NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Ban him 23 32.86%
Warn him and if he doesn't quit, then ban him. 39 55.71%
Give him an infraction. 2 2.86%
Do nothing. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default What would you do? - poll

So here is the question.

Say you run a lively chatboard for pre-war vintage baseball cards. It's going nicely and for the most part folks are happy with the way it's going. However, there is one person that you just can't stand, adds very little real value to the board, acts like an a-hole most of the times and is always biting at your feet. Some of the remarks are just insinuations but it's obvious they are pointed at you. What would you do?

Last edited by Leon; 05-06-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Ut oh....should I put my head between my legs and kiss my @@@ goodbye?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
pete ullman

maybe a board vote would be democratic?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Chicago

Chicago- I assure you it's not you, I won't say who it is.

I don't want to have a person named on this poll. There have only been a few people banned and they were way over the top. Those decisions were sort of easy. This one is a bit tougher. Suffice it to say I would be happier but the goal of the board is not to make me happy.

Last edited by Leon; 05-06-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Todd C

I think having a poll is a great way to solicit input from posters.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

I voted give them a warning, then ban them if they don't quit. If the person doesn't bring any real value to the board, then they probably won't be missed.

r/
Frank
Old 05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

personal jabs at the forum owner should not be tolerated, whether they are insinuations or not. Most of us can read between the lines here and I think most of us are adults too. If the infringing party knows what he is doing he should just be banned. It's awfully generous of you Leon to allow some blowhard the space to make such comments. It's your forum though, and it's up to you. what ever happened to just being appreciative that there is a space to talk about vintage cards that's as top notch as this one.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
I voted give them a warning, then ban them if they don't quit. If the person doesn't bring any real value to the board, then they probably won't be missed.

r/
Frank

In such an instance as Leon is talking about, along with the fact that Leon felt compelled enough to make a public poll, it would surprise me quite a bit if this particular individual hasnt been warned at least a few times already. But perhaps the severity of the warnings havent implied banishment is forthcoming?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I might add

I might add that I have never minded taking a few jabs. It comes with the territory. That being said, at some point it just gets tiring. I also don't want folks to think that they can't complain if I do something wrong. They can. If someone doesn't like the way the board is run they can express their opinion and shouldn't fear retaliation. I really do take this very seriously and it's been on my mind quite some time. regards
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Clayton

I voted for the warn first,and if he doesn't quit,then ban him (not worded correctly),,,,,,,,but if he's been warned,and continues-what's the use?Time to swing the axe.............
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
In such an instance as Leon is talking about, along with the fact that Leon felt compelled enough to make a public poll, it would surprise me quite a bit if this particular individual hasnt been warned at least a few times already. But perhaps the severity of the warnings havent implied banishment is forthcoming?
That was one of the options given and that was the one I chose. If he has given him warnings, then the choice should have been "I've given him/her warnings, should I ban?"

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-06-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

You go into a shop and insult the owner, you should expect to be thrown out. No one has a right to participate in this forum. You should not put up with such nonsense.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Brian Horne

Maybe you should create a group of 3-4 main posters who you feel would be fair and objective. Ban the person for a week as a warning, during this time have the group study their posts/emails as a whole. If they feel that the person should be banned that would happen with their next out of line post. This gives you the power of banning for a week and you have support for anything longer.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Lance G.

I voted to ban all of the Bruces'....or.....ahhhhh....whomever it may be....if it's the Bruces'. Otherwise, Free Peter C.!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Lance G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlov2 View Post
Maybe you should create a group of 3-4 main posters who you feel would be fair and objective. Ban the person for a week as a warning, during this time have the group study their posts/emails as a whole. If they feel that the person should be banned that would happen with their next out of line post. This gives you the power of banning for a week and you have support for anything longer.
I believe they are called "Moderators".
Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Al

Default say bye bye

Leon,
Just ban him. Thats what I voted for. After all is said and done like you said Once an a@@hole always and a@@hole.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Hi Leon,
If you let us know who it is, that would help most of us make up our minds.
Otherwise, your board, so you are free to boot anyone you want.
Wes
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Leon,

Based only on the information you gave us, I would "do nothing." I read this board everyday and it is not obvious to me who you are talking about. It seems like this person gets under your skin and irks you. He might add nothing to this board, but that is true of a large percentage of our members (including me). Perhaps, that is why you have distanced yourself a little bit from Net54? Or, at least don't seem as involved. Don't let one "numskull" get under your skin, at the end of the day it is not worth it. Let it go, don't scoop to his level (personal level), and move on.

This philosophy guarantees a long life with a full head of hair as a bonus .

Lovely Day...

“The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.”

Last edited by iggyman; 05-06-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
David McDonald

Default What would I do?

Well, Leon. I wouldn't make a thread and a poll. This could end up being World War 54. I would consult my closest and most trusted hobby friends and knock it around with them. I would also speak with the offending individual (if you haven't already) and get it straight with him that, fair or not, this is not a democracy, you pay the bills and you are driving the bus, and whatever it is that is bugging you needs to cease. You took an awful lot of shit off Jay Behrens (money grubbing whore ring a bell?) before he got voted off the island; that should have been a one-and-done. No one, moderators included, should have to put up with any sort of abuse, ankle-biting or otherwise.

It's Barry Sloate, isn't it?
Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Dan Studebaker

I would ban him because of what he is doing not who he is doing it to. There are some people who cannot be taught civility and they appear in online forums with relative frequency. These people detract from the purpose of the message board independent of who they attack. When this happens some positive influences in the community decide to leave. I have seen it on a number of boards including this one.

Last edited by dstudeba; 05-06-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM

I have to agree with Wesley.... It's your board, so you can do as you choose. Life is too short to deal with morons.... Either ignore them or boot them.
Be well Brian
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Oh what the heck.... just ban him.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
It's Barry Sloate, isn't it?
A man can only take so many Seinfeld quotes.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Paul

Default ban a$$holes

Ban at will. You are the moderator. If you have a problem with a f$$$head, then cut him loose. Warnings are unnecessary and will only prolong the agony. It ain't my board, but if it were I'd tell him to f$$k off onto another board. Seriously.

Life's too short to tolerate a$$holes, especially when you have the potential to crush them. You have so much more power than you weild. Every once in awhile the citizenry need a reminder of what you're capable of.

Do yourself a favor. There is no 1st Amendment here -- you're not a state actor. This is an internet chatboard and if someone makes you have a bad time, tell them to pi$$ off. Click delete, say goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish!

You want I should take 'em outside and kick the crap out of 'em?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Tim

I'm in complete agreement with David.

Though you try and run this board 99.9% of the time as a democracy at the end of the day it's not. You have a close group of respected hobby friends that I am sure would be glad to tell you if you were overreacting. Ask them their opinion and then do what you think is right.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 05-06-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I've always been in favor of a benevolent dictatorship. Bounce it off a few friends and then do whatever you think is right.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM

I can't believe Leon would've posted this without at least warning and/or trying to work it out with the offender. So if it has come this far already, I say ban...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Barry Sloate

You guys may be on to something...I think it is me.

I feel at times that Leon is too lax with regard to rogue posters. If it were my board, I would be banning a whole lot of people. Come to think of it, maybe it's a good idea it isn't my board.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
T0NY @

I voted to simply "give him an infraction". Damn near chose "to do nothing" since many on here bicker and jab at each other all the time with no recourse.
It's just an online pre-war baseball card forum for cripes sake. It's your decision in the end though Leon. Your the gate keeper.

ps- I second Davids guess. It's Barry, isn't it.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Matt Wieder

I voted "C," give him an infection.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Jeff

I am assuming that you have already spoken with this individual and that they know that their act has grown very tired. If that is the case then I think that you have done your part to be an "enlightened and benevolent" forum owner. If it is a prolonged pattern of behavior in spite of your efforts at modifying it, IMO you owe the member nothing as they are not entitled to be a member solely because they draw breath. If in your opinion it is for the better of the board to be one member less then so be it.

And Matt, I voted "A" - "bean" him!

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-06-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Jim R

the key here for me is

"adds very little real value to the board"

see ya -find a new board.
I call these kind of people a KEYBOARD PECKER

they post just to post with no thought put into the post and have no idea what they are saying.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks and an end to the thread

Thanks to everyone who voted and commented. I just wanted to get a reality check and the responses are no different than a few years ago when there was another similar situation. Things tend to take care of themselves, or easier decisions are to be had, only later. For the moment I got what I needed. This is kind of a "negative" thread so I am going to close it. Lets get back to talkin' some cards. Thanks again!!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Josh K.

Barry should definitely be banned : )
Closed Thread