NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't understand why these Bowman minor league cards are so expensive when the 80s and 90s minor league cards, also sometimes issued years before the ML rookie cards, sell for next to nothing.

Example, you could probably pick up a Mint 1986 Palm Beach Randy Johnson, a top 10 or so all time pitcher, three years before his RCs, for under $100. And the pops are nothing compared to the Bowmans I would imagine.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 AM
D@vid Fel@

It really is crazy. The prospect first bowman cards go for insane prices and then it starts all over again five years later when their first RCs come out.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't understand why these Bowman minor league cards are so expensive when the 80s and 90s minor league cards, also sometimes issued years before the ML rookie cards, sell for next to nothing.

Example, you could probably pick up a Mint 1986 Palm Beach Randy Johnson, a top 10 or so all time pitcher, three years before his RCs, for under $100. And the pops are nothing compared to the Bowmans I would imagine.
I understand what you are saying, and you are correct. But not all the minor league cards from the 1980s are quite that cheap. I have a 1980 Reading Phillies AA card of Ryne Sandberg (his first card) because that is the local minor league team for me.

I didn't think I had ever seen a Sandberg PSA Reading Phillies card sell for under $300 (at least not since I started following the card). When I looked at PSA's auction results listings, the cheapest Sandberg Reading Phillies card listed sold for $300.

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerfanjohn View Post
Literally more expensive than any of his dads cards and his dad is in the HOF!
Quote:

I don't get it either? Many HOF's cards sell for a lot less than some of these current prospects, but maybe it's a generational thing, who knows?

I remember reading, from a member here, who posted up what he sold a 1 of 1 Nathan MacKinnon card for a fews years back and posted what it was currently selling for. That, in itself, was enough for me to steer clear!

He sold it for $4500 U.S. and the current owner had it on E-Bay and the highest bid he received was $400. That was quite the loss if there was no reserve on it?
Nathan Mackinnon had a great year this year so I assume most of his cards rebounded some but checking out the current lists on E-Bay, there are literally 100's and 100's of his cards!
https://www.beckett.com/news/nathan-...ey-collectors/

I guess to play this game, one needs a lot of expendable money.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

If you guys keep trying to relate different era of cards to each other you’ll never understand it. It’s a different beast, it’s more like a very volatile stock. It has nothing to do with the old performing stocks. It’s all about the here and now.

Like I said last year I sold a Cody Bellinger for 275 after buying it for 3 dollars. Now that sell for half the price. It might never see that price again.if he has a chance any good year it might get close.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:47 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I do pick up some low end rookies to speculate...went with Judge and Thames last year. Did great on Judge, should have known better with Thames...he's too old, but I saw him in spring training and his arms look like engine blocks.

There are a lot of promising rookies over the last two years, but take if from a guy who owns an 800 lot of Tommy Gregg, it doesn't always work out.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
If you guys keep trying to relate different era of cards to each other you’ll never understand it. It’s a different beast, it’s more like a very volatile stock. It has nothing to do with the old performing stocks. It’s all about the here and now.

Like I said last year I sold a Cody Bellinger for 275 after buying it for 3 dollars. Now that sell for half the price. It might never see that price again.if he has a chance any good year it might get close.
Yeah Mookie is a good example of that volatility. He has a good month and a half and some of his cards appear to have more than doubled. Day trading, I guess.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Bowman is one of those legacy sets and Bowman Chrome/Topps Chrome in basketball are looked at as the most important cards for modern players.

SP Authentic has the same weight in hockey. There will always be a premium for these sets.

When Bowman Chrome came out in '97, Jose Cruz, Jr. was the biggest name in baseball prospecting. Did he pan out, not really-but people went absolutely crazy to see Chrome and Refractor versions of his cards. It never slowed down!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:53 AM

The Bowman cards generally go for the most money because of their "First Card" status. Usually the Bowman Chrome or Bowman Draft set is the first appearance any player has in a card set as a "professional" which is why other minor league and Team USA cards are way cheaper even if they technically came out first. You can have Bryce Harper's Team USA autos for a significant discount over his Bowman rookie even though the USA cards were issued much earlier. Same goes for Kershaw, Scherzer, etc.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
Bowman is one of those legacy sets and Bowman Chrome/Topps Chrome in basketball are looked at as the most important cards for modern players.

SP Authentic has the same weight in hockey. There will always be a premium for these sets.

When Bowman Chrome came out in '97, Jose Cruz, Jr. was the biggest name in baseball prospecting. Did he pan out, not really-but people went absolutely crazy to see Chrome and Refractor versions of his cards. It never slowed down!
I've seen a lot of hype in the past 40 years I've been collecting. Never saw the sense in chasing these cards, not my thing. I figure for every Mike Trout that you could score on, there are 100 Alex Rios'. Everyone in my generation was going to retire on Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly and Darryl Strawberry rookies, didn't work out so well. Most of these cards, especially graded cards where the guy didn't pan out, are less than worthless.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Ne@l K

Soto is an apparent stud. So was Joe Charboneau for that matter ….

The modern card market is fast and furious. People made a boatload on Judge last year, and this year Torres could be the new guy.

Unless Soto gets three hits in one game …. then the price skyrockets lol

Want to make extra money on a Trout you are looking to sell? List it after a home run!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 AM
David Peck

When I was a kid in 1985 Dwight Gooden rookies jumped up to $15 or so. There were millions of copies from the three card manufactures and they still brought 30 times what a pack cost.

Fast forward to today and the production totals are a fraction and while the demand is not as high for the product you get similar explosive results that are just wildly exaggerated per card because of scarcity.

If you look at this from a purely financial perspective let's say you have 1 million copies of the 1985 Topps Dwight Gooden mentioned above. It has a market cap of $15 million. From a quick EBAY search it looks like there are roughly 1,000 Mike Trout Bowman Refractor's from the various copies in total. Lets assume a $15,000 average price. You once again have a $15 million dollar market cap.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
When I was a kid in 1985 Dwight Gooden rookies jumped up to $15 or so. There were millions of copies from the three card manufactures and they still brought 30 times what a pack cost.

Fast forward to today and the production totals are a fraction and while the demand is not as high for the product you get similar explosive results that are just wildly exaggerated per card because of scarcity.

If you look at this from a purely financial perspective let's say you have 1 million copies of the 1985 Topps Dwight Gooden mentioned above. It has a market cap of $15 million. From a quick EBAY search it looks like there are roughly 1,000 Mike Trout Bowman Refractor's from the various copies in total. Lets assume a $15,000 average price. You once again have a $15 million dollar market cap.
Yes, but there were maybe one or two other Gooden rookies. There are probably 500 other varieties of Trout rookies that were massively produced.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Yes, but there were maybe one or two other Gooden rookies. There are probably 500 other varieties of Trout rookies that were massively produced.
The Update has a huge print run, but not the variations of the card. Some of those are extremely limited. Then you have the "boutique" issues like Sterling and Finest (to a lesser extent) where the run is limited on base and refractors are numbered. Comparing Trout RCs to some 80s RCs is a stretch imo ….

The Update could easily go the way of the 89 UD Griffey, but I think this could very well be a $500 card in PSA 10 and perhaps even settle at that level. For the record, if it hits 500 I'm a seller lol!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others