NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM

Default How does PSA Grade Pen Marked Cards if No Qualifier is Requested?

The 54 Hank Aaron card has a pen mark on the reverse over the card number. My understanding is that SGC will grade any cards with a mark as a 2. If I submitted this to PSA with the request of no qualifier do you think it would get graded as a 3 or a 4? My understanding is that PSA will drop a card by two grades if a no qualifier is requested. Looking for someone to comment who has experience with PSA grading marked cards. Any guidance will be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 4-24-19 at 11.48 PM (1).jpg (42.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Image 4-24-19 at 11.48 PM.jpg (41.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

MK is not one they usually remove. So if PSA thinks it's an Excellent card otherwise, it would still most likely get a 5(MK) despite requesting "no qualifiers". They reserve the right to leave the qualifier on there. Normally NQ is used for things like OC or ST. A 5(MK) would count like a PSA 3 in their registry competition.
If you really don't want to get the MK qualifier, you might need to call PSA. But I've received cards back graded PSA 1(MK) before. And I've also had multiple cards with marks not get graded as MK, probably because the grader missed it somehow. The two cards I'm thinking about were fairly obvious to spot the writing or additional ink.

Quote:
Q: What are “Qualifiers” and “No Grades”?
A: A “Qualifier” is a term used when an item meets all of the criteria for a particular grade but may still have one significant flaw. Depending on the severity of the flaw, we may be able to “qualify” the item for a higher grade by identifying this indiscretion on the label, for example: OC – Off Center or PD– Print Defects. You have the option of selecting “No Qualifiers” on the submission form; however, please keep in mind the card grade will be lowered depending on the severity. Moreover, there are certain qualifiers that PSA will not remove such as MK –marked and MC – miscut, for example.
https://www.psacard.com/resources/faq
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

That card is beautiful and looks well centered. I would guess it would be a 6(mk) unless there is something I can’t see. Take the qualifier.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:35 AM
Glyn Parson

Last I checked you can’t opt out of the mk qualifier.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:38 PM
J0hn Collin$

I have a '58 Mantle / Aaron that would otherwise be a 4 or a 5 with what I thought were marks on the back but it may be considered a stain from an album. I saw it and thought it should probably have had the MK qualifier but it was a straight PSA 2.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 PM

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question. I now know the qualifier for the pen mark will not be removed by PSA. I do think the card will grade at a minimum as a PSA 5 MK. I just now need to decide if I submit to PSA with the SGC holder or remove the card from the case. Thanks again for your help.