FYS said above.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

SGC's slabs look much better, they grade more consistently, and regardless of what you are told above, their customer service and guarantee are second to none. Do a search of past posts on psa's customer service and I think you will find more complaints than accolades. Same goes for their guarantee.

As for the registry - sgc's has been overhauled and I dont believe its any worse from a user interface perspective than psa's. I will acknowledge that there are not as many users/registrants. I will also note that psa's pop reports are much easier to use - particularly if you are interested in looking up the population of an entire set as opposed to an individual player.

Finally, I agree that there are more psa cards out there than sgc. It doesnt deter me from simply buying psa and crossing them over to sgc. As long as you dont crack the cards out before submitting to sgc, you will be fine - if they dont cross, simply sell and try to find another card to fill the slot.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

--I think their slabs look nicer (much nicer).

--I like that I don't have to pay money to join a club - just to have the privelege of sending them business.

--I like that they do on-site grading. So I could head to a show with a raw card and go home that day with a card in a slab. I don't think PSA does that, do they?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ScottIngold

"As long as you dont crack the cards out before submitting to sgc"

Josh,

Is this correct ? I thought everyone cracked before submitting.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Scott - it depends on the card. With cards graded psa 4,5, or 6 - I rarely crack them out before submitting. Many have crossed just fine, but Ive actually found that more psa cards are overgraded in this category of grades than any other that I collect (I dont collect real high grade cards, so cant really comment on psa's grading in that respect). Therefore, I choose not to take the risk of cracking and getting stuck with a lower grade.

With cards graded in the 2 or 3 range, I usually crack out because they almost always get graded at least an equivilent grade and sometimes you get lucky and get a higher grade.

Edited to add - you may be correct that most people crack and submit. If you do so, you just have to be prepared to take a hit now and then. If you plan to keep the card no matter the grade, then that is fine.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

You get more quality from SGC than PSA. Also, I like the SGC holders better. PSA holders are too red, when I look at a card I want to see the card first and then I will double-check for the grading co., the SGC holders allow you to do that.

Peter

Old 01-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Burke

SGC holders look nicer so definitely a plus on the aesthetics. SGC cards definitely hold up value-wise compared to PSA. I don't see a noticeable difference, unlike GAI. Clearly there are far fewer SGC graded cards available so if you're into set building, you will undoubdtedly have to crossover or wait a long time unless you have incredible luck with raw cards.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

I kept a 2006 ebay closing price log of T206 major HOF'ers in 5 and 6 grades. The final yearly tally revealed PSA higher price 7 times, SGC higher price 1 time, pretty much a wash 3 times. Most notably, Mathewson portrait SGC 60 twice fetched $1,379 & $1,259 - when PSA 5 twice fetched $2,236 & $2,280. I tried to track nice for the grade cards, excluding tilt cuts, worse than 60/40, etc. I really like the SGC holders better, but PSA simply commands higher prices. Hint: buy SGC and convert.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i have been saying this for a long time...the majority of times, PSA will command higher prices.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

Just taking the first card in the T206 and comparing realized prices and availability (Data credit: Vintage Card Prices.Com)

1. Abbaticchio (Blue Sleeves)

SGC 50/4: 1/26/06 eBay $105.50
PSA 4: 12/17/06 eBay $76.99, 12/15/06 eBay $79.88, 8/1/06 eBay $86.00, 6/6/06 eBay $86.00, 5/21/06 eBay $135.50, 11/9/05 eBay $56.00

The SGC sale (1) exceeded 5 of the (6) PSA examples and far exceeded the most recent PSA sale.

SGC 40/3: 12/3/06 eBay $49.00, 11/12/06 eBay $36.98, 2/20/06 eBay $36.69
PSA 3: 11/3/06 eBay $59.88, 6/21/06 eBay $36.78, 6/11/06 eBay $49.98, 3/13/06 eBay $36.52, 1/3/06 eBay $40.00, 12/21/05 eBay $37.00, 12/9/05 eBay $39.05

SGC average price (3) = $40.89
PSA average price (7) = $42.74

SGC 30/2 (3): 10/14/06 eBay $32.29, 8/20/06 eBay $22.16, 6/27/06 eBay $17.50
PSA 2 (1): 12/4/05 eBay $30.99

The last SGC sale outperformed the latest PSA sale.

SGC Total Examples Sold: 7
PSA Total Examples Sold: 14

This is only one example, so the data means little, but I think the statement that more PSA cards are on the market than SGC cards is undeniably true. However, that means very little as 21 examples of the card came up in the last year on eBay alone.

The statement that SGC does not sell for as much as PSA is not true. You will certainly find individual examples of disparity. As a whole, across all grades and all sets, there is no difference!