NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Default How Tamper Proof are the BVG / PSA / SGC cases?

Hello All,
I am new to this forum. I have started set building some of the 1950's sets and heard this was a great forum, glad to be a part of it.

I recently purchased a 1953 Bowman Card graded by BVG. When I received it, I noticed that there were some slight stress cracks (that is probably the best description) in the plastic on the right hand edge. A few up by the tag, and a few about midway down on that right edge. The two pieces are seated correctly, I compared it to a few BGS cases I had.

I also looked at the history of this particular card on VintageCard, and as far as I can tell, the same card that was sold to me, is in earlier pictures as well.

Sorry to be longwinded. My question is, can a BVG (Or PSA and SGC for that matter) case be opened and cards switched out without breaking the plastic? Is this something commonplace to worry about?

I just wanted to know some of the experienced members opinions. Thanks! Have a great weekend!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Welcome to the boards. To help answer your question I can give you my take. I have never heard of a BVG holder being tampered with as far as switching a card out. I have seen the older PSA holders that have been tampered with. The new PSA holder is tamper proof to the best of my knowledge. As far as the SGC holder I am not sure about. That is my 2 cents. I am sure others will have input on this subject.

Here is a recent thread on a Mantle card that might interest you. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=214067

Last edited by jb67; 11-20-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Welcome to the boards. To help answer your question I can give you my take. I have never heard of a BVG holder being tampered with as far as switching a card out. I have seen the older PSA holders that have been tampered with. The new PSA holder is tamper proof to the best of my knowledge. As far as the SGC holder I am not sure about. That is my 2 cents. I am sure others will have input on this subject.
I agree with this. Just to add a couple things, yes, SGC cases can be tampered with too. However, from my experience, whether it be PSA or SGC, you can usually tell a tampered case by frosting around the edges where it was glued back together.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 PM

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it! Here is the same picture I sent a buddy who has been collecting vintage for a long time just to show him the card. First thing he said was "did you check out that case for tampering on the right hand side." I shared the picture in the event anyone was interested in terms of the particular BVG case I spoke of. Have a great weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (3.4 KB, 236 views)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Steven Finley

If a BGS/BVG case has been tampered with there will be chunks missing from it. I can open a PSA or SGC slab in about 10 seconds. I need goggles for beckett, seriously you will take shards to the eye trying to open those bricks.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
If a BGS/BVG case has been tampered with there will be chunks missing from it. I can open a PSA or SGC slab in about 10 seconds. I need goggles for beckett, seriously you will take shards to the eye trying to open those bricks.
Agreed, you have to really hammer a BVG case to get it to open. I saw a video once where someone boiled a BVG case and it came out perfectly fine, no moisture got in at all.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:18 AM
David M.

This could be a totally innocent question, but should we really be telling someone brand new to the board which graded cases are best to crack open?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:56 AM

Ok great! That makes me feel a lot better. I was nervous when I received the card when I saw the marks on the case as I have always wanted this card and was excited to be able to buy it. I appreciate everyone replying to the thread!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:39 AM
Carl Lamendola

Default How Tamper Proof are the BVG / PSA / SGC cases?

I believe you issue is that the BVG cases are susceptible to cracking. They are too thick. I recently bought a completely graded set from someone (150+) cards and 4 had stress cracks as if they were tampered with but I know the guy and he sent them to me in the exact packaging that they sent it to him.
A BVG, GAI, and new PSA should be completely tamper proof. Overall, the SGC card will be more accurately and consistently graded.
So, most crack outs are probably PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by clamendo; 11-22-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:27 AM
David Peck

Beckett cases are extremely easy to crack but you will do permanent damage to the holder.

GAI are the toughest and the new PSA holder is right there with them.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
This could be a totally innocent question, but should we really be telling someone brand new to the board which graded cases are best to crack open?
I would generally agree but don't really think any of this is a huge secret or anything that hasn't been discussed before.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Rich Klein

The best cases by far are the BGS/BVG Cases;

PSA has made very notable improvements in recent years to their cases

I don't know enough about the SGC cases to talk about them

Rich
Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM

Great feedback, thank you to everyone that took the time to reply. I was really happy to see the comment about BVG cases being prone to stress cracking because of their thickness. I wasn't too concerned about the card being tampered with, it looks good to me. I just didn't know if that type of thing was possible and was concerned due to the stress marks. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 AM
J0hn Collin$

The older PSA cases are fairly easy to open with a can opener and a flathead screwdriver, but the hermetic seal would usually give it away, I think. The plastic splinters and turns white. I would think that any case that is opened like this and then "tampered" with would obviously look like it had been broken if someone tries to put it back together.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Thought I would weigh in and retell this story about the durability of Beckett cases.

About 4 years ago my wife had purchased a 52 Bowman Campanella for me for Christmas. When she gets a card for me she always tries to buy a graded one for the peace of mind that she isn't getting an altered or fake card. Anyway, she was tracking the shipping of the card on line a saw that it had been marked "delivered". She looked around and couldn't find the package with the other mail and packages that had been placed on our front porch. She was about to call the post office to see what was going on when my daughter saw our family dog in the back yard with something in his mouth.

Long story short, Rascal the dog is a lover of vintage cards apparently and was trying to chew through. He had already shredded the envelope and cardboard and was trying to get through the thick Beckett case before his attempt was thwarted by my wife and daughter.

As you can see from the picture the case held strong and the card wasn't in the least bit damaged. Normally I break out all graded cards because I prefer them raw for display but this story is so great it is still encased.

Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Mike

As you can see from the picture the case held strong and the card wasn't in the least bit damaged. Normally I break out all graded cards because I prefer them raw for display but this story is so great it is still encased.

Drew[/QUOTE]

That's a good looking Campy, well-centered and shows nicely for the grade!

Last edited by MCoxon; 11-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:13 AM
J0hn Collin$

LOL, that is an awesome story. Roy Campanella - HOF thwarter of curveballs in the dirt, foul tips into the fingers - and even the occasional canine molar!