NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Chris

I just received an email from PSA indicating that they are running a special this month of $5.50 a card with a 50 card minimum. It seems like a pretty reasonable deal if they are something you want to grade on your own.

If they were mine, I'd probably get the better ones graded--stars, high numbers, cards that are in really good shape--and then consign them to one of the eBay auction guys (Sean Bassik, PWCC, Probstein). They receive breaks on eBay fees, so you may net more going that route. Obviously do some research first though and ask around.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:25 PM

Update:

We ended up getting a bunch of snow the day of the sports show so we didn't end up making it to get anything graded.

In the meantime I Joined PSA. As I understand the 15 card deal it only applies to cards under $500. Should I send in 20 cards and just expect to pay the difference? If I send in a card and it grades over that do they just bill me the difference? Is there any tips I should know about the mailing in cards process?

My dad was going through some stuff in the basement and found another box of cards which answered some questions I had. I couldn't figure out why he had doubles of everything except the Bazooka All time Greats cards. Turns out the doubles were in another box.

He also had a few baseball player stamps. Turns out those were the doubles of the 3 albums he had collected. I'm guessing these are not worth much due to being put into albums but they are neat because he wrote little notes about the teams and their series records on the pages. He has quite a few of the teams completed in 3 different albums.

He also had this set of weird 3d gun cards or art or whatever they are

Old 12-23-2015, 02:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

No, don't send 5 additional cards with your 15 free coupon. Wait until you select 25 or so that are $100 or less and send them all in on a Club Special for $6/card. You'll need to pay separate shipping back anyways, so there's no real incentive to mail the other five cards right now. Great collection. Thanks for checking back in with an update. You might want to put those stamp albums on eBay as Buy-It-Now/Best Offer. I think that with an auction you might not get the price you want, but if you BIN/BO them, someone will come along and offer you a fair price.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:31 AM
Glyn Parson

Default do not use penny sleeves

i have seen so many corners get bumped using penny sleeves. also be xareful the way you have them lying all over each other. i advise against handling any of them again except to put in crd savers. the slightest bump makes a world of difference. there are cars between 5-8 from the way the scans look.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:37 AM

Hi OP, that is an awesome collection and find. Literally what most of us dream about.

I love that you decided to go slow and do research. Sounds like you are having fun doing so.

Be sure to properly pack and insure anything you send off to PSA. It was mentioned earlier but I'll repeat. If and when you decide to sell, you may want to consider probstein or pwcc. Both have lots of eyes eatching their auctions. This is especially true if you sell off some of the better grades superstars to assist in financing things.

One more thing...anything Mantle sells. If you get a 7 or 8 mantle, it's a big deal.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricesquad View Post
I'm enjoying learning a bit more about collecting, Reading up on the 62 topps set it's neat that he has so many doubles.

He has a Pile of checklists including the yellow box variation, but he wrote on it.
Just ONE of the MANY cool things about this collection! I would keep the marked checklists, not that they are worth all that much, but BECAUSE YOUR DAD MARKED THEM! SWEET! THe same with the Stamp Albums that he annotated!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:27 PM

So I went through some of the cards again and tried to pick out 15 that would be worth grading under my PSA deal.

Full size
http://i.imgur.com/vgnrVpC.jpg

My question is if any turn out to be high enough condition to be worth more than $500 does PSA just charge me the difference or am I supposed to know enough to only send in cards less than $500?

Also is there a best way to package and ship the cards? I was thinking in a smallish box(VHS sized) wrapped in paper and double ziplock bagged then peanuts and boxed. Is there also a better service to send them? Ups or Usps? Should I overnight them?

Last edited by capricesquad; 01-13-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So I went through some of the cards again and tried to pick out 15 that would be worth grading under my PSA deal.

Full size
http://i.imgur.com/vgnrVpC.jpg

My question is if any turn out to be high enough condition to be worth more than $500 does PSA just charge me the difference or am I supposed to know enough to only send in cards less than $500?

Also is there a best way to package and ship the cards? I was thinking in a smallish box(VHS sized) wrapped in paper and double ziplock bagged then peanuts and boxed. Is there also a better service to send them? Ups or Usps? Should I overnight them?
Beautiful collection, Caprice Sorry, I am no help to your questions, but I am also looking forward to the replies as I am also considering sending some of my high cards in to get graded.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Howard Chasser

Default sending cards to PSA

1) Nice group of cards - the only one I would think twice about is the Maris All Star - it is really poorly cut/centered.

2) The $500 ceiling is 1 for insurance purposes - in the rare case that anything happens to a card. You do not get charged more if the card gets a grade that makes it worth more than $500. That said - I have sent cards in that in my opinion were significantly under graded when they would have been worth more than the "value ceiling" of my submission. Not accusing PSA of anything, just really curious to me. I would submit as you planned and know you always have the option of cracking a card out of its holder and resubmitting - if the grade(s) seem that off.

3) Packing and shipping - I would stack all the cards together and sandwich them between 2 pieces of cardboard - tape the bundle securely with plastic packing tape. Place the bundle in a baggie. Use a box large enough to surround the cards with 2-3 inches of foam/bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts. I would compare the cost of priority mail versus registered mail - the declared value of the package will make a large difference - the greater the value, the more it makes sense to send registered.

Good luck - AWESOME collection! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Howard
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM

Seeing as the Maris is off center I swapped it with another Willie Mays card. The Mays is off centered too but should still be worth grading.

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/Zj1eL5J.jpg

Here is what I'm going to send off

Full size
http://i.imgur.com/Rglf8kf.jpg

Based on feedback from this thread I have been sorting through everything and putting anything that is centered and has no obvious wear or damage into card savers to keep anything from getting damaged. Hopefully once I have a few graded cards in hand I can get a better feel for how the collection will grade and sort accordingly.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's a hell of a submission. Keep us posted as to grades.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM

I got the first 15 mailed today, I hope I got the forms filled out right.

I also started to sort through the cards and put everything that is centered and in good shape into holders to keep them from getting damaged.

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/ZvO48Xs.jpg

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/2HFoBU0.jpg

After a few hours I filled this box and ran out of holders

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/7ul9tet.jpg

Once I get more holders I have a few more boxes to comb through.

Obviously I'm not quite there on being able to grade cards myself but I'm starting to be able to pick out flaws. Once I get the graded cards back and get everything that looks nice in holders I'm going to try to resort everything and make a pile that I think are worth submitting when a bulk deal comes up.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far.

Last edited by capricesquad; 01-21-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:05 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

You're going about it the right way. Nice job. Good luck on the submission.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM

I'm still waiting to hear from PSA. They entered my order into their system last wednesday the 27th so I was hoping to see something posted in my account by today but I guess it's going to run more than 7 days.

In the meantime I've been sorting through more boxes of cards and picking out the centered ones. How do I measure the top/bottom centering on a 1963 topps? Do I use the bottom of the letters or is there a rule of thumb?

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/cwt14Lw.jpg

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/uda0GOW.jpg

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/IxoObyY.jpg

Full Size
http://i.imgur.com/BXBvzsY.jpg
Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

The grades popped up online today. A bit disappointed as things came back pretty rough overall but on a good note these are cards I picked out early on and were picked more because they are star players rather than the cards with the best condition.

Also one of the Mays and the one Santo card came back with decent enough grades that I feel it's definitely worth the time and effort to send in more of the nicest ones.

I also now have a fair range of grades to refer to when picking out the condition of future grading prospects.

Last edited by capricesquad; 02-08-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Congrats on the grades. It's definitely a start on a solid collection, plus you'll be able to easily prove all the cards are real when you decide to sell them.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
The grades popped up online today. A bit disappointed as things came back pretty rough overall but on a good note these are cards I picked out early on and were picked more because they are star players rather than the cards with the best condition.

Also one of the Mays and the one Santo card came back with decent enough grades that I feel it's definitely worth the time and effort to send in more of the nicest ones.

I also now have a fair range of grades to refer to when picking out the condition of future grading prospects.
Imo, those aren't rough at all based on how strict they are nowadays grading cards.

I know we are all looking for 9's and 10's but considering the manu process back in the day, even if the cards were well kept/stored from day one, those numbers, due to flaws from the factory, are very hard to obtain.

I've said it before, you have an awesome collection and one that most on here would love to have, so enjoy them and be glad they are your's.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Like i said it's not a huge deal as these were not the nicest condition cards but I sent them as even in bad condition they are still worth grading. The biggest letdown is my dad can't find a binder of his best cards that he used to take to card shows. It had more star cards and a whole 1963 fleer set. Also it had a 62 mantle that my uncle ruined by signing it Mickey Mantle in pencil as a kid. My dad said he doesn't remember it turning up when they moved about 15 years ago so it's probably long gone possibly pilfered and sold by one of my older siblings or thrown out/lost somewhere between the 1990s and their move.

Also I ordered some loupes to start inspecting cards closer and was wondering about the 1963 centering question i posted a few posts up this page.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:46 PM

I got the ship notice from PSA yesterday and should have the cards in hand soon to look them over.

Also my dad found a little notebook he had as a kid

Inside was a bunch of baseball player transfers

and Team transfers

and Player stickers

and these team pennants

Then the book is lists of old music he made tapes of

The book is probably 100 full pages of baseball stickers which is I'm sure not worth much as it's been stuck to paper. But really neat because my dad put it together and made notes about the teams and the players.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Michael Skiles

If you decide on prices for the Post Cereal and Jello cards I would be very interested in purchasing. Also, your Dad's book with the stickers and rub offs in it is awesome. I hope you hang on to it.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Erik

Quote:
I got the ship notice from PSA yesterday and should have the cards in hand soon to look them over.

Also my dad found a little notebook he had as a kid

Inside was a bunch of baseball player transfers

and Team transfers

and Player stickers

and these team pennants

Then the book is lists of old music he made tapes of

The book is probably 100 full pages of baseball stickers which is I'm sure not worth much as it's been stuck to paper. But really neat because my dad put it together and made notes about the teams and the players.
That is very cool. So great your dad saved stuff like that as well as all cards.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Garrett

um.....this is awesome!!!! I love seeing stuff like this. My Dad and I collected cards together as I was growing up and he gave me his entire collection as well. I would be interested in buying some cards once you decide to sell.

1955:206/206 complete
1956: 298/341 complete
1957: just starting
1958:515/534 complete; 1 base, 2 numerical checklists and 16 yellow letters

1959: 513/572
1959 PSA 6: 40/572
1965: 352/598
1966: 447/598
1967: /609
1968: /598
1969: 562/664
1970: 635/720
1971: 717/752
Old 02-29-2016, 02:52 PM

I was out of town for a few weeks but realized I had enough time to get a submission together and postmarked today to get the 5.75 price.

In an effort to get better cards I flipped through the 1962 cards I set aside as good and took out ones that were nicely centered and had good eye appeal. I ended up with 140 or so that I then resorted and picked my favorites out of to get a submission of 25 cards. Not scientific but each sort I would find little things off about cards once they were only mixed in with sharp well centered examples.

I snapped some quick pics of what I sent off, hopefully these grade a bit better as they were picked by condition and not player fame. Sorry about the glare, I put them on the patio for better lighting but the sun doesn't play nice with cards savers.

http://i.imgur.com/3KII6bp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/g0uaG89.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MXVBCg0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I01odD7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5kO7Vac.jpg
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Bi11..R0berts

They look nice, good luck!
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM

So PSA finally checked in my submission that was shipped on feb 29 so now the 50 day wait for grades actually started. In the mean time I was hoping to look into his post and jello cards.

I started by putting all his 1963 bazooka all time greats into card savers.

Then I checked out a binder that had this.

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

It had a letter addressed to his aunt at his childhood home in South Chicago stuck inside as a bookmark.

Full Size

Back side has I think Czech writing but no idea what it says

Full Size

My dad was born in 1947 but my grandpa was born in 1917 so maybe the book was a handme down?

Anyways the reason I included the letter is because my dad was born on the south side of chicago and lived there til my grandparents bought a farm in Aurora when he was six. As a result he is a White Sox fan.

He collected a bunch of cards but he made binders of just White Sox Players and occasional Cubs players without much organization.

So you have pages like this

Full Size

Full Size

In the same book as pages like this

Full Size

which explain some holes in the 1962 set that was in the boxes

He also like to connect to kids through baseball when he was a principal and he would organize fieldtrips and special days like Kite Day and Baseball day for the whole school. I have a feeling this was sent to him in that capacity but he thought it was neat and laminated and saved it.

Full Size

On to the post cards, they are a bit confusing so I decided to put everything in card savers so I can handle them to figure out what he has.

Full Size

He had a pretty steady hand as a kid because most of the cards are very nicely cut. But on many he cut along the border rather than around it so I'm not sure how something like this grades exactly. I'll probably send in a few stars and see how they come back. I asked him how he cut them so well and he said he borrowed Grandma's sewing scissors. Once she found out and calmed down, she made him buy her a new pair and he kept the old ones to cut out cards with.

Full size

I filled 2 card saver boxes and ran out of card savers with a small pile of 1962 post yet to go.

I did get a chance to look everything over. He has a bunch of 1962 Post, many 1963 post, and smatterings of 1961 post and 1963 jello. Naturally being from the Chicagoland area he has 10 of the rare 1962 test market Jello cards as well.

Full Size

Last edited by capricesquad; 03-16-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So PSA finally checked in my submission that was shipped on feb 29 so now the 50 day wait for grades actually started. In the mean time I was hoping to look into his post and jello cards.

I started by putting all his 1963 bazooka all time greats into card savers.

Then I checked out a binder that had this.
Wow, your collection just keeps getting better and better all the time!

Must be pretty exciting going through all his old collection.

Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 PM

I got a surprise E-mail from PSA today. Seems my order that I sent March 1st and was checked in on the 12 was shipped today. Nowhere near the 50 days I was expecting.

As far as grades go I am much happier than last time. No gem mint 10's but no complete junk grades either. Out of 25 there were 9 6's, 9 7's and 7 8's with a few qualifiers.

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 139 Babe Ruth Babe Hits 60 Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 466 Norm Cash All Star Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 237 World Series the Winners Celebrate
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 340 Don Drysdale Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 ST 1962 Topps 10 Bob Clemente Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 170 Ron Santo Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 353 Bill Mazeroski Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 PD 1962 Topps 90 Jim Piersall Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 349 Paul Foytack Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 367 Checklist 353-429 Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 54 NL Home Run Leaders Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 179 Tom Sturdivant Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 187 Gene Conley Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 184 Haywood Sullivan Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 117 Gary Geiger Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 28 Minnie Minoso Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 168 Leo Posada Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 436 Felix Mantilla Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 151 Johnny Klippstein Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 451 Jose Tartabull Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 58 NL Win Leaders Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 486 Jim Gilliam Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 153 Pumpsie Green Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 460 Jim Bunning Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 234 World Series Game 3 Maris Wins It in the 9th
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I got a surprise E-mail from PSA today. Seems my order that I sent March 1st and was checked in on the 12 was shipped today. Nowhere near the 50 days I was expecting.

As far as grades go I am much happier than last time. No gem mint 10's but no complete junk grades either. Out of 25 there were 9 6's, 9 7's and 7 8's with a few qualifiers.
Nice, CS.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:15 PM

I was at my parents for easter and I went through and picked out 15 more 1962 Topps and 35 1961 Topps especially the high numbers to send in for the March special.

Some are doubles of cards I already submitted like the Mantles and Mays but most are very sharp looking and I focused on the 1961 High numbers as much as possible.

First 25 (Sorry for the angle the glare was awful and I was pressed for time after getting the submission entered.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 PM

2nd 25

Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM

The latest 50 have popped up online. One did come up as a 9 but 7 were rejected as being too small or miscut. What exactly does that mean and is there anything I should know about those cards?

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 53 AL Home Run Leaders Card
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1962 Topps 288 Billy Williams Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 516 Checklist 507-598 Yellow Boxes
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 500 Duke Snider Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 MC 1962 Topps 313 Maris Blasts 61st Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 440 Joe Jay Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 470 Al Kaline All Star Card
N8: MISCUT 1962 Topps 312 Spahn Shows No-Hit Form Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1962 Topps 59 AL Strikeout Leaders Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1962 Topps 314 Colavito's Power Card
NEAR MINT 7 ST 1962 Topps 170 Ron Santo Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 139 Babe Ruth Babe Hits 60-Green Tint Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 54 NL Home Run Leaders Card
EXCELLENT 5 1962 Topps 310 Whitey Ford Card
NEAR MINT 7 1962 Topps 475 Whitey Ford All Star Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 589 Warren Spahn All Star Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 200 Warren Spahn Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 533 Jack Curtis Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 540 Jackie Jensen Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 583 Del Crandall All Star Card
N8: MISCUT 1961 Topps 415 Hank Aaron Card
MINT 9 1961 Topps 573 Ken Boyer All Star Card
N6: MINIMUM SIZE REQUIREMENT 1961 Topps 307 Mantle Slams 2 Homers
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 89 Billy Martin Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 443 Duke Snider Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Topps 472 Yogi Berra MVP Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Topps 425 Yogi Berra Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 530 Bobby Malkmus Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 563 Bob Cerv Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 560 Barry Latman Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 549 Hal R. Smith Card
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1961 Topps 475 Mickey Mantle MVP Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 560 Barry Latman Card
EXCELLENT 5 1961 Topps 482 Willie Mays MVP Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 495 Elston Howard Card
N8: MISCUT 1961 Topps 557 Jose Valdivielso Card
N8: MISCUT 1961 Topps 548 Ted Wills Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 PD 1961 Topps 435 Orlando Cepeda Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 565 Felipe Alou Card
EXCELLENT 5 1961 Topps 338 Don Landrum Card
NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1961 Topps 260 Don Drysdale Card
NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1961 Topps 573 Ken Boyer All Star Card
N8: MISCUT 1961 Topps 1 Dick Groat Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 228 Yankees Team Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 586 Whitey Ford All Star Card
NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1961 Topps 460 Gil Hodges Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 Topps 568 Bill Skowron All Star Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 19 Cletis Boyer Card
NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 572 Brooks Robinson All Star Card
EXCELLENT 5 1961 Topps 41 NL Batting Leaders Card
Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Also the Babe hits 60 1962 topps green tint says it's a pop of 5 with only 5 higher. I'm assuming that's specifically the green tint card pop but they don't have a separate green tint price guide do they?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:07 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
The latest 50 have popped up online. One did come up as a 9 but 7 were rejected as being too small or miscut. What exactly does that mean and is there anything I should know about those cards?

I don't know with a 100% certainty, but it would lead me to believe they were trimmed at some point with a knife or scissors?

I believe all cards submitted are put up against known real, uncut/trimmed ones to see if the size is the same? If they aren't, then they deem them trimmed.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

A little bit different, irv.

Min size requirement means that the cards don't measure up to the 2.5"x3.5" size of a standard card from those years. They have a different code for Evidence of Trimming. So what this means is that PSA believes they were probably short when they left the factory at Topps. Since they're not full size cards, they aren't going to grade them, but they also shouldn't have charged you for them.

The miscut ones I would ask PSA to still encapsulate them, as you're paying for them. Call them ASAP and put a hold on your shipping order and have them holdered.

Last edited by swarmee; 04-09-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:27 AM
je.sse @rnot

It means they didn't meat the minimum size requirement but the cards show no signs of trimming or alteration. A miss cut from the factory. Quite common for that era. You could try again with the same company a different one, or keep or sell them raw. Others have had the same thing happen and have resubmitted to PSA and received numerical grades the second or third time. Grading is subjective so you never know.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:32 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Also the Babe hits 60 1962 topps green tint says it's a pop of 5 with only 5 higher. I'm assuming that's specifically the green tint card pop but they don't have a separate green tint price guide do they?
Yes, that would be for the Green Tint version of the card only. If you insert the ID# here: http://www.psacard.com/cert/00000001/
they normally will show the overall count of all cards, not just the green tint variant.
I am surprised they are still telling the difference, as I thought they were considering getting out of the Green Tint identification business.

Based on some messages on the PSA message board, it's up to their discretion whether to put Green Tint on the card or not, so it's not something you're always going to get. But congrats on that card. Congrats on the 9 as well.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:18 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
A little bit different, irv.

Min size requirement means that the cards don't measure up to the 2.5"x3.5" size of a standard card from those years. They have a different code for Evidence of Trimming. So what this means is that PSA believes they were probably short when they left the factory at Topps. Since they're not full size cards, they aren't going to grade them, but they also shouldn't have charged you for them.

The miscut ones I would ask PSA to still encapsulate them, as you're paying for them. Call them ASAP and put a hold on your shipping order and have them holdered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
It means they didn't meat the minimum size requirement but the cards show no signs of trimming or alteration. A miss cut from the factory. Quite common for that era. You could try again with the same company a different one, or keep or sell them raw. Others have had the same thing happen and have resubmitted to PSA and received numerical grades the second or third time. Grading is subjective so you never know.
Interesting.

So if it is fact these cards were mis-cut from the factory and therefore can't be authenticated, (that is what I am assuming?) then they are basically looked at as fakes, or not real, and that is why they are not slabbed?

Seems like a crappy deal if you know for a fact they are just mis-cuts and your cards are practically worth nothing and would be hard(er) to sell. (assuming again?)

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, a raw set collector probably won't care. However, after PSA got a lot of complaints about certain sets where they approved too many short cards (like 1975 Topps mini), so they started being more strict on short cards. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't get graded if sent in again, or to a different grader.

Miscuts would be worth less, normally two grades for a qualifier card. So 8(MC) would sell around the price of a 6.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:31 PM

My dad is now pretty much retired and I think I'm going to sell the cards using ebay as a project with him. Is there a recommended way to scan and ship that collectors prefer when selling on ebay?

At this point I am planning to go through the cards. And make bundles of 4 or 6 cards from the same set. Scan them as a group and list them together on ebay for .01. I'm assuming I will have to take them out of the cardsavers to scan them? Is charging $3-4 to cover the card savers and shipping decent?

Last edited by capricesquad; 09-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Most sellers charge $3 or less for shipping a single card so your in the ballpark. Although I've never used it I believe Ebay has a shipping calculator as well that may be helpful.

I recommend listing graded and star cards individually, and stick to groups with the commons. The Caveat here is if the commons are in really nice condition, short prints, variations or high numbers list them individually as well for better results. Now that you have several graded cards in hand you should have a better idea of which ones would fall into the "really nice" category, (don't forget centering counts).

Don't use pictures in your listings, scan the cards front and back.

Make sure to let us know what your Ebay seller name is as I'm sure there are individuals here who would be interested in bidding some of these. I count myself in that group.

Finally, good luck I'm sure its been a fun journey for you, I've enjoyed seeing the collection!!
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 09-16-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
My dad is now pretty much retired and I think I'm going to sell the cards using ebay as a project with him. Is there a recommended way to scan and ship that collectors prefer when selling on ebay?

At this point I am planning to go through the cards. And make bundles of 4 or 6 cards from the same set. Scan them as a group and list them together on ebay for .01. I'm assuming I will have to take them out of the cardsavers to scan them? Is charging $3-4 to cover the card savers and shipping decent?
Everything what, Bill said, but you may want to try here to sell your cards, or some of them here instead of E-Bay as you will have fees to pay for listings etc.

If you decide E-Bay is the only route, then, like Bill mentioned, please post your name/link here.

You have some very nice cards, and it was fun watching you post them occasionally!

Good Luck.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure I know enough about grading to sell the cards over the internet here. I feel like posting clear scans on ebay would be the best route rather than guess the condition and sell someone on here a card that ends up being not as nice as they expected due to my eye for cards not being the greatest.

Probably be a long term process but I'm not really in a hurry and I'll get an excuse to spend more time with my dad anyways.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Mark Medlin

Don't forget that there is an auction section on this forum too. Then you don't have to set the price, the buyers will - just like eBay but no fees.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Donato DiVecchia

Great collection. Best of all it's given you and your dad a reason to spend time together. I never had a chance to do something like this with my dad. Make the most of it and don't worry so much about the sales. Just enjoy your time together, the rest is gravy.

Donato

Nolan Ryan Topps Master Set: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...?s=192675&ac=1
Old 09-17-2016, 04:08 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I'm not sure I know enough about grading to sell the cards over the internet here. I feel like posting clear scans on ebay would be the best route rather than guess the condition and sell someone on here a card that ends up being not as nice as they expected due to my eye for cards not being the greatest.

Probably be a long term process but I'm not really in a hurry and I'll get an excuse to spend more time with my dad anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmtx View Post
Don't forget that there is an auction section on this forum too. Then you don't have to set the price, the buyers will - just like eBay but no fees.
Exactly!

Describe the cards the best you can (note creases etc if any), post some clear pics/scans of the front and back then the rest is up to the purchaser.

E-Bay is the same. Potential buyers look at the scans then decide themselves what shape the card is in then bid accordingly.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:02 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Yes, please let us know your ebay ID and when you start listing. I will certainly be a bidder on several.

Good luck!

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:33 PM
Patrick N.

Default Be careful

Be careful about selling random groups together as you describe, can be a money killer. PM me if you need any advice, can talk over the phone
Old 09-17-2016, 03:18 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Be sure to combine shipping to increase the number of repeat bidders and decrease the work in mailing.
Make sure to note variations like the 1962 Green Tints and pose variations.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:09 PM

Wishing you the very best. Make yourself be patient with the task of learning how to submit cards for grading. Do not be afraid to ask us questions. It is kinda tedious, but that is where the money is. The cards seem to be in way above average condition for a childhood collection. Hang in there, and TAKE YOUR TIME. ---Brian Powell
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I read this entire thread and finished with a lump in my throat. What an experience you are having. My Dad passed at age 53 and I have his cards that he purchased in the 1980's but wow to have some of the ones he collected as a kid....I can't even imagine how special that would be.

I do hope you hang on to a few and of course the personalized journals and sticker books. They are the most valuable thing in the find. Some things (many actually) are worth much, much more than money.
Good luck,