NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-22-2023, 01:06 PM
John €ffenheim

Might be glue stains from the photo.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser1979 View Post
Need help from the cleaning experts on this one. Picked up this 74 team pennant the other day. Been cleaning with water / bleach mixture and so far its done pretty good at getting the brown out. Issue I have is the photo was so bad I had to cut it out and there are some stains that just won't go away. I've tried using retro clean on the stains with no luck. Before I go to just straight bleach does anyone else have a suggestion. I only paid $25 for it so if I ruin it I wont be heart broken.
That pennant is definitely bleachable. You just need to be sure to cover the spine and not get the bleach near the spine or it'll get discolored.

Fair warning. bleaching can cause colors to bleed.

Rob has posted photos and instructions in the past. But in short, use masking tape to fix the pennant in a shower. (The spine should be at the top and the tip pointing down.) Ensure the masking tape is covering the whole of the spine. Get a bottle of spray bleach and spray the pennant working you're way from the area near the spine to the tip. Leave it to sit for 10 mins (maybe more). Then rinse (while still keeping the spine covered).
Old 09-22-2023, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Since we have no oversized 1910's pennants to talk about, let's discuss these stiff orange things a little more..

First of all, is the original "crowd at feet" Giants pennant AdFlag? It kind of seems that way, but Kyle does not show it in his blog. I actually kind of like this pennant, with the adoring crowd of men, women and a kid. All it's missing is a dog! Kyle does show Marc's Astos pennant as being AdFlag.

Now, for the stiff orange things.. besides the orange "crowd at feet" and New York Giants "Giant in the Polo Grounds," there's also this one. It's a remake of a non-AdFlag (Trench?). This one is available for the bargain price of $99.99. These three are, obviouly, all Giants. Were they done with other teams/designs? I don't think AdFlag did them because Kyle says AdFlag was out of the sports pennant business in the mid 60s. These seem later.

Speaking of Kyle...I'm jonesing for some new content on Pennant Fever. I know he's busy but he teased an article on AMCO(?).
The tiny fans worshiping the Giant pennant looks like ADFLAG's work, to me.

Those two repros you showed--originally done in the 1950s by Trench--were released around 1980 by ... Trench, best I can tell. They remade a few of their 1950s-era designs, and these repros were sold for a few years. Later versions of the repro will be framed in white, because they were printed on white felt.

New content posted on Pennant Factory just this month. New piece being written, as we speak, for Pennant Fever due out in a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:33 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

New content posted on Pennant Factory just this month. New piece being written, as we speak, for Pennant Fever due out in a few weeks.
Wow! I’m way behind on your recreations! That will give me something to read while I wait for your next pennantfever blog.

It’s a shame I hate all “your” teams.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:37 PM
John €ffenheim

Picked this one up this weekend. This is the first example of this particular pennant I've found that hadn't faded to gray.

Last edited by effe; 09-24-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:05 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by effe View Post
Picked this one up this weekend. This is the first example of this particular pennant I've found that hadn't faded to gray.

That’s a beauty!
Old 09-24-2023, 06:53 PM
Gary

Agreed. That Braves pennant looks to be in excellent condition. Great pickup.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Great pickup. Tough one, let alone in that condition. Very nice find!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 09-24-2023, 09:43 PM
Jim Reynolds

I cannot understand the auction mentality of some people.

I was watching a pennant auction. Starting price was $9.00 and it’s probably a $30 pennant. With 3 days left in the auction, someone jumped the bid from $9 to $33. Why?

I can’t understand why people feel the need to bid so high with so many days left to go. Makes me crazy.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:06 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
I cannot understand the auction mentality of some people.

I was watching a pennant auction. Starting price was $9.00 and it’s probably a $30 pennant. With 3 days left in the auction, someone jumped the bid from $9 to $33. Why?

I can’t understand why people feel the need to bid so high with so many days left to go. Makes me crazy.
I kind of like when people do that because I get a feel of the demand before the last minute and I can adjust my final bids accordingly.

Sometimes, I'll even make a bid (not at my maximum) a few days before an auction ends to see who bites. If I see my bid is automatically outbid, then I know that someone has possibly put a high max bid. If I see two people outbid me in within an hour then I know that there are a number of keen bidders.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:09 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I cannot understand the auction mentality of some people. I was watching a pennant auction. Starting price was $9.00 and it’s probably a $30 pennant. With 3 days left in the auction, someone jumped the bid from $9 to $33. Why? I can’t understand why people feel the need to bid so high with so many days left to go. Makes me crazy.
I think one theory is that a high early bid going into the close will drive out some of those who might otherwise get caught up in the last-minute frenzy and keep bidding past their original intention. Or perhaps they don't snipe and just want to put in their max bid early in case they forget about or don't want to have to remember to do any more bidding. And doesn't the jump mean there is an underbidder at about the same level, and if so how can it be seen as unreasonable? To me, it's always seemed the best approach to put in your max bid early and let it ride. If you're really intent on grabbing something, put in a big max bid. That's just me, however.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:38 PM
John €ffenheim

I don't know if anyone on my post in the pin thread, but I posted this recent pick-up there. The reason I'm posting here is to ask if anyone here knows (or thinks) these may be ASCOs. I've asked around and the Braves experts I know really had nothing to add. BMW currently has the Mathews listed on Ebay and I've seen a couple others (both Mathews). They are photos mounted to cardboard surrounded by a felt frame.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:38 PM
John €ffenheim

One more question. If you've purchased a pennant that came with a bamboo cane what do you do with it? Is there any way to display a pennant on the cane?

Last edited by effe; 09-25-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
I don't know if anyone on my post in the pin thread, but I posted this recent pick-up there. The reason I'm posting here is to ask if anyone here knows (or thinks) these may be ASCOs. I've asked around and the Braves experts I know really had nothing to add. BMW currently has the Mathews listed on Ebay and I've seen a couple others (both Mathews). They are photos mounted to cardboard surrounded by a felt frame.

I do believe these are ASCO or Wincraft. I have not seen these before, but they look very similar and with the rarity of Wisconsin related photos pennants, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Never seen anything like these....

Could be ASCO's work; but, most of their photo pennants from the 1960s had their mark printed on the backs of their photos.

Interesting pieces!
Old 09-29-2023, 05:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Hey, just a heads-up to announce a new TSOG episode that focuses on 2 beautiful early teens pennants. Two of my favorites of all-time. Hope you'll view it and give it a "like" or subscribe, if you see fit.

Many thanks for looking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJ4gSU09MU

Old 09-30-2023, 06:42 AM
Gary

Another great episode Mark.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:56 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hey, just a heads-up to announce a new TSOG episode that focuses on 2 beautiful early teens pennants. Two of my favorites of all-time. Hope you'll view it and give it a "like" or subscribe, if you see fit.

Enjoyed it Mark. I may be mistaken, but is there a midsize version of this Cubs pennant? Seems I remember hearing about at one time.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 09-30-2023, 10:24 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Enjoyed it Mark. I may be mistaken, but is there a midsize version of this Cubs pennant? Seems I remember hearing about at one time.
Thanks Gary and Mike...

No midsize version that I am aware of. But there is an oversized version. Mastro had one before going defunct. The Reproduction Company made both the Cubs and Athletics vertical pennants in 3/4 and Oversize. For whatever reason, the Athletics pennant seems to outnumber the Cubs by about 5 to 1.

Last edited by perezfan; 09-30-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:57 AM
Rob

Quote:

Absolute things of beauty!
Old 09-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Thanks Gary and Mike...

No midsize version that I am aware of. But there is an oversized version. Mastro had one before going defunct. The Reproduction Company made both the Cubs and Athletics vertical pennants in 3/4 and Oversize. For whatever reason, the Athletics pennant seems to outnumber the Cubs by about 5 to 1.
Thanks Mark. I thought I remembered two different sizes.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 10-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Marc

This 1962 Giants pennant is... strange. It is on the rare side and I have some questions about quality control. I bought the one on the bottom a week or so ago. My other two have some damage and this new one wasn't all that expensive. The first one I ever bought has the spine bleed. The second one is pretty nice, but it has a hole in it and very strange wrinkles. When I saw the third one (on the bottom) listed on ebay, it looked like it might be in better condition. It turns out that the ebay pic presented the pennant in a very favorable light and it was a kind of dirty. I've managed to clean it pretty well with a wet cloth.

When I put them all together, I noticed a few things. This new one is clearly a slightly different color, even after you take condition into account. And it is smaller (height and length). And the material is kind of different for each pennant.

But the strangest thing to me is that all three have some differences among the batters (see how many differences you can spot). Seems very strange for what was likely a very briefly made pennant. Not sure if this happened because of the screens being copied at some point? There being multiple versions of the same screen(s)? Or.... just natural variation from pennant to pennant when humans are involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange 1962.jpg (138.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg Three batters.jpg (154.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:04 PM
Rob

Very strange, Marc. To me, the size difference is not a huge mystery - just a different piece of felt. Same with any color difference.

The different graphics are harder to explain. As far as I know (or guess), this is a “one off” pennant by an unknown maker. I would think (guess) they only had one screen. This is obviously not the case, since two bats are outlined and one is filled in. Maybe Kyle has previously opined on how many pennants a maker could get from one screen? Are you able to lay one pennant on another, with a bright light behind, to see if the batter dimensions are actually different? If you can’t do that, do measurements confirm they are different?

Weird.

edit: to my eye, the two batters with the outlined bat look the same. Are they not the same? The filled in bat version has some other differences to the batter.

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 10-04-2023 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:08 PM

This maker likely had multiple screens in use, at the time of production, to accelerate completion of this run given how little time they had to make these. That year, I believe, the Dodgers and Giants ended the season in a tie, forcing a best of three playoff. So, very little time to complete the job before game#1 of the world series, where these likely sold.

The differences in the artwork may just come down to the artist making multiple drawings, each with subtle differences, to test them to see what translated best on to felt. Apparently, they liked "hollow bat" variant best; but, could live with "solid bat"--especially if they could put his stencil into use and thereby speed things up??
Old 10-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Marc

The smaller pennant actually has smaller graphics. The batter is smaller than on the other two (my close up pics of the three batters likely messed up the scale). And there are some slight differences in the two hollow batter versions. Thus, multiple versions of the screen seems to make the most sense.

How common might this have been for something made by Trench, or some other larger company? I also assume the screens wore out after some time?

Last edited by bocca001; 10-04-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 05:11 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
The smaller pennant actually has smaller graphics. The batter is smaller than on the other two
I should have been able to see that.
Old 10-05-2023, 05:14 AM
Rob

Quote:
This maker likely had multiple screens in use, at the time of production, to accelerate completion of this run given how little time they had to make these. That year, I believe, the Dodgers and Giants ended the season in a tie, forcing a best of three playoff. So, very little time to complete the job before game#1 of the world series, where these likely sold.

The differences in the artwork may just come down to the artist making multiple drawings, each with subtle differences, to test them to see what translated best on to felt. Apparently, they liked "hollow bat" variant best; but, could live with "solid bat"--especially if they could put his stencil into use and thereby speed things up??
Excellent info, as always.

I like how you said you “believe” the 1962 season ended in a tie between the Giants and Dodgers. You know damn well it did and you know how that turned out!
Old 10-05-2023, 11:01 AM
Rob

Anybody seen these before? They qualified for my "if you haven't seen it before, you should probably buy it" rule so I took a flier. Can't find any info. Even reached out to Net54's resident Japan baseball expert and he hadn't seen and couldn't find any additional detail. 27" long. Sadaharu Oh and Shigeo Nagashima.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9162.jpg (177.4 KB, 276 views)
Old 10-05-2023, 12:35 PM
Rob

^^^ Almost looks like the original 60 year old plastic!
Old 10-06-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Excellent info, as always.

I like how you said you “believe” the 1962 season ended in a tie between the Giants and Dodgers. You know damn well it did and you know how that turned out!
Yeah, it turned out about like the '51 season the previous decade....

...A Giant loss to the Yankees
Old 10-06-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
How common might this have been for something made by Trench, or some other larger company? I also assume the screens wore out after some time?
It was common for makers to employ multiple screens (stencils) during each production run; especially when rushing to complete a big order. You had to. And the more colors the pennant required, the more screens/stencils you'd need.

The screens wouldn't exactly wear out from the force of the squeegee--they're pretty resilient. But occasionally, the mesh might tear or develop holes, e.g., if it wasn't stored properly.

When I was researching Salem Screen Printers, I learned a lot about these rush orders and the logistical nightmare that they presented manufacturers. Sometimes you only had 72 hours to print your merch; and then, you had to ship the product to the venue where the retail vendors needed it. To save time, Salem just contracted with local screen printing firms. Salem would develop the artwork; but the final print job might be performed by some Chicago-area firm, closer to Chicago Stadium, where the merch was headed in 1991.

I suspect that was done in the 1960s as well. This would seemingly explain some of the inconsistencies we've been seeing in the pennants made during these rush jobs.

Here's two more from the '63 world series by Trench Mfg. Co. No clue why the "1963" orientation was altered, but it was. Probably one was made/sold in Los Angeles and the other was made in Trench's Buffalo factory, then sold in the Bronx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-06 090122.jpg (77.6 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-06 090219.jpg (53.9 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Domer05; 10-06-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Rob

Maybe someone said "1 96 3 looks really awkward"?
Old 10-07-2023, 09:14 AM
Rick

Quote:
Maybe someone said "1 96 3 looks really awkward"?
Only to a Giant fan having to sit this one out.

Personally, I always preferred the version on the top.

Rick
Old 10-07-2023, 09:29 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Anybody seen these before? They qualified for my "if you haven't seen it before, you should probably buy it" rule so I took a flier. Can't find any info. Even reached out to Net54's resident Japan baseball expert and he hadn't seen and couldn't find any additional detail. 27" long. Sadaharu Oh and Shigeo Nagashima.
Wow, those are great!
Old 10-07-2023, 09:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Only to a Giant fan having to sit this one out.

Personally, I always preferred the version on the top.

Rick
I like the dark blue but not the 1 96 3.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:53 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
It was common for makers to employ multiple screens (stencils) during each production run; especially when rushing to complete a big order. You had to. And the more colors the pennant required, the more screens/stencils you'd need.

The screens wouldn't exactly wear out from the force of the squeegee--they're pretty resilient. But occasionally, the mesh might tear or develop holes, e.g., if it wasn't stored properly.

When I was researching Salem Screen Printers, I learned a lot about these rush orders and the logistical nightmare that they presented manufacturers. Sometimes you only had 72 hours to print your merch; and then, you had to ship the product to the venue where the retail vendors needed it. To save time, Salem just contracted with local screen printing firms. Salem would develop the artwork; but the final print job might be performed by some Chicago-area firm, closer to Chicago Stadium, where the merch was headed in 1991.

I suspect that was done in the 1960s as well. This would seemingly explain some of the inconsistencies we've been seeing in the pennants made during these rush jobs.

Here's two more from the '63 world series by Trench Mfg. Co. No clue why the "1963" orientation was altered, but it was. Probably one was made/sold in Los Angeles and the other was made in Trench's Buffalo factory, then sold in the Bronx.
There was a very large “find” of these back in the late 80’s. Unfortunately, I cannot remember which one was found in quantity.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
This 1962 Giants pennant is... strange. It is on the rare side and I have some questions about quality control. I bought the one on the bottom a week or so ago. My other two have some damage and this new one wasn't all that expensive. The first one I ever bought has the spine bleed. The second one is pretty nice, but it has a hole in it and very strange wrinkles. When I saw the third one (on the bottom) listed on ebay, it looked like it might be in better condition. It turns out that the ebay pic presented the pennant in a very favorable light and it was a kind of dirty. I've managed to clean it pretty well with a wet cloth.

When I put them all together, I noticed a few things. This new one is clearly a slightly different color, even after you take condition into account. And it is smaller (height and length). And the material is kind of different for each pennant.

But the strangest thing to me is that all three have some differences among the batters (see how many differences you can spot). Seems very strange for what was likely a very briefly made pennant. Not sure if this happened because of the screens being copied at some point? There being multiple versions of the same screen(s)? Or.... just natural variation from pennant to pennant when humans are involved.
Quality control must not have been great as with my version they literally cut another piece of screened felt and glued it on the pennant at the bottom. I don’t know what’s underneath, but most likely American League champions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1930.jpg (201.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 10-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Rob

Much nicer in person. The plastic must've been 40-50 years old. Tape practically turned to dust.

PS...Shipped on 10/1, delivered on 10/7 from Japan. That's faster than mail from Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japan Pennants.jpg (190.9 KB, 215 views)
Old 10-08-2023, 03:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Much nicer in person. The plastic must've been 40-50 years old. Tape practically turned to dust.

PS...Shipped on 10/1, delivered on 10/7 from Japan. That's faster than mail from Canada.
Beautiful! What size are they?
Old 10-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Rob

Quote:
Beautiful! What size are they?
10.5" by 28" not including fringe.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Quality control must not have been great as with my version they literally cut another piece of screened felt and glued it on the pennant at the bottom. I don’t know what’s underneath, but most likely American League champions.
Even a Giants fan can appreciate how cool and rare that is!
Old 10-09-2023, 02:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
10.5" by 28" not including fringe.
Nice! Basically, “full size.” 👍
Old 10-09-2023, 06:58 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Much nicer in person. The plastic must've been 40-50 years old. Tape practically turned to dust. PS...Shipped on 10/1, delivered on 10/7 from Japan. That's faster than mail from Canada.
Wow, what a difference! Are those real signatures?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Wow, what a difference! Are those real signatures?
They sure appear to be. Not sure how prevalent forgery is in Japan. I'm thinking not as likely as in the U.S.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
They sure appear to be. Not sure how prevalent forgery is in Japan. I'm thinking not as likely as in the U.S.
Send them to PSA!
Old 10-11-2023, 06:27 AM
Jim Reynolds

Pennant sighting!

I was watching a video online of when the New York football Giants stadium opened in 1976. They showed a scene of fans tailgating outside, and I spotted this beautiful Giants pennant on the table with the food.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4525.jpg (48.2 KB, 184 views)
Old 10-11-2023, 07:33 AM
Rob

Quote:
Pennant sighting!

I was watching a video online of when the New York football Giants stadium opened in 1976. They showed a scene of fans tailgating outside, and I spotted this beautiful Giants pennant on the table with the food.
Are they using it for a place mat?

I had this sighting recently. I think this was an ad on eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yale Ad.jpg (200.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Yale.jpg (125.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 10-11-2023, 10:42 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Interesting

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football-c...ription-071515
Old 10-11-2023, 10:50 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:

What’s peculiar about these is that the style is unlike any other pennants I’ve seen. Closest to Keezer, I guess, but I’m not sure it’s them. Can you post a pic of the rear stitching?

Last edited by thetahat; 10-11-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 02:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Cool….but I’m not sure I need seven of them.